Information to convince a parent....

Paul Rodgers

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone!
We have a trip planned for myself and my three cousins (22, 19, 16, 13) planned for August of 2018. We've booked the vacation (yay!). I've been three times in the past year, and the 19 year old and the 16 year old came with me last year for their first time. This time, we are planning on bringing their youngest sibling (different moms/households), the 13 year old, with us. His father is a bit hard to crack, and is being a bit skeptical about the trip. I've told him ten months in advance (with the joke "I'm giving you ten months to come to terms with this"), and will be giving him as much information as we can when we have it. We are all pretty sure that he will be fine with it, once he gets all the information and talks to me about it, but coming from a parent's side, I would like to know what information to give him up front. As you know, we can't give him exact plans yet (still being four months from ADR's) and not having booked our flights yet, but this is what I have typed out for him so he has something to go off of. Is there any other information you'd appreciate as a parent knowing up front.
(I'm also not expecting him to pay for any part of the trip, as I'm the one inviting his child, and will simply as for him to ensure the 13 year old has spending money (airport snacks, souvenirs, etc).

Disney Trip 2018 Information

Saturday, August 18, 2018 - Saturday, August 25, 2018

(Last full week before school starts. begins on Wed, August 29, 2018)

Disney’s Coronado Springs

Vacation is booked, flights are not.

Saturday 8/18 - Fly out of New York based airport in afternoon, arrive to Orlando. Use Disney provided transportation (Magical Express) to resort (Coronado).

We will be staying on Disney property the entire time, using Disney’s transportation system. (Buses, Monorails, Ferry’s, “Minnie-Vans”, etc).

Saturday 8/25 - Leave Disney using Disney provided transportation (Magical Express) to Orlando Airport. Fly to New York based airport in late morning/early afternoon.

Included in package:

• Transportation to and from Orlando International Airport via Disney’s Magical Express.
  • Transportation around the resort (Buses, Monorails, Ferry’s, etc)
  • Park Tickets (4 Theme Parks, 2 Water Parks, other on site rec activities)
  • Park Hopper
  • Hotel room
  • Two meal services per night (14 credits x person)
  • Two snack per day (14 credits x person)
  • Refillable souvenir drink mug
  • Extra add ons to package
  • Memory Maker (photos)
  • Fastpasses

*** More schedule information will be available when we can make dining reservations (February) and Fastpass (June) reservations. And just as a reminder, I’ve done this type of trip three times in the past 14 months, and your oldest two were there for one full week with me in November (and NOTHING went wrong) and can answer any question you have.

Let me know if there is any suggestions you guys have!

What kind of $ will the kid need of his own? Also, make sure he has all contact info for hotel, cell phones, etc.

You want a signed and notarized medical power of attorney for each child. You can find the form for free online. You also want a front and back copy of the children's insurance cards and a list of any allergies, medical issues, surgeries, etc. in case you have to seek medical treatment.

What kind of $ will the kid need of his own? Also, make sure he has all contact info for hotel, cell phones, etc.
Thanks! He has all of our contact information and I'll be sure to make sure he has the hotel's as well. I'll have to speak to him regarding on how much money he wants to send along with his son, and limits to spending, etc.

If the kid doesn’t have s cell phone, rent one that will allow Dad to track the kid. Schedule daily calls w Dad. Communication is key!
Thanks! He has a cell phone, but I'll be sure to set up the 'Find my Friends' application for that week for the two of them.

You want a signed and notarized medical power of attorney for each child. You can find the form for free online. You also want a front and back copy of the children's insurance cards and a list of any allergies, medical issues, surgeries, etc. in case you have to seek medical treatment.
Thanks for the input!

All the previous inputs looked great. Does it go without saying that the 13 y.o. will always be accompanied by someone else....that he will never roam alone on transportation or in the parks?
I am a parent of teens (17, 15, 13, and also an 11 year old) and as a parent, that would be my concern as well. You might want to assure the Dad that the 13 year old will never be left on his own.

With 2 adult, and one older teen, cousins? Man, I love cousins. It sounds like a blast.
Yes, they are legally adults, but the brain is not fully mature until 25. Statistics show that those under age 25 are more likely to make poor decisions. That is why insurance companies, car rental agencies charge more for them. At 13, a child does not always have the ability to self-advocate or usually enough life experience to know what good choices are in many unusual circumstances. Many 13 year olds are still only in middle school. They are relatively sheltered in that environment.

However, everyone's circumstances must be judged individually. I can only go by how I feel about it for our family. Maybe the original poster is extremely responsible or has been working at summer camps for many years. As a parent, I would definitely need to see a long track record of highly reliable and extremely mature behavior.

I also think it could be a lot of fun. That doesn't mean I would allow it at 13; I would ask to wait another year or two. I just thought the original poster should be prepared for a hard "no".

Last edited:
At 13 I was spending big chunks of our Disney trip doing my own thing. I don't get what the Dad's worried about with all those people along.

Isn’t one of the adults and the 16 yr old a sibling of the 13 yr old? That changes the dynamic as Dad will have a very good feel for how responsible his older children are.

As a parent, my issues would be...

- kiddo might not sleep well in different environments. What's the plan for that?
- how you would deal with kiddo if kiddo had "bad behavior" ?
- guarantee that there will be no unsafe things: no guns, no drugs, no alcohol, etc
- bring a consent for medical treatment and kiddo's insurance info with you
- ensure phone works properly entire time (bring backup battery etc), give contact info for where you're staying as backup
- no pressuring kiddo to do any rides or experiences he doesn't want to do
- what constitutes an emergency? if ever in doubt, CALL parents
- a week is a long time for some kids to be away from home, if he has never done Summer camp etc then I might make a plan for kiddo's portion to be shorter than a week

Yes, they are legally adults, but the brain is not fully mature until 25. Statistics show that those under age 25 are more likely to make poor decisions. That is why insurance companies, car rental agencies charge more for them. At 13, a child does not always have the ability to self-advocate or usually enough life experience to know what good choices are in many unusual circumstances. Many 13 year olds are still only in middle school. They are relatively sheltered in that environment.

However, everyone's circumstances must be judged individually. I can only go by how I feel about it for our family. Maybe the original poster is extremely responsible or has been working at summer camps for many years. As a parent, I would definitely need to see a long track record of highly reliable and extremely mature behavior.

I also think it could be a lot of fun. That doesn't mean I would allow it at 13; I would ask to wait another year or two. I just thought the original poster should be prepared for a hard "no".

I appreciate the concern as well as the consideration that everyone's circumstances myst be judged individually. Not to toot my own horn, but I have been the director of two different summer camps, and I currently teach 8th grade US History. Sometime's I find it shocking as well that they allow a 21-year old to do so.

All the previous inputs looked great. Does it go without saying that the 13 y.o. will always be accompanied by someone else....that he will never roam alone on transportation or in the parks?

The four of us stick together like a pack of wolves, I highly doubt that anyone will be separated intentionally. Thanks!

As a parent, my issues would be...

- kiddo might not sleep well in different environments. What's the plan for that?
- how you would deal with kiddo if kiddo had "bad behavior" ?
- guarantee that there will be no unsafe things: no guns, no drugs, no alcohol, etc
- bring a consent for medical treatment and kiddo's insurance info with you
- ensure phone works properly entire time (bring backup battery etc), give contact info for where you're staying as backup
- no pressuring kiddo to do any rides or experiences he doesn't want to do
- what constitutes an emergency? if ever in doubt, CALL parents
- a week is a long time for some kids to be away from home, if he has never done Summer camp etc then I might make a plan for kiddo's portion to be shorter than a week
Thanks for the input!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter