• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Infants not allowed in pools?

If I remember correctly the area is hard tile all the way around the pool. Most parents can sit on the edge of the Mickey pool or the ear and be right by their small children. When we saw small children in the ear their parents were right behind them or next to them on the side sitting there.

The Mickey pool is the most shallow pool therefore a lot of smaller kids who need parental supervision are in that pool. Also next to that pool is the Mickey Slide. We saw mostly small children in the Mickey pool around ages 2-4 or 5 maybe. It wasnt all that deep if I remember correctly but then we didnt spend a lot of time at the pools since our cruise was so short.

The Goofy Pool in my opinion is probably one of the scariest pools I've ever been in. Kids are jumping in all over the place not caring if there are others around that they are jumping on or not. It was pretty wild and I'd say a good portion of people in there either were parents holding their little children up or bigger kids who could swim on their own. They only have the 2 pool options for the kids so I'd have to say the Mickey Pool is for the younger set and the Goofy pool is for the older set. Also the goofy pool had some of the rudest children I have ever encountered and a lot of them didnt have their parents anywhere near them. THey were probably in the adult pool while the rest of us policed their kids. I will not let my kids go to the Goofy pool without me so that if there is an issue I can handle it! It seemed really out of control and scary to me as a parent and for the amount of kids on board it seemed way to small. Also by the end of the day that pool was so scummy it was gross! I think they need to re-think their pools on a new ship as the majority of swimmers are ages 5-15 or so and they are stuffed in the goofy pool and have nowhere else to go.

The only pool that non-potty trained kids can go in is the one designated Mickey Ear. Otherwise they need to be trained to be in the Mickey pool itself or in the goofy pool. We went with our 9,7 and 3 year olds and we ended up taking the 3 yr old with us into the goofy pool and letting him hold on to us while we swam around (if you can call getting smacked in the head, splashed on and jumped on swimming) and then our other kids loved the mickey slide so they would do that and we would stay in the mickey pool with our 3 year old. I think the only posted age pool is the adult pool where no one under 18 is allowed other than that kids of all ages can be in either pool.

HTH
Heidi

My question about the black part around the edge of the mickey's ear (for non-pottytrained children) was because I immediately (when seeing those pictures) got visions of tiny tot feet (if not potty trained- then possibly just learning to walk) walking along in the slipper bottom of that- and falling to conk their head on the big black sides showing there. So I wondered if it was hard, cushioned or inflatable there. If hard... I imagine many goose-eggs on foreheads/heads happen there. :(

So goofy pool is for everyone that is potty trained? Am I correct there? But this is also the pool that I have seen reports of bigger kids cannonballing, dunking, etc.
Yet the Mickey pool is primarily for children with parents not in there with them. So it seems like a choice... kids in Mickey pool alone, shallow water but need to be able to swim good so that the pool is not full of parents with their children and so they can enjoy the slide...... or all of the family in the Goofy pool but take a chance of getting hurt by bigger kids jumping in/etc.

What a choice. LOL Especially if you'll be going with 3 children with a big variance in ages (ours will be 4, 7 and 11 at the time of our cruise) I think our 11yr old will just have to deal with being in the Mickey pool or go back to the lab or something... I won't let her go swimming by herself (I'm not going to let her sign herself out of the labs either- I'm a mean mommy. LOL) and I'm not going to risk my younger ones getting hurt in the Goofy pool (my son is short- he's not a big 6yr old now so unless he grows a lot- he won't look 7 when he's 7 either... so it's not like the Mickey pool will be real shallow to him)

(ps. if the slide was based only on height- I'd be able to use it! I wonder if I could get away with pretending I'm 14... doubtful. But I'm short enough! LOL)

FYI - the height on the water slide is actually 38 inches or taller. My daughter was 37 inches last year and they would not let her all. Talk about devastated! Thank goodness this year she was bigger!

I have a handicapped son who normally walks with braces on his legs. He was able to walk in the ear of the pool without falling, so it could not have been that slippery. I am normally very paranoid of him being hurt by other kids because he is so unsteady on his feet. I never once had an incident with him being hurt. I found the Mickey pool very safe and was very comfortable with him in both the deeper part and in the ear. Relax and let the kids enjoy it. I did however, not enjoy the Goofy pool. It is too far down to get into and very crowded. The Mickey pool is also crowded but it was fun to visit with the other parents and get a great tan with doing it!

Originally posted by talicskai
I I did however, not enjoy the Goofy pool. It is too far down to get into and very crowded. The Mickey pool is also crowded but it was fun to visit with the other parents and get a great tan with doing it!

I agree with this!!! My DH and 2 DD's were in the Goofy pool and we had to get out. Too many kids just jumping in all OVER the place. It was not enjoyable. You couldn't even really move without getting jumped on. The girls and I BOTH LOVED the Mickey Pool. It was great. They had a blast.

Next time, when they're in the club I'll be sure to try out the adult pool...I didn't do that this time.

We just returned from the March 6th Magic. I have a 7yoDD and 5yo DS and 22month old DS. The pool was a HUGE issue for us. We booked this cruise along time ago and that was pre Norwalk Virus time so the rules came along after we were booked. My husband suggested that we pack a few sand toys for the pool ear. I did and that turned out well however it was difficult once we were leaving the pool.( getting the toys out of the others hands.- next time I will write my cabin number on the bottom in with a sharpie.) We only went to the pool twice. The one time 20mo loved the pool ear. The second time, 20 mo DS wanted to splash and there just wasn't enough room to do that. I inquired to the CM life guard and he said my son could walk around the outside and splash, just don't let him sit in the water. My son didn't have a problem with that and didn't even want to sit. Then the Life guards switched and the girl that came on told us that it was a No NO. The toys that I brought were a few shovels and spinny sand thing and a watering can. We also had a plastic water bottle that we were taking on the island. She told us the water bottle needed to come out of the pool also. By that time he was done with the ear, he wanted in the big pool. This was on the last sea day, and time to get ready for dinner so we just packed up and went to our room. As we were packing up getting ice cream, I was watching others. Someone came to the pool with a girl in a swim diaper (maybe 2yo). She went in the big pool and the CM came and told them about the ear. They tried once to keep her in and were not successful. They then proceeded to go over to their chair and then take off the swim diaper and put her back in the pool. They looked at the CM and shrugged their shoulders and went about their business.

Oh My Gosh!!!!!!!!! The adult pool was my reward to myself for sitting at the Mickey pool while my husband sat up on Deck 10....You must do this for yourself........it was the best!

If you do want to enjoy the Goofy pool, it was completely empty first thing in the morning, and nearly empty when we were in port.

Timing is everything with the pools

crisi, I agree. We really enjoyed the pool on the first day, after dinner and on port days, when they were the least crowded. Otherwise, it can be a real madhouse. My son got jumped on in the Mickey Pool and my DH and DD8 had a few head bumps from the Goofy pool. After dinner we would see the show, change and then head up to the Goofy pool to soak in the hot tubs and then take a dip in the pool.

Kim:sunny:

The Mickey pool is not Kids only. Many parent's choose to sit on the outside, but you could stay with your child if that makes you feel more comfortable. Personally, I enjoyed crawling around in the Mickey pool with my kids.

I can see how not being able to swim would be hard for those with younger kids...esp the 18 mo - 2 yr old range.

Jess

My DH and I were definitely in the pool with our kids. We have a three year old and two year old so there was no way they were going to be in there without us. I stayed by DD7 while DH followed the two younger ones around.

By the way, my two year old looks very babyish, but is totally potty trained--never had an accident even in the parks. So, be careful of assuming that all toddler types you see are cheating! Some may be innocent!

I hope you give thanks every day! I had two late trainers and was beginning to suspect we'd be packing pull ups to college.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter