Inexpensive ideas to clean a linoleum kitcken floor

hallie615

<font color=teal>I'm a bad cook because I never ha
DH and I normally use Mr. Clean to clean our kitchen floor, it's linoleum. I have noticed that it looks dull. I also feel if I walk around in my socks on that floor they seem dirty to me.:confused: I just wondered what you guys would use to clean it and spruce it up???:confused3

Look up homemade floor cleaners!

I use vinegar, hot water . When I do that--my floors (not linoloeum, but terrazzo) don't have a bit of grime on them and my feet stay clean. Works better than swiffer! (I even run a swiffer just to check and it stays for the most part clean. Alone it would take a million swiffers and I would still be pulling up dirt!)

Floor Cleaner and Polish:
vinyl and linoleum: add a capful of baby oil to the cleaning water to preserve and polish.
wood: apply a thin coat of 1:1 vegetable oil and vinegar and rub in well.
painted wood: mix 1 teaspoon washing soda into 1 gallon (4L) hot water.
brick and stone tiles: mix 1 cup white vinegar in 1 gallon (4L) water; rinse with clear water.
Most floor surfaces can be easily cleaned using a solution of vinegar and water. For damp-mopping wood floors: mix equal amounts of white distilled vinegar and water. Add 15 drops of pure peppermint oil; shake to mix.

Some are bothered by the smell..I really am not. It dissipates rather quickly. And my kids can help b/c it is safe!

http://eartheasy.com/live_nontoxic_solutions.htm

I buy the huge jug of vinegar for less than 2 bucks. It lasts longer than other stuff for a fraction of the cost.:banana: (Primary reason I am trying to make my own cleaners--though honestly I stink at making window cleaner)

I use "Awesome" cleaner and it's only $1.00 a bottle! You've probably seen commercials for it on TV. You can find it at most dollar-type stores. It looks like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Awes...002QQitemZ120102406327QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

I also use it on my shower floors, as well. It will get the dirt out that nothing else does. When I clean my floors, I spray it all over and and then get down on my hands & knees with a wet rag and/or moist paper towels. After I'm all finished, I go over it with a sponge mop using only hot water.

My SIL loves to use Brite cleaner, cleans great and leaves the floor shiny. She gets is at Walmart or ShopRite.

you can get some stuff at lowes, i think it is made by armstrong, they have a stripper and a finish to put back on it. good stuff, but don't leave the stripper on very long, it will discolor your floor.(sat the mop down, came back, grey spot:eek: ) i found it by the flooring samples.
my mil uses future. her floor really shines.

Magic Erasers are awesome. If you have a lot of trapped dirt in the textyre of the vinyl try using a scrub brush with a borax paste. Time consuming and painful on th eknees, but effective.

I use just a splash of Lysol to a gallon of water or a splash of Fabuloso - I like the lavender scented. Just depends what I have or what I feel like using that day. I like the smell of the Fabuloso better but my oldest DD loves the Lysol smell after I've cleaned the floors so if she is going to be home (she lives in an apartment off at college) I will use Lysol.

DH was in the Army for 12 years. When we lived in base housing, the housing authority told us to use ammonia in the stairwell (be sure to wear a mask and have lots of ventilation) cut with water to remove all the wax build up. It works really well. It cuts all the grease and wax so no dirt will stick. We did this once a month. the rest of the time, just cleaned as normal.

DH was in the Army for 12 years. When we lived in base housing, the housing authority told us to use ammonia in the stairwell (be sure to wear a mask and have lots of ventilation) cut with water to remove all the wax build up. It works really well. It cuts all the grease and wax so no dirt will stick. We did this once a month. the rest of the time, just cleaned as normal.:laundy:

DH was in the Army for 12 years. When we lived in base housing, the housing authority told us to use ammonia in the stairwell (be sure to wear a mask and have lots of ventilation) cut with water to remove all the wax build up. It works really well. It cuts all the grease and wax so no dirt will stick. We did this once a month. the rest of the time, just cleaned as normal.:laundy:

Yes, ammonia. You can add a cup to a gallon of water. Then follow up with Brite as someone else suggested. It will clean and shine the floor in one step- but it is a little harder to find. Trust me, this works- even on an old worn out floor. Will make it shine like new!

Armstrong floor cleaner (its in a blue bottle). About $5 a bottle but you don't need to use much. It smells really nice.

Sudsy ammonia in really hot water will strip the wax off--which is what your problem is. Vinegar, Mr. Clean, and most other cleaners will not do this. Until the old wax is gone your floor will never be "clean." After you've removed the old wax (it would take 2-3 scrubbings if it's really built up) you'll need to wax it.

In all honesty, if it's an older floor no amount of scrubbing and waxing is going to bring back the "like new" shine, and it probably needs to be replaced if that's what you're going for. If you just want clean with a gloss this method will be great.

Anne

I have linoleum floors that had bad areas that I just could not get clean. I tried everything!! I really thought the vinyl was scratched and that was the problem. I used magic erasers and all of that embedded dirt came out!! I can't believe how good it looks. I have some more projects for magic erasers!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter