info on Shipwreck Beach??

Knelson85

Counting down the days until our Disney Wedding!!
Hey everyone!!

I am looking for any info anyone has on Shipwreck beach for a reception. I know it is commonly used as a rehearsal or welcome dinner spot, but we were thinking of using it as our main dinner reception location. Any info would be great, but here are some specific questions:

1) Is there a min max or venue fee for this location?
2) what are the pro's/con's of it?
3) Is there a need to add decorations, or is it fine on it's own?
4) Any pictures to share???

Thanks so much!

We had our rehearsal dinner at Shipwreck Beach and loved it. The main drawback, with any outdoor location, is the weather. With Florida weather, you are taking a risk. They always have a back-up indoor location, but obviously you would be missing the "wow" factor of having your dinner on the beach.

I would talk with your planner on having your reception on the beach. It wasn't one of the options we had for our rehearsal dinner, however, I had to request it myself (I had seen an event there years prior). I don't believe we had a rental fee for using the location, but you never can tell.

Not sure of the capacity, but there is PLENTY of room. We had 35 guests, I believe, and we weren't even close to being squished.

For decoration, you can add extras, but it is not needed. We wanted to do tiki torches, until we realized the price (I forget the exact price, but it was ridiculous). Instead, we went for hurricane vases with bamboo around them with a candle inside. We also added Hawaiian-style tablecloths. They (Disney) added a special extra of a Stitch stuffed animal on the buffet line.

Good luck- it is a beautiful location. It's also great because the Boardwalk is your backdrop.

Here's what Boardwalk_Bride's planner just told her about Shipwreck Beach:

"Shipwreck Beach would be available to couples looking at a Wishes Collection. They do have a food and beverage minimum of $1,000.0++ and they do require an Event Support Package of $3000+ which includes a greens package, fencing to hide electrical support and tents for the Catering Team. Events would need to conclude prior to 10pm. Events that were taking place after sunset would also be required to purchase a lighting package as well. Cost would be based on the number of guests and the type of lighting requested."

Here are pictures of a party being set up at Shipwreck Beach a few weeks ago. Looks like they sprang for the lighting package...

IMG_1691.jpg

IMG_1693.jpg

IMG_1694.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg

We had our rehearsal dinner at Shipwreck Beach and loved it. The main drawback, with any outdoor location, is the weather. With Florida weather, you are taking a risk. They always have a back-up indoor location, but obviously you would be missing the "wow" factor of having your dinner on the beach.

I would talk with your planner on having your reception on the beach. It wasn't one of the options we had for our rehearsal dinner, however, I had to request it myself (I had seen an event there years prior). I don't believe we had a rental fee for using the location, but you never can tell.

Not sure of the capacity, but there is PLENTY of room. We had 35 guests, I believe, and we weren't even close to being squished.

For decoration, you can add extras, but it is not needed. We wanted to do tiki torches, until we realized the price (I forget the exact price, but it was ridiculous). Instead, we went for hurricane vases with bamboo around them with a candle inside. We also added Hawaiian-style tablecloths. They (Disney) added a special extra of a Stitch stuffed animal on the buffet line.

Good luck- it is a beautiful location. It's also great because the Boardwalk is your backdrop.

If you don't mind me asking, :rolleyes1 about how much was your rehersasl dinner there. We have been looking into Ohana but this would be much more fun! Thanks!

Also, what were the menu options? I am looking to do breakfast/brunch for the rehersal dinner. I love this idea!

Does anyone have pics of their Rehearsal Dinner here that they could share? I love this idea for our RD but I doubt we'd have the money to spring for decorations or fancy chairs/table covers, so I'm curious to see pics of it in a sort of "bare bones" way. Also, if anyone would share what it cost them I would appreciate it! Is this about comparable to having the dinner at one of the restaurants, or is it a big step up? What kind of menu options are there? TIA for any answers! :goodvibes

Also, what were the menu options? I am looking to do breakfast/brunch for the rehersal dinner. I love this idea!

Disney is moving toward a global menu setup, which means that you should be able to pick and choose from any catering menu offered at any venue for your meal.

Check out http://www.magicalkingdoms.com/ftw/wdw/menus.html for tons of menus.

Do Is this about comparable to having the dinner at one of the restaurants, or is it a big step up? What kind of menu options are there? TIA for any answers! :goodvibes

Well, since you're looking at a $1,000 minimum for food and beverage plus a mandatory $3,000 Event Support package (these are not decorations), I would say that it is not at all comparable to having dinner at a restaurant. If you eat during normal operating hours, you could pay $60 or less per person, depending on the restaurant.

For a private room, the prices vary, and the value would depend on the number of guests you expect. But you could get a room in one of the convention centers for less than a $1,000 food and beverage minimum and decorate it yourself. Private rooms at restaurants are a little pricer but, for example, you could spend as little as $2,500 on food and beverages for a room at Fulton's.

Disney catering menus can be found at the link posted above. :)

Disney is moving toward a global menu setup, which means that you should be able to pick and choose from any catering menu offered at any venue for your meal.

Check out http://www.magicalkingdoms.com/ftw/wdw/menus.html for tons of menus.

Well, since you're looking at a $1,000 minimum for food and beverage plus a mandatory $3,000 Event Support package (these are not decorations), I would say that it is not at all comparable to having dinner at a restaurant. If you eat during normal operating hours, you could pay $60 or less per person, depending on the restaurant.

For a private room, the prices vary, and the value would depend on the number of guests you expect. But you could get a room in one of the convention centers for less than a $1,000 food and beverage minimum and decorate it yourself. Private rooms at restaurants are a little pricer but, for example, you could spend as little as $2,500 on food and beverages for a room at Fulton's.

Disney catering menus can be found at the link posted above. :)

Oops - I thought the minimums would only apply for a reception - back to the drawing board! Thanks for setting me straight!

I hope I didn't sound brusque! :goodvibes The good thing is, there are lots of cheaper alternatives for rehearsal dinners, and the people on this board can give you loads of ideas!

I hope I didn't sound brusque! :goodvibes The good thing is, there are lots of cheaper alternatives for rehearsal dinners, and the people on this board can give you loads of ideas!

Not at all - I appreciate the info! The Rehearsal Dinner is NOT something I want to spend a lot of money on, so I will definitely have to research other options! The great thing is it's Disney, so I'm sure there are tons of great possibilities. :)

Does anyone have any closer pictures of Shipwreck Beach? Also how close you can get to the ship? What times will they allow you to do a ceremony on Shipwreck Beach? Thanks.

For a rehersal dinner for my daughter's wedding we were looking at Fulton's Crab House or one of the other DTD resturants. I do seem to remember that Fulton's had a good variety of food and you can have the top or middle of the boat for the party. Try contacting one of the resturants there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter