• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ING Direct has new parent company...

LSUmom4kids

LSU Graduate and Mother to 4 Kids!
Just received an email that said:

"On February 17, 2012, our parent company - ING Group - announced that ING DIRECT USA was officially purchased by Capital One. We are proud to bring these two great companies together.

What's it mean for you today? It's business as usual. You'll still be able to access your account online, view balances, pay bills - everything that you were able to do yesterday. And rest assured, your money's still safe and FDIC-insured.

What else can you expect?

For starters, coming this spring, you'll have access to CheckMate, our new remote deposit service. You can deposit checks directly into your ING DIRECT accounts anywhere from your computer or the ING DIRECT mobile app.
If you use Electric Orange checking or MONEY, you'll be able to withdraw cash at any of Capital One's over 2,000 fee-free ATMs - that's in addition to the 35,000 free Allpoint ATMs you can currently access.
What's it mean for you down the road? As part of the Capital One team, we remain committed to offering innovative products and maintaining the same Customer service and experience you've come to expect while saving you time and money.

As always, thanks for being part of America's favorite place to save."

I guess this means an end to the special money maker deals to join ING Direct to use towards our Disney trips :(.... I already have an Account with Capital One. I'm curious what this means.... WHAT'S IN YOUR WALLET????

Yeah, I'm kind of bummed out - I read it in the paper. Not because I think ING is somehow inherently different than any other bank, but certainly their marketing is geared towards doing things that make it feel that way. Wonder if they will just disappear and turn into Capital One? We are just in the process of switching our checking over to ING too.

(Remote deposits is a big plus though - I've been waiting for them to start that - so far we have only done direct deposit or transfers from another bank account because mailing them checks was not something I wanted to do.)

I got that email also..guess we'll wait and see..

Yeah, I'm kind of bummed out - I read it in the paper. Not because I think ING is somehow inherently different than any other bank, but certainly their marketing is geared towards doing things that make it feel that way. Wonder if they will just disappear and turn into Capital One? We are just in the process of switching our checking over to ING too.

(Remote deposits is a big plus though - I've been waiting for them to start that - so far we have only done direct deposit or transfers from another bank account because mailing them checks was not something I wanted to do.)
Remote deposits aren't all that they're cracked up to be. PNC bank has it available on their mobile ap and I didn't think it was so hot. After send a photo of the endorsed check, front & back, it took nearly a week for the check to be verified and the money to be available in my son's checking account. I felt that this was an extraordinarily long time for a check to clear.

But to stay on topic, I'm also disappointed in the acquisition. I'm not a big fan of Capital One and I'm concerned about how ING will change under their new ownership. I always felt that ING was a great bank for the small saver. My kids have had savings accounts with them since they were in grade school. I like the "no minimum balance" accounts and the lack of account maintenance fees. I hope that doesn't change with Capital One calling the shots.

Just received an email that said:

"On February 17, 2012, our parent company - ING Group - announced that ING DIRECT USA was officially purchased by Capital One. We are proud to bring these two great companies together.

What's it mean for you today? It's business as usual. You'll still be able to access your account online, view balances, pay bills - everything that you were able to do yesterday. And rest assured, your money's still safe and FDIC-insured.

What else can you expect?

For starters, coming this spring, you'll have access to CheckMate, our new remote deposit service. You can deposit checks directly into your ING DIRECT accounts anywhere from your computer or the ING DIRECT mobile app.
If you use Electric Orange checking or MONEY, you'll be able to withdraw cash at any of Capital One's over 2,000 fee-free ATMs - that's in addition to the 35,000 free Allpoint ATMs you can currently access.
What's it mean for you down the road? As part of the Capital One team, we remain committed to offering innovative products and maintaining the same Customer service and experience you've come to expect while saving you time and money.

As always, thanks for being part of America's favorite place to save."

I guess this means an end to the special money maker deals to join ING Direct to use towards our Disney trips :(.... I already have an Account with Capital One. I'm curious what this means.... WHAT'S IN YOUR WALLET????
Interesting, thanks for the heads up. I have been an ING customer for almost 8 years. I do like the idea of being able to deposit checks w/ the mobile app. I have that w/ my credit union acct and it is awesome! :banana:

Remote deposits aren't all that they're cracked up to be. PNC bank has it available on their mobile ap and I didn't think it was so hot. After send a photo of the endorsed check, front & back, it took nearly a week for the check to be verified and the money to be available in my son's checking account. I felt that this was an extraordinarily long time for a check to clear.

But to stay on topic, I'm also disappointed in the acquisition. I'm not a big fan of Capital One and I'm concerned about how ING will change under their new ownership. I always felt that ING was a great bank for the small saver. My kids have had savings accounts with them since they were in grade school. I like the "no minimum balance" accounts and the lack of account maintenance fees. I hope that doesn't change with Capital One calling the shots.

Ever since the PNC Bank App was upgraded to include the Mobile Check deposits, I have not walked into a bank. I use that app solely for depositing checks and have never run into an issue with it not being available the next day. If you deposit the check before 8 pm on a business day, the funds are available the next business day. I have deposited at least 100 checks this way and never had an issue, maybe give them another try and see if you have a more positive experience.

I got that email yesterday as well. I dropped Capital One as my credit card account when they raised my interest rate to 22% last year!!:eek:

So I will be watching what happens once Capital One takes over!

Hm... I had a small local bank for my business account which was taken over by Capital One last year. I'm not happy with it since I prefer a small local bank but I can say that nothing has changed with my account. And, they still offer free coin counting for customers (I use this every Dec 31st). I've had ING for about 12 years and I liked that it felt like they were a "different" bank. I hope nothing changes with them like it didn't with my business account.

I don't know why this is a bad thing? :confused3
Just speaking from past experience with other bank takeovers, it seems that when the BIG bank swallows up a smaller bank, a lot of customer perks and services get lost in the switch. BIG bank wants things streamlined to their way of doing things which is not always what the customer of the small bank wanted. Otherwise, the small bank customer would have had an account with BIG bank a long time ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter