Information from Virgin on locking suitcases

UKDEB

Moderator Emeritus
This from the latest i-fly newsletter:

TOP TIPS FOR A SPEEDY CHECK IN

Recent enhancements to airport security may mean it takes a little longer to check in. If you’re flying Upper Class you can help keep this time to a minimum by following our guidelines for hand baggage.

You can take a maximum of two items of hand baggage in Upper Class, each with a weight limit of 8kg (17lbs), or a combined weight of no more than 16kg (35lbs). The maximum dimensions for each item are 23 x 35 x 55cm (9 x 14 x 22 ins). These limits are for safety reasons: hand baggage must be small and light enough to store securely in case of turbulence during the flight.

Also in relation to increased security screening at airports, please remove all valuable items as well as anything that you might need during your flight before handing over your checked luggage.

We also suggest that if you normally choose to lock your checked luggage, that you continue to do so. However security staff may open your cases during routine checks, even if they are locked. Any claims for damage caused to luggage or loss of items that occurs during screening must be handled through your own travel insurance policy.

Finally, our last tip is never to pack any of the following items in your hand luggage:
- Toy or replica guns, made of metal or plastic
- Catapults
- Household cutlery
- Knives with blades of any length
- Razor blades
- Tools
- Darts
- Scissors
- Tweezers
- Hypodermic needles (unless required for medical reasons)
- Knitting needles
- Sporting bats
- Billiard, snooker or pool cues.

If you have any further queries please call your flying club helpline. Red: 01293 538 888, Silver: 0845 074 5678, Gold: 0800 072 1234.

I think it's worth checking with your travel insurance company before following Virgin's advise. Will they pay out if you leave your cases unlocked, and will they pay out for damage caused as a security precaution. This is a bit of a vague area.

I checked with our insurers (Journeywise), and they have this general exclusion in their policy:

" Loss or damage, directly or indirectly caused by any government, public or local authority legally taking or damaging your property. "

Here we go again :) Thanks Deb, haven't read my Virgin email yet.

So, insurance companies are unlikely to cover you for any losss or damage caused by the 'authorities' checking your bags.

Don't put anything valuable into checked luggage - which has always been sane advice.

Think we'll go with the cable ties...

I'm waiting for some of our board members who are currently there and due back to have their say.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter