Infant plane travel

natnelliesmom

Mom to 3 Disney Princesses in Training
We are flying in October for the first time with an infant. When I bought tickets I didn't even think about buying a seat for our 8 week old. I figured we'd just hold her- there are 3 adults traveling in our party.
Now I am second guessing my decision. I just don't feel like she'd be as safe. I don't know if it's too late to add another seat.

For those of you who have traveled with an infant in your lap- how did it go? Would you do it again? Or would you purchase a seat for an infant carrier?

I am interested in hearing how it works for others.
Thanks!
-Sarah

Be prepared.... this is a heated topic at times, lol!!!:lmao:

We just flew with DD (10 weeks) as a lap baby a few weeks ago and it worked out great for us. We had the entire row and DS had the window seat. DD slept the entire time going down and ate once on the way home and fell right back to sleep. We will be doing it again in October as well. It works for our family and I realize that it may not work for your family or anyone else. BTW, DS flew as a lap baby when he was 3months, 7months, and 9 months and he also did great. Good luck with your decision.:goodvibes

We are flying in October for the first time with an infant. When I bought tickets I didn't even think about buying a seat for our 8 week old. I figured we'd just hold her- there are 3 adults traveling in our party.
Now I am second guessing my decision. I just don't feel like she'd be as safe. I don't know if it's too late to add another seat.

For those of you who have traveled with an infant in your lap- how did it go? Would you do it again? Or would you purchase a seat for an infant carrier?

I am interested in hearing how it works for others.
Thanks!
-Sarah

With our first daughter's 1st trip to WDW, she had a seat. She was seven months old and never sat in it as we were traveling with Grandma and Grandpa as well as daddy and myself!!! When we went to Hawaii 6 months later, we did not purchase her a seat, but ended up with one for free and we were glad she had it. Two weeks ago we flew with DD1 now 2 and DD2 who was 9 weeks at the time to FL to visit family. We did not get DD2 a seat and she staid in a wrap the entire time. We are going in November to WDW, DD2 will then be 5 months, but we got her a seat so we could have a little bit extra space. For us, I think I would get a seat if they were nearing a year, or did not like to be wrapped. BTW, we live in California so we are talking 2-5 hour flights depending on if there is a layover or not. I think the length of the flight should be a consideration too. Hope that helps you a bit. :)

Oh and I love this device I got called the traveling toddler. Its a simple strap that connects your carseat to a rolling suitcase for like $15. When the kids are older, they can even ride in it.

we travelled twice with our daughter as a baby.
The first time was when she was 3.5 months. It was pretty easy and she nursed and slept and we were fine.
The second time she was 13 months. It was a LONG plane ride. When we bought the tickets we didn't think to buy her a seat, but when I changed my mind and called back there were no seats left.
If we were to do it again I would pay for the seat. I found it exhausting to hold a baby who is squirmy. And the way I see it, you don't need to keep them in their car seat if they need to nurse/eat/whatever. But if you don't buy a seat you don't have the option to let them sit there.

Your gut is right. She isn't as safe. The FAA allows lap children b/c they figure that parents won't fly if they have to pay for tickets for the baby. However, ask the flight attendants what they call lap children (answer: cabin missles :sad2: ). The reason for the seat isn't the plane crash. It is the unexpected mid-air turblence, the emergency landing, the failed takeoff, etc. Stuff that happens every day. Think about the plane Billy Mays was on right before he died. He hit his head on the overhead compartments. If you had been on that plane with your 8 week old, chances are pretty good that the baby would have gone flying out of your arms. :scared1:

Get the baby a seat. Make sure she's in it for takeoff and landing, and any time the 'seatbelt' sign is on (as well as any time she's willing to sit there in case you hit something the pilot wasn't expecting). Chances are, you won't 'need' the seat. However, better to have it and not need it than not have it--same logic we use every day when we put our kids in seats in the car. My favorite quote is from a mom whose kids was seriously injured in a car crash "You may only need the car seat one time, but that one time, you need it 100%".

http://www.usa.safekids.org/tier3_cd.cfm?folder_id=301&content_item_id=26132

Both my kids flew thousands of miles without a seat and they did fine, no problems. Including a rough landing that we had to "brace" for and many times of turbulence. My DD and I flew enough when she was a baby that we had elite flier status on United and all of it was as a lap baby. I would do it again in a heartbeat. When they are tiny it is easier to hold them and feed them etc. If I had an 8 hour flight and they were 23 months I might think about it but for a baby I wouldn't buy a seat.

I have run the gammut.

If you can afford it, there is no reason to not buy a ticket.

But I wouldn't let guilt make me spend money I don't have.

I have traveled all methods--now that our family is so "big" (5--ha!), that airline travel is expensive anyway--and extra ticket if we could afford the first 5 woudln't kill us.

It certainly is more roomy with a seat. But I have lap child one of my kids from Orlando to England (not so bad--she was younger) and when she was 23 months from Orlando to Hawaii (for a wedding). It was pretty uncomfortable lapping a 23 month old and towards the end--she was kind of done with that.

My son's first flight was when he was nearly 18 months and due to his size--we bought him a seat.

I don't think it woudl be took big of a deal with an 8 week old to lap the baby. HOWEVER--logistically, I would personally be concerned with turbulence b/c their body is much less sturdy. They would be safer with a car seat to sit in that case. (though many will argue in all cases.)

I will say--that usually, the seat was just for take off and landing and when they had the seat belt sign on due to rough conditions with my ticketed babies. I still took them out if the seat belt sign was off if they wanted out. It was nice to have them have their own spot to sleep.

ETA: My sister's husband works for an airlne and they flew standby lights. She lapped a lot and if there was a 3rd seat she would ride that way. Did that from when she was very little with no issues.

Also--the flight that landed in the Hudson river--there was a lap child who was not harmed in that crash landing. The mom was scared and did hand her baby off to a stranger for the landing--but the baby was not harmed.

Your gut is right. She isn't as safe. The FAA allows lap children b/c they figure that parents won't fly if they have to pay for tickets for the baby. However, ask the flight attendants what they call lap children (answer: cabin missles :sad2: ). The reason for the seat isn't the plane crash. It is the unexpected mid-air turblence, the emergency landing, the failed takeoff, etc. Stuff that happens every day. Think about the plane Billy Mays was on right before he died. He hit his head on the overhead compartments. If you had been on that plane with your 8 week old, chances are pretty good that the baby would have gone flying out of your arms. :scared1:

Get the baby a seat. Make sure she's in it for takeoff and landing, and any time the 'seatbelt' sign is on (as well as any time she's willing to sit there in case you hit something the pilot wasn't expecting). Chances are, you won't 'need' the seat. However, better to have it and not need it than not have it--same logic we use every day when we put our kids in seats in the car. My favorite quote is from a mom whose kids was seriously injured in a car crash "You may only need the car seat one time, but that one time, you need it 100%".

http://www.usa.safekids.org/tier3_cd.cfm?folder_id=301&content_item_id=26132

You raise valid points--but the Hudson River Crash had a baby that survived without incident as a lap child.

We always purchased seats for our babies.

The purchase price of the seats was figured into the price of our trip....if we couldn't afford a seat for the baby, we wouldn't have gone at all.

Trust your doubt! Buy that precious precious baby a seat and secure her in a FAA approved carseat. Remember babies are the only thing that the gov't doesnt require be secured during take off and landing....even the coffee pots are required to be secured.

I flew from Atlanta to Los Angeles when my DS was 4 weeks old, and from Los Angeles to Portland OR when he was 11 months old. He was a "lap child" both ways. It is true that your child will be safer in his or her own seat in an infant car seat. I personally was not bothered by flying with my son on my lap. I did not get up with him and stayed buckled myself, except for one time on the ATL-LAX flight, I asked a flight attendant to hold him for me so I could use the restroom really quick. If you are concerned about holding on to your baby during turbulence, I would suggest a baby carrier or sling to wear during the flight. This way you could be "hands free" while holding the baby. A sling would be a lot cheaper than an extra plane seat.
It really is a personal choice...some parents opt for the safest route, whereas others are ok with doing it the "old fashioned way".

You raise valid points--but the Hudson River Crash had a baby that survived without incident as a lap child.

Truly, it was the Miracle on the Hudson. :yay:

Do you know if the person holding the child managed to hang onto them during landing? I knew there was a child on the plane, but I've never heard the specifics of it.

I know my mother was on a plane that once dropped 1000 feet straight down during turbulance. She said everything that wasn't tied down went flying, including lap tops and books. I'm just glad I wasn't on the plane trying to hold my kid, kwim? :scared1:

Another poster suggested a sling, but there's a reason the Baby B'air things are not allowed anymore. Same concept. If there's a failed takeoff or you have to brace for landing, the baby suddenly becomes your own personal airbag. I've seen people have to remove children from slings or Baby B'jorn type carriers per the FAs instructions. I've also seen them left alone, but it depends on the FA/airline.

It just isn't a risk I'm willing to take. If I can't afford a seat for my baby, I can't afford to fly. :goodvibes

We are going in 9 days and our YDD will be riding on my lap. Our ODD came home forever at 12 months old. We flew with her from Guatemala. She did great. We didn't even think to get her a seat. There wasn't any problem. If fact the very first time she rode in a carseat ever was on her way home in our car from the airport!

My advice is do what works best and is the least stressing for you. If that means buying a seat call and check with the airline. I am sure if the flight isn't full yet it will be no problem to add a seat on.

Have a great and worry free trip!! :hippie:

One of my friends gave us one of these to use during flights. It can't be used during takeoff or landing (yet...they're working on it) but it keeps the baby in your lap during the flight.

I've not used it since my peanut is not born yet, but the girl who gave it to me LOVED it!

http://www.babybair.com/product.html

I wanted to add for us, it really isn't about the money since we are always flying somewhere (mostly to WDW, lol!!) and we always find great prices out of PHL. I know some people have said if you can afford it, then buy the seat. We can afford it and choose not to simply b/c it is easier for us to keep a small baby in our laps. I did hear from friends that if you buy the seat the baby must be in it for takeoff, landing and whenever the fasten seatbelt sign is lit (for our last flight that would have been the entire flight as there was some turbulance, not sure if that information is accurate though). We felt she was more comfortable in our laps where she could sleep and eat as needed. She also needs to be burped frequently so feeding her in her car seat would have not been an option for us. Once our children are crawling and mobile, then we buy a seat so they are not climbing all over us. Again, this works for us and I understand and respect people who choose to buy a seat for their baby. Interestingly, in all the flights we have been on; we have never seen a rear facing or forward facing infant. I guess people must think we're crazy simply to fly with an infant in the first place!:rotfl:

I have never had a problem with lap babies. They have been comfortable throughout the trip. Mine mostly slept for the flight.

You know your baby best.

Would your child sit in a seat? Mine won't.

People say that it's the same as the baby riding in the car. It's not because I'm not sitting right next to him. I tried to make him sit in his seat but he SCREAMED!!!

That said, for a long flight, I did buy DS a seat simply to give him the option of sitting by himself (he didn't). For 2 hr flights, he was a lap baby.

Next time we fly I plan on using the strappy thing that I can't come up with the name of off the top of my head, lol.

We flew with our son at seven and eleven months and bought a seat both times. For us, I think it was the best solution. Our flight is relatively short (Philly-> Orlando) so the first time he slept straight through. The second time he slept for about 90 minutes and would have even longer if not for the screaming kid in the row behind us.

It's really a personal choice, but we felt as though it was safer and we think having his familiar infant seat made it easier for him to be comfortable and sleep on the plane.

Also--the flight that landed in the Hudson river--there was a lap child who was not harmed in that crash landing. The mom was scared and did hand her baby off to a stranger for the landing--but the baby was not harmed.

United 232 crashed in Souix City with 3 lap babies. All three parents walked off the plane WITHOUT their babies. Only one baby was rescued from an overhead compartment by a stranger who reentered the burning plane after hearing his cries.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter