• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Insect Repellent In Rooms?

HtomSirveaux

Mouseketeer
When reports first came out of complimentary insect repellent in the parks/DS, it was also mentioned that it would be in guest rooms as well. Since then it has become available in the public locations, but I haven't heard anything further about the rooms. Is anyone there now and can confirm whether or not is is in rooms, and if so are there any other details (type, etc)?

IMO Disney is taking a big chance on this one. Can you imagine the claims getting filed due to a bad reaction to the Disney supplied chemicals.

:earsboy: Bill

Disney is already seeing people cancel trips because of Zika. We have had 2 clients in the last few weeks cancel their trips. Disney doesn't need headlines saying pregnant woman contracts Zika while riding It's a Small World.

IMO Disney is taking a big chance on this one. Can you imagine the claims getting filed due to a bad reaction to the Disney supplied chemicals.

:earsboy: Bill

I can't think this would be a huge issue. How is insect repellent any different than the other chemicals they supply in-room? Plenty of folks are allergic to lotions, soaps, and detergent, which they supply. This is to say nothing of pool chemicals, commercial cleaners/sanitizers, or the professional laundry chemicals used on a daily basis. am not a lawyer, but I have to think that an over-the-counter product is fine to distribute.

I can't think this would be a huge issue. How is insect repellent any different than the other chemicals they supply in-room? Plenty of folks are allergic to lotions, soaps, and detergent, which they supply. This is to say nothing of pool chemicals, commercial cleaners/sanitizers, or the professional laundry chemicals used on a daily basis. am not a lawyer, but I have to think that an over-the-counter product is fine to distribute.

Just because Disney supplies the repellent doesn't mean you have to use it. I don't see any liability here.

Just because Disney supplies the repellent doesn't mean you have to use it. I don't see any liability here.
Right, plus I am sure they are prepared to supply MSDS sheets, or the like, to any guest who requests that info, or the guest could always just look them up on their own.

In the restaurant industry we have to make an effort to help a guest with a known allergy navigate the menu, and a reasonable effort in food prep to prevent cross-contact. We're allowed to sell common allergens though. There has to be SOME personal accountability for managing allergies!

When reports first came out of complimentary insect repellent in the parks/DS, it was also mentioned that it would be in guest rooms as well. Since then it has become available in the public locations, but I haven't heard anything further about the rooms. Is anyone there now and can confirm whether or not is is in rooms, and if so are there any other details (type, etc)?

I saw a picture someone posted yesterday of the can of OFF in their room.

The strange thing is that none of us have even been bitten by anything at Disney!
We always comment how Disney is so bug free.
Except for the bees that buzz around the soda machines that are outside.

The strange thing is that none of us have even been bitten by anything at Disney!

We noticed we were getting bites on our June trip on our evening AK park nights. This was a new thing for us to notice too. But they probably don't spray the same in AK park like they do in the other parks bcuz of the animals. We definitely wished we'd had bug spray on those nights. We all got bites.

We noticed we were getting bites on our June trip on our evening AK park nights. This was a new thing for us to notice too. But they probably don't spray the same in AK park like they do in the other parks bcuz of the animals. We definitely wished we'd had bug spray on those nights. We all got bites.
Good to know. Thanks! Definitely makes sense not over spraying near the animals.

Typically areas with animals will need and get more spray. AK might be buggier just be because it's more foliage and less concrete.

We were at YC last week and housekeeping brought that can of repellent to our room. We never get bitten at WDW but I packed it and brought it home to use.

And the "love bugs" :)

Disney is providing bug repellent to its guests on site to be proactive and now the guests are taking it home to use like it's a half empty 1.5 oz bottle of shampoo? Here comes the next tix price hike.

:sad2: smh

Disney is providing bug repellent to its guests on site to be proactive and now the guests are taking it home to use like it's a half empty 1.5 oz bottle of shampoo? Here comes the next tix price hike.

Guests cannot take the ones at the park. They spray and leave the cans there, so I doubt anything will be added to the park ticket price in direct relation to the repellent. Guests might take the can from the rooms, but if anything, that would be added to the room price not park ticket - however, Disney will no doubt get a huge volume discount on this product and is probably paying less than 50c a can. Over the average length of stay per guest, I suspect this is not a significant outlay. I also suspect, regardless of whether the guest removes the product from the room, Disney will replace it with a new can for each new guest anyway.

Thx for the heads up. Was worried about going to Florida in December and next April. They are now saying they don't know how Zika might affect baby, toddler or children's brain, which are still developing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter