Innaugural Coverage

For me, today was not necessarily about Obama, it was about History. It was about the firsts. It was about MLK, it was about how, as Obama said, 60 years ago, his father could not have even eaten in certain places in DC and now, his son, has been raised to the highest job in the country.

It gives me hope for the country about equality and the desire to allow all to have a voice regardless of race, creed, religion, sexual orientation or even MIDDLE names!

Anyone who thinks the American people do not know who they voted for has to just step briefly bak in time and look at who they voted for in the past.

I am proud to say I brought history to the lives of 700 children today. As I said to a 5 year old as we watched together, 'WHen you are grown and someone asks you where you were, you can say, right here at school!."

Here is to a new day dawning, a new day full of possibilities, where ANYONE can be President of the United States, where ANYONE who has good ideas, a solid sense of patriotism and a HUGE backbone can be president!

::::stepping off the soapbox, dusting it off, and handing it back to Pete::::

I think that I will vote for him again in 4 years, he will need the time to unravel the chaotic mess the Bush's have made of everything. Then, I will vote for Hillary for two terms.

I think that I will vote for him again in 4 years, he will need the time to unravel the chaotic mess the Bush's have made of everything. Then, I will vote for Hillary for two terms.

After this post, I can safely say... I rest my case.

"60 years ago, his father could not have even eaten in certain places in DC"

It was reported on our local news yesterday (1/19/2009) that as late as 1968, minorities were not allowed to use the bridges to cross from Daytona on the mainland to Daytona Beach.

This is not ancient history.

Walt Disney Wiorld opened three short years later.

Please keep this thread free from any political debate.

Should you feel the need to discuss the participants and outcome of the next election, please feel free to visit the Community Board.

Hi all,
First, thanks Pete for setting up the feed.

I was there at the Mall (in front of Washington Monument) for the actual event (the only thing I saw was a Jumbotron TV and got cold). The mood on the Mall was one of hope and uplifted spirits. It was mobbed, like it looked on TV but there were strangers hugging each other, people who met on the subway coming in sharing blankets to keep warm, taking photos for people to memorialize the event.

It was a challenge getting out of the Mall, the exits were somewhat controlled to funnel crowd but eventually I was able to get to subway and home.

Interesting point.

I wish people would point out more how far we have come and not dwell on the past so much.
The Reverend Joseph Lowery ,at the inauguration today, I thought summed up best way Mr. Obama thinks about race relations.

I wish upon all Americans, to be judged on their actions and not skin color. And I think we can all agree on that. Good luck to all in the coming years and God Bless America.

"60 years ago, his father could not have even eaten in certain places in DC"

It was reported on our local news yesterday (1/19/2009) that as late as 1968, minorities were not allowed to use the bridges to cross from Daytona on the mainland to Daytona Beach.

This is not ancient history.

Walt Disney Wiorld opened three short years later.

Should you feel the need to discuss the participants and outcome of the next election, please feel free to visit the Community Board.

I am so disappointed in this thread.

87 posts ------ over 1300 views

not ONE mention of CAKE.

Slipping . . . . slipping . . . . slipping

For me, today was not necessarily about Obama, it was about History. It was about the firsts. It was about MLK, it was about how, as Obama said, 60 years ago, his father could not have even eaten in certain places in DC and now, his son, has been raised to the highest job in the country.

It gives me hope for the country about equality and the desire to allow all to have a voice regardless of race, creed, religion, sexual orientation or even MIDDLE names!

Anyone who thinks the American people do not know who they voted for has to just step briefly bak in time and look at who they voted for in the past.

I am proud to say I brought history to the lives of 700 children today. As I said to a 5 year old as we watched together, 'WHen you are grown and someone asks you where you were, you can say, right here at school!."

Here is to a new day dawning, a new day full of possibilities, where ANYONE can be President of the United States, where ANYONE who has good ideas, a solid sense of patriotism and a HUGE backbone can be president!

::::stepping off the soapbox, dusting it off, and handing it back to Pete::::

The best post I have read in weeks. Congratulations--well done.

Yes, but I thought it was odd that after introducing "George Herbert Walker Bush", "William Jefferson Clinton" they introduced him as Barack H. Obama. Avoid much?

I thought the ceremonies were wonderful. The whole time I'm thinking "How difficult must it be to coordinate all this?" and "What must his daughters be thinking???"

I wish people would point out more how far we have come and not dwell on the past so much.

Not dwelling in the past, but more pointing out that the past was not all that long ago.

Trust me when I tell you that I see how far we've come. We live in a time when I have no fear of letting you who I really am.

P.S. I, for one, was mesmorized by Aretha'a hat.

I am so disappointed in this thread.

87 posts ------ over 1300 views

not ONE mention of CAKE.

Slipping . . . . slipping . . . . slipping

I am THINKING of cake, does that count?????? :)

I don't know, show me a fat native american lesbian president and then I might believe that statement. :rotfl2:

In all seriousness, I do see this as a very hopeful time but I hope everyone isn't expecting too much too soon and become disillusioned. As they say with weight loss, we didn't get into this mess overnight and we aren't going to get out of it overnight.

Sorry Kevin, :wave2: I couldn't resist.

I read the girls were having a sleepover over with their friends last night while mom and dad were at the balls. Imagine what it would be like to be invited to a sleepover in the White House.:thumbsup2

I heard that too...wouldn't that be awesome? I also read that someone set up a scavenger hunt for the girls throughout the residence while mom & dad were out. How cool is that?!!

I read the girls were having a sleepover over with their friends last night while mom and dad were at the balls. Imagine what it would be like to be invited to a sleepover in the White House.:thumbsup2

Thanks Pete! We had a TV here at work so I got to watch on and off. I set the DVR at home. I had tear's running down my face when he took the oath. It was a great moment for this country and the world.:grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter