Injured AGAIN, should I just give up running?

WaDiWo

WDWFan!
Hi all!

Two weeks ago I got injured running again, this time an ankle stress fracture. I just got finished with 5 months of crutches for a hip fracture since spring and summer, and now I'm back on crutches. Everyone's telling me not to run anymore, but it would be like giving up playing the piano or telling a child not to ride a bike because henfell off. I know swimming, elliptical, bike, etc is less jarring on joints, but I would be devastated if I couldn't run anymore. What would you do? As you can see from my blog (see sig below), one of my goals is to run the Goofy!

How fast are you running? How long have you been running?

Maybe you need to slow down and perfect your stride to eliminate severe impact.

DON'T RUN - at least until you get de-booted.

I found in my early days of running that folks who said, "No, Don't Do it!, What are you crazy!" were the same ones who did not have the courage to get out and attempt to run a Goofy, Marathon or even a 5k. So don't listen to the nay sayers.

My first thought was that you may need to look at diet or have a bone density test to assure that you do not have an early case of osteoporosis. If you are not getting enough calcium in your diet, you may need to supplement. I think I would ask about both of these in your followup visit in 4-6 weeks. I do not believe either would cause to to not run, but may well required additional supplementation.

As your runner career matures, your boney structure will harden, some. Likewise, your muscles will create a support system that mitigates some of the extreme shock it can experience through running.

Hang in there. Running is an enjoyable sport. It is THE BEST stress reliever - much better than alcohol or tranquilizers. The feeling of accomplishment after a break through run are amazing. I think you have experienced some of this and hang onto this.

Again, talk the doctor when being debooted to see if you have another issue that may have driven this - or if by chance it is a case of dumb luck.

Good Luck. Do not listen to the nay sayers. Lock onto positive thoughts and you will be running again in short order.

hi everyone!

no, of course i won't run now while injured, I meant after I recover and get healed.

To answer your questions, I have been running on and off for 20 years, but I had a long layoff for at least 5 years, until I took it up seriously last year. I wanted to do it correctly, so I had my gait examined and got fitted for shoes.

I tried to ramp up gradually, I did the couch to 5k program, and eventually ran a half marathon last May 2012, and I got my first major injury (femoral neck stress fracture) that same month.

I thought I did the right thing this time, I went to a sports orthopedic surgeon, a runner himself, got healed, and followed his advice for an even slowler gradual ramp up. I ran slower and easier mixing up grass, trails, and pavement, and used a treadmill a lot as a softer surface.

Then, after only a 30 minute treadmill session two weeks ago, I got another stress fracture, in the opposite leg.

But yes, I went to my primary doctor yesterday and got bloodwork and she is sending me to an endocrinologist.

Of course I want to run again, but I want to do everything I can to be healthy.

Thanks for your encouragement! Reading all of your accomplishments on the WISH boards is an inspiration!

hi everyone!

no, of course i won't run now while injured, I meant after I recover and get healed.

To answer your questions, I have been running on and off for 20 years, but I had a long layoff for at least 5 years, until I took it up seriously last year. I wanted to do it correctly, so I had my gait examined and got fitted for shoes.

I tried to ramp up gradually, I did the couch to 5k program, and eventually ran a half marathon last May 2012, and I got my first major injury (femoral neck stress fracture) that same month.

I thought I did the right thing this time, I went to a sports orthopedic surgeon, a runner himself, got healed, and followed his advice for an even slowler gradual ramp up. I ran slower and easier mixing up grass, trails, and pavement, and used a treadmill a lot as a softer surface.

Then, after only a 30 minute treadmill session two weeks ago, I got another stress fracture, in the opposite leg.

But yes, I went to my primary doctor yesterday and got bloodwork and she is sending me to an endocrinologist.

Of course I want to run again, but I want to do everything I can to be healthy.

Thanks for your encouragement! Reading all of your accomplishments on the WISH boards is an inspiration!

Sorry, a little pre-run tongue in cheek humor with the do not run. I was trying to echo your negative advice in a 'funny' way. Guess I should leave that to the pros. :(

I would have guessed opposite leg from compensated effort.

See if you can get a PT script for a hip/core weakness. If not, find a trainer with sports and corrective exercise certification. Give them your history and have them evaluate your hip and leg strength.

That is in addition to the other medical.

Again, good luck. You WILL be goofy in 14.

Last post accidentally was saved before I finished!

Let us know how things turn out. My DH finally decided to run the marathon with me and got a stress fracture doing all the proper training, gradual increase, etc. very disappointing. Maybe there is a specific reason, maybe he is just more prone to them?

The worst thing is so many have told him things like "see, running isn't good for you" or "you are too old to run a marathon!" (he's in his forties and a strong cyclist) or "running isn't a good sport too many injuries". I have to point out that all of these comments have come from NON runners.

Just hang in there. I'm sure you will get this issue solved.

buckeyecinderella said:
The worst thing is so many have told him things like "see, running isn't good for you" or "you are too old to run a marathon!" (he's in his forties and a strong cyclist) or "running isn't a good sport too many injuries". I have to point out that all of these comments have come from NON runners.

Yes! This exactly, thanks for understanding! I appreciate others' concern, but I'm getting tired of the joke they say, "See? That's why I dont't exercise, they say it's good for you, but it's not, hahaha!"

It's not funny anymore, and you are right, the comments are from nonrunners, "find another sport, like biking or swimming."

I like biking and swimming ... But only a fellow runner would understand, I LOVE running.

Nearly every sport has some risk of injury - cycling (why are helmets worn?), skiing (again helmets) horseback riding (helmets) etc.... There are any number of ways one could get hurt in sports, esp when one pursues the sport more intensely. Even swimming has risks. Plus I've read where cyclists and swimmers, for example, should incorporate running or some other weight bearing exercise to help with bone mass. And of course non runners even non exercisers have knee and hip replacements all the time!

So, if if you like or love running, might as well run!

Oh I feel for you!

I would recommend seeing an osteopath or a naturopath in addition to the allopathic medicine route. I'm no expert, but perhaps diet changes or supplementation can help strengthen your bones.

Also, perhaps some physiotherapy and an excellent program of cross-training to strengthen other muscle groups. If you are only running then you can get some very strong muscles in certain areas, but remain weaker in other areas, and cause dysfunction, or extra strain, causing the stress fractures. I have found yoga to be great! I was really surprised how unbalanced I was as a runner. Certain poses were easy-peasy while the rest of the class was huffing and puffing, and some poses I was really working at while others seemed to do them easily. It was a wake up call about my imbalanced muscles.

Hope that helps - best of luck in sorting it all out. :wizard:

I began running again over a year ago after several decades of non running (but have exersized). I found myself completely out of breath by just jogging down the street! Then my knees would bother me. I felt like an old lady and I am only in my mid 40's.
Everyone said I was just really out of shape basically and to see a doctor...I didn't see a doctor ...but reguardless...fooling around on the internet I read my symptoms of being out of breath as being anemic...which was something I had way back in the day...so I began taking iron pills and now I can jog 9 miles! I take calcium and glucose (?) pills...so far I haven't had the sore knees that I did..sometimes one may bother me but a knee brace takes care of it.
I decided to do a lot of walking, walking fast then walking up hills to break myself in. I also signed on for a quite a few half marathons this year.
I am going for the Goofey this year - hence my username.

I think sometimes we jump into something and do too much too soon and we aren't getting younger. Your body can't just start up and go...take it easy...walk and start from that...women have a tendancy to need calcium so check into it.

WaDiWo said:
hi everyone!

Ask your doctor (or google) Celiac. Undiagnosed celiac often shows up as unusual fractures since it causes food absorbtion issues.

I'm going through this at the moment too! My injury is to do with my tendons, and I just can't seem to get started again. It's annoying because I feel fine, but every time I try to start running again my injury flares up again.

I've gone through several pairs of shoes, physio, doctor, personal training to work on my technique. Like you I tried to start off again really slowly and ran on the oval to reduce the stress on my legs. Nothing seems to work. But I'm not giving up, and neither should you!

My plan is to build up my strength through walking longer distances, combined with strength training twice a week, and yoga once a week. The strength training and yoga will help with my balance. And hopefully once I've worked up to longer distance walking, I will be ready to start introducing very small amounts of running again. I hope to be able to borrow SIL's cross-trainer to keep up my aerobic fitness while still getting that running action.

I too have been told that running is bad for you, and asked why don't I take up cycling or swimming instead... my answer to that is, Disney don't have a cycling or swimming event! pixiedust:

I've been struggling with foot injures for the past 6 months. It's very frustrating when you're trying to train for a race and you are in pain every time you run.
I tried new shoes, inserts, stretches, and just about everything you could imagine. I finally went to see the orthopedist and was diagnosed with Planters Fasciitis and Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome. He referred me to Physical Therapy.
I have been 3 weeks and can already tell the biggest difference. They say all my problems stem from a weak hip. Weak hips = poor running technique= injures. Go figure.
My point is when everyone was telling me to stop running and some times I wanted to listen, I didn't give up. I just wish I had gone to the doctor a little sooner. Good luck and stay strong!

tink2007 said:
My point is when everyone was telling me to stop running and some times I wanted to listen, I didn't give up. I just wish I had gone to the doctor a little sooner. Good luck and stay strong!

Wow, thank you, thank you everyone for your encouragement again. 99% of the people I am coming across are telling me not to run...and even hinting that it was stupid for me to go back to running after my first injury. I'm so grateful that runners like you are understanding and are encouraging.

Thanks also for all your advice. An endocrinologist checked a bunch of labs for me. I saw my orthopedic sports podiatrist today and he said there were signs of healing on the xray, but that I needed at least 3 more weeks of non weight bearing, then he would check another MRI and also a DEXA bone density scan. I have aknee scooter for home but it's cumbersome at work, so I crutch around at work, which is no picnic.

I'm trying to keep a positive attitude...I know things could be much much worse, and this is relatively a minor setback, so I'm grateful for what I have and I'm grateful for your encouragement.

Just to share, when I get down, I watch this video of a man who lost over 100 pounds and trained for the Boston Marathon for his health and charity. Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLfj1VkGq4o

Hang in there WaDiWo. :hug:

I had chronic injuries (some that I still have to baby) until I figured out what was going on. Lots of things can cause recurrent injuries and injuries that heal slow.

I hated the whole process, but realized later that running saved me from years of misery. Running exaggerated the symptoms I was having from my gluten/c-d issues. So while it was miserable, I actually figured out that I was sick sooner that if I wasn't a runner. Does that make any sense?:goodvibes It took a while for me to feel better, but 13 months later, I am looking forward to running my first marathon.

Just be persisitent and keep pushing your medical team for answers. :goodvibes I will be pulling for you to get better and get back out there again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter