Inner Harbor with 3,5 and 7 year old

bergenparent

Earning My Ears
I am thinking of doing

Acquarium, Science Museum, Port Discovery (is a 7 year old too big for this),Urban Pirates, B& O Railroad Museum (are there hands on activites here that kids will like) (can the kids go on any trainsor are they only display) maybe Fort McHenry.What else am I missing? Is the Maritime Museum good for kids?
We will stay during the week to avoid high crowds.
We are coming from Northern NJ so if there are any recommeded places to stop please advise. Also I would prefer a hotel within walking distance to most of Inner Harbor attractions and within walking distance to a full gym.

Also coming from the turnpike in NJ is Longwood Gardens on the way? And are there any recommended day trips from Baltimore? I thought of DC but the 3 year old will be too small for most things

We would stay 2 or 3 nights.

I am thinking of doing

Acquarium, Science Museum, Port Discovery (is a 7 year old too big for this),Urban Pirates, B& O Railroad Museum (are there hands on activites here that kids will like) (can the kids go on any trainsor are they only display) maybe Fort McHenry.What else am I missing? Is the Maritime Museum good for kids?
We are coming from Northern NJ so if there are any recommeded places to stop please advise. Also I would prefer a hotel within walking distance to most of Inner Harbor attractions and within walking distance to a full gym.

Also coming from the turnpike in NJ is Longwood Gardens on the way? And are there any recommended day trips from Baltimore? I thought of DC but the 3 year old will be too small for most things

I would do Fort McHenry; beautiful views. Lots of room to run and so historic. This year is the 200 anniversary of the War of 1812.

We were in Baltimore for the tall ships and parked at and walked through the Days Inn. I was surprised how nice it looked and was close to the Inner Harbor. There are several hotels right on the harbor but I don't remember the names.

Not too far off I95 just into Maryland after you cross from Delaware is The Plumpton Park Zoo. It is small but interesting. Longwood Gardens would be quite out of your way. If you are looking for stops on I95, I recommend this book.

If the Orioles are in town, you could go to a game. The stadium is right there. Or if they are away, you could tour the stadium. The Delaware beaches are about a 2 hour drive. The Notional Zoo in DC would be good for all.

Have fun.

I am thinking of doing

If they're baseball fans, Camden Yards is a great stadium. Not sure if you're a Yankees fan, but if so, they regularly play in Baltimore, and going to see them there is far cheaper than in NYC.

I would argue that Washington has tons of stuff for a 3-year-old. I loved the Air and Space Museum, the Museum of Natural History, and above all, the National Zoo. Even if you didn't want to do downtown DC, a side day trip to the zoo would be lots of fun.

Alternately, you could always go to the bay beaches. Or, if you think your kids would be good on a boat, there are plenty of harbor/bay boat trips that get you out in the water a bit.

The duck boat tours are fun. Kids love them and they get quackers to use while on the trip.
There is also the Imax theater.. Not sure if you want to be indoors

Hotels are very expensive right on the harbor but I think worth it only because you are right in the midst of everything.

Aquarium is fantastic. Your kids will love it!

I stayed at the Embassy Suites in the Inner Harbor in May. It was right across the street. Very nice, though geared more to business travel. There is a Sheraton right behind it and it is maybe two or three blocks from Camden Yards.

I agree that if the 3 yo can do Inner Harbor, just about anything FREE in DC will be fine - Air and Space, American History, Natural History (my kids' favorite), even just walking around and checking out all the memorials and the Tidal Basin. The zoo is nice too and they are finally re-doing some parts of it. I'd avoid things like the Crime and Puishment and Spy Museums with the little one, but there's so much other stuff to see.

Mount Vernon is also one of my kids' favorites if you wanted to go a bit further south into Va.

Sign up for DC and Baltimore Groupon and Living Social deals as well as the Wahington Post's Capital Deal - they sometimes offer really good deals.

where would be the best place for a day trip as well. Annapolis (would drive there), or take the train to DC and spend the day or we can stop for the day in Philadelphia on the way home. Traveling to Philadelphia might be the least desirable as driving in and out of the city will likely be a hassle as compared to the other 2.

Alternately, you could always go to the bay beaches. Or, if you think your kids would be good on a boat, there are plenty of harbor/bay boat trips that get you out in the water a bit.

What are the better bay beaches. St. Michaels looks nice but hten it takes us 75 miles farther from home. Any other nice towns to spend 1 or 2 days ?

FWIW, my then 2 yo LOVED exploring the USS Constellation. She had to peek into every nook and cranny.

A Ripley's Believe it or Not museum, mirror maze, and 4D experience just opened in one of the Harborplace buildings as did a Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. Restaurant if you like those things.

FWIW, my then 2 yo LOVED exploring the USS Constellation. She had to peek into every nook and cranny.

My kids loved those ships too. Went through twice. RR museum is great. Several cars you can walk through. Don't miss the outbuilding with big diesel engines. Other faves were port disc and science center. We did Duck boats years ago but they shut down.

Least favorite by far was aquarium. Expensive. Way too crowded. Dolphin show is more of a PSA for clean water than a dolphin show

where would be the best place for a day trip as well. Annapolis (would drive there), or take the train to DC and spend the day or we can stop for the day in Philadelphia on the way home. Traveling to Philadelphia might be the least desirable as driving in and out of the city will likely be a hassle as compared to the other 2.

I would do either DC or Philadelphia before I would do Annapolis. Annapolis is nice, but can't compare to your other options in my opinion (especially in terms of its appeal to younger kids).

Since others have mentioned the DC options, here are the Philadelphia options:

Great for younger kids:
Please Touch Museum
Franklin Institute
Academy of Natural Sciences
Philadelphia Zoo
Franklin Square
Adventure Aquarium/Camden Children's Garden
Ride the Ducks tour

Other attractions:
Independence Mall (including Independence Hall & the Liberty Bell)
National Constitution Center
Philadelphia Museum of Art
Reading Terminal Market
Franklin Court
Betsy Ross House
Penn's Landing/Battleship New Jersey
Eastern State Penitentiary
Christ Church
Fairmount Park
Italian Market
Chinatown (Depending on where you're from)

Also, Sesame Place and Dorney Park are in the suburbs of Philadelphia, and Hershey Park isn't far away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter