• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Info Sharing -What’s open at WDW DVC resorts and Disney Springs while parks closed

aroundtheriverbend

DIS Veteran
We’re scheduled 3/20-3/28 in grand villas with a large group. Wasted my morning away getting busy signals trying to cancel, then started to think about a scenario where we still go and try to enjoy a different type of trip. Looking to start a support thread for others who might be thinking the same over the next 3 weeks and to have a place to capture information on what is open, closed etc. at the different resorts and Disney Springs once the parks are closed. We’ve honestly never gone on a resort only trip so still not sure where we’ll end up decision wise. And of course the resorts can always still close also in which case it’s a moot point....

I am enough of a self-aware control freak to know that some of this is to make myself feel like I have a little bit of control over an uncontrollable situation LOL. That said there’s got to be something positive about trying to make lemonade out of lemons right? 🤪. Looking forward to info sharing.

Swim in the pool. I'd bet pool hopping would be closed because of the number of guests staying at the hotels and not going to the parks. Otherwise, nothing else will be open other than Disney
Springs unless the tenants there decide to close as well. You and your guests may be making your own fun.

Swim in the pool. I'd bet pool hopping would be closed because of the number of guests staying at the hotels and not going to the parks. Otherwise, nothing else will be open other than Disney
Springs unless the tenants there decide to close as well. You and your guests may be making your own fun.
I think the vast majority of guests on the cash side of the resorts will cancel to have their money back or reschedule at the same price. Most DVC members will cancel as well, at least if they can avoid losing points. People who used already banked points may face the choice to go anyway or lose the points, but I'd expect not many will be thrilled by a resort stay only with the possibility of restaurants and shops being closed too. Regardless of what Disney might decide, third party restaurants and shops may close anyway (because of the very limited number of potential guests or capacity reduction due to having to keep a safe distance between guests).
I wouldn't go, I wouldn't expect a very cheery atmosphere.

The one thing is that the notice from WDW about resorts and DS said they were open until further notice,

To me, that means there could be a chance they decide to shut down. Just keep that in mind when deciding!

All very good points, thanks everyone. From the first messaging last night, I was thinking they were trying to salvage some revenue/work hours with the resorts/Disney Springs since those didn’t lend themselves to lots of big gatherings, but the fact that the system stopped cash guests from new reservations sometime this am (after offering deals and upgrades last night) makes me rethink that they are truly trying to empty everything out.

Is spending the day at the pool a good idea? How well can chlorine or salt water prevent transmission of the virus if someone infected goes swimming?

We are thinking of going for a resort only trip, are we crazy? We live in the north and are tired of cold weather and winter. I was going to cancel this morning but asked the cast member what would be open. She said Disney Springs and the restaurants at the hotels would be open. She said that they would be doing some of the same things that they do when the hurricanes have hit and people are at the resort. That made me pause, is this vacation savable? I don't know. So depressed right now.....

TY, OP, for addressing this. I have around 135 points in Holding and another 55 unbankable points w a UY of August. We planned on going last week in April and a couple days in June and there is really no way to change those plans now. We are booked at BWV in April, but now thinking, if Parks still closed, we'd rather be at AKV-Jambo. We always go to DS and enjoy that, but for a stay-at-Resort vacation, AKV seems the most entertaining. Still considering our options for BWV v. others, but if the Resorts are open, we're going.

As of right now we are going until they close the resort. Yes, we are crazy, but my use year is April so we lose the points regardless. Our school district used to have Easter as their spring break so we chose April for that reason. Last year they changed to the 3rd week in March so my use year strategy was ruined. Wish us luck. It's my son's birthday and he asked to go to Disney.

How crazy would it be to make a reservation for a few days within the next two weeks. I know DS, resorts and transportation are to remain open until further notice. Any thoughts on whether they'd actually close?

I’m going to TRY to get through the phone lines today to at least get more info on what is going to be going on there, but just started day 2 of busy signals 😔. Just saw the news pop across my phone that Apple is going to close their retail stores, which does not bode well for restaurants, stores etc. it would seem.

How crazy would it be to make a reservation for a few days within the next two weeks. I know DS, resorts and transportation are to remain open until further notice. Any thoughts on whether they'd actually close?
I think they probably will close, especially with a national emergency declared. Open long enough to give the people currently there something to do. I'd guess maybe close in a week? But it's totally a guess.

We feel lucky. Left DW on Thursday after two fab weeks at OKW. Went to parks one day out of two week stay. They were as crowded as I have ever seen. We are going to aulani in may. I’m hoping that doesn’t close. This thing should be well under control by then.

I actually looked at available resorts and the different booking classes, believe it or not there are some room types sold out between March 16th and 31st. People still must be going for a resort vacation.

I am scheduled to arrive at Saratoga Springs Wednesday, March 18. Going to visit my daughter who is doing the DCP for her birthday. Despite park closures I was still planning to go. If anyone learns more about the notification indicating limited to no offerings at the resorts please post. I am trying to determine what this means!!

The cast member that I spoke to yesterday said everything at the resort is open. Stores, pools and restaurants. We are bringing hand sanitizer and antibacterial wipes from home, a whole suitcase full.

The cast member that I spoke to yesterday said everything at the resort is open. Stores, pools and restaurants. We are bringing hand sanitizer and antibacterial wipes from home, a whole suitcase full.
Good to know!! I wasn't sure what that notification meant!!

I am scheduled to arrive at Saratoga Springs Wednesday, March 18. Going to visit my daughter who is doing the DCP for her birthday. Despite park closures I was still planning to go. If anyone learns more about the notification indicating limited to no offerings at the resorts please post. I am trying to determine what this means!!

I wonder if they are just trying to let people know things could become limited to discourage those to still come? Better to put things out like that to temper expectations vs, lead people to believe its going to be no different, only to find it’s not

I read where the DCP was ending for this term immediately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter