• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Info Concerning Raleigh, Nc Meet

HeatherPage

<font color=darkcoral>Proud mommy, wife and WDW fa
It was recently brought to my attention that Maggianos at the SAS for parties of 10 or more require you to order the Family Style meal which for lunch is about $14 per person (I called and this was confirmed). When talking to the gentleman their (manager maybe?) he said it was a good bargain and it was all you can eat and you got to sample different dishes, etc. For me this doesn't seem exessesive because at the most it would be myself and husband and baby who at 8 months old wouldn't be eating anything from the menu anyway. However, I realize that for larger parties this can get to be pretty expensive. Two suggestions I have are this: we can figure out another place at the SAS since we've already decided on that location or we can make the reservation for the people who will want the family style meal and then have the people who don't care to do this arrive without a reservation that way they wouldn't be considered part of the large reservation. The only problem with this is we may not be able to guarantee that everyone will be near each other. If it ends up being the majority still wants to do Maggianos then maybe we can do what I suggested above and hope that we're all sitting fairly close to one another. Otherwise, I'm not really sure what we should do. Any suggestions?

It doesn't really matter to me. However, if you are looking for a good alternative at SAS, Champs has excellent food, a large selection, and is not very expensive.

Marley

Let's keep it at Maggiano's, guys. If you haven't eaten there, it is truly a spectacular Italian Restaurant. Unbelievable food, huge portions, and the family style is fantastic. While they do require a large party to do family style, there are 3 permutations of family style - it all comes down to how many courses you get. $14 per person is the most expensive - the cheapest is more like $10 or $11 per person. We would have to decide as a group before we ordered which version we would get.

Champs is very good, but IMHO, Maggiano's is great. Seriously, if you haven't eaten there, you really need to give it a try.

As an aside, if you were to order ala carte, Maggiano's would be *much* more expensive than $14 per person. The family style gives you a chance to try many things off their fabulous menu for a much lower cost than you would otherwise.

Well that sounds pretty reasonable Jon. You probably won't get much lower than that at a decent sit down restaurant. I say let's stick with that also and give it a try. If anyone does not want to get the family style then they can come in as their own party and just request to be seated near/with everyone else.

I would not have a problem with the $14 for the family style. I won't know if I can come until closer to the time of the meet (work schedule, etc.) The restaurant looks fantastic, and I am anxious to eat there, but I hope it is condusive to conversation, too. I want to talk to be able to talk to everyone, not just see them. :wave:

regarding being conducive to conversation: one, if we moved the meet from 12 noon to 11:30 or 11:45, it might give us more time before the restaurant fills up or becomes loud. Also, we might ask them about the possibility of them seating us upstairs in the balcony section - that would separate us enough (I would think) from many of the other patrons to give us a better shot at good conversation.

One other question: what happened to big smiley face, with all the teeth? It's still in the message icon list, but no longer in the 'smilies' list : does anyone know off the top of their heads the keyboard shortcut to make it?

Sparkysfriends, the meet is for July 27th and you're more than welcome if you'll be in town then. :)

I leave to come back home on the 20th. Oh well, maybe next time. I was down just before the DIS meet last time too. One day my timing will be right!:(

I would like to belatedly add my agreement that Maggiano's is fine with me, family style and all. I haven't tried it yet but it's on my list!

I don't know about the teeth smiley.... I think some of the new ones look a little wierd myself.

HeatherPage,

My huband has a friend at work who is also a DVC member. He and his wife would like to join the group at Maggianno's. They just returned from a week at VB.

Thanks, Jackg57

Sounds great Paula, the more the merrier! I'll take a headcount about 3 weeks out for the reservation.

Hi Heather,
Just got back on board......pardon my French, but Disneyland Paris s**ks! (esp. the Studios) The hotel was fabulous, as was the rest of our trip. but the parks were a major disappointment.
Anyhow, I'd love to attend the meeting, but need directions to the SoS mall from N Raleigh. I hope it's not difficult to get there as I am really phobic about going anywhere unfamiliar. What's the easiest (not neccessarily fastest) route from the 540 or 98 vicinity?

I sent directions via PM. I'm looking forward to hearing about your trip to Paris-- especially how someone who's not crazy about unfamiliar places dealt with a foreign country and unfamiliar language! I haven't had the privilege to travel to Europe yet, but one of these days..... on second thought, why bother. I can walk to the World Showcase from my villa. ;) My husband cracked me up once by saying that the WS was just as good as Europe, and besides, it's cleaner!!

Thanks Audrey, I was doing a search for the directions but you were faster! I'd like to get over there before the meet to do some "research" beforehand. (yum-yum!)

I guess I should clarify......it's only DRIVING unfamiliar places that get me unnerved! But that's what happens when you spend most your life in NYC and don't learn to drive until after 30!
Audrey, your husband is right......my kids prefer Disney reproductions to the real thing. Bad mother.....!

Heather,

I just got around to looking at the boards today and saw Jon's post on moving the time to a little earlier (11:30) so it would be a little quieter to talk before the lunch rush.

I second that idea :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter