inexpensive baby shower gift?

Tiffer

DIS Veteran
I am going to a baby shower on Sunday for a former co-worker's wife. Not that good of a friend. I want to give a nice gift, without spending a fortune. I thought of one of those personalized hooded robes. :confused3 They know they are having a boy and his name is Mason.

I thought of going to TJ Maxx or Marshalls and hitting the clearance section.

I am TOTALLY Non-Crafty...so that cool diaper cake is proabably out of the question.

Any suggestions??

TIA!

The book Babywise would be a good inexpensive gift. I have to swear by that book. I didn't know about it for my first, but used it with my second and it made a HUGE difference between my first and second children. I used it with my 3rd child too and had her sleeping through the night by 8 weeks.

Old Navy had tons of baby clothes on sale- stuff like $3, $4, $5!!! They also had Halloween costumes for kids that were $.99 yesterday (but that might be a little lame).

I ALWAYS give this as a baby shower gift since I bought one for my baby (at the time). I have even gotten requests from the mom to be because it is so practical and something that will actually get used!

Avent Express Microwave Steam Sterilizer

You can get this at any Target and it is often on sale. It also comes with 4 full size bottles.

Diapers!

I would of loved diapers as a gift. You know they are going to get used. I even clipped coupons when my friend was having a baby (I was newly pg & no one knew yet) & gave them to her in her card.

As for the robe, IMO it wouldn't get used. I put my kids in a towel when they get out of the tub/shower & then they get dressed. I am sure there are some people who do use it though.

Or fast forward a few months & think of what a 6 mo, 12 mo old would use.

I don't know if you are able to print GC from some photo places at home (like I am not sure if they have to send you a card or they email you a web certificate). And give her a cute photo album along with it. Or a few picture frames too, I mean you can never have enough.

Or a gift basket filled with goodies: diapers, wipes, infant & children's tylenol & motrin, boo-boo bunny (a bunny with an ice cube for boo-boo's), infants benadryl (can't use until they are 6 mo old), bath soap/shampoo, nail clipper (I always lose a pair which is why I have 2 & currently I can only find one pair), aq gift certificate to Blockbuster/book store, diaper cream, vaseline, infant saline mist since when you need it you don't really want to go out & get it, oragel or hylands teething tabs or both.

My mind is running a blank & I can't figure out what else.

monorailsilver said:
Diapers!

I would of loved diapers as a gift. You know they are going to get used. I even clipped coupons when my friend was having a baby (I was newly pg & no one knew yet) & gave them to her in her card.

As for the robe, IMO it wouldn't get used. I put my kids in a towel when they get out of the tub/shower & then they get dressed. I am sure there are some people who do use it though.

Or fast forward a few months & think of what a 6 mo, 12 mo old would use.

I don't know if you are able to print GC from some photo places at home (like I am not sure if they have to send you a card or they email you a web certificate). And give her a cute photo album along with it. Or a few picture frames too, I mean you can never have enough.

Or a gift basket filled with goodies: diapers, wipes, infant & children's tylenol & motrin, boo-boo bunny (a bunny with an ice cube for boo-boo's), infants benadryl (can't use until they are 6 mo old), bath soap/shampoo, nail clipper (I always lose a pair which is why I have 2 & currently I can only find one pair), aq gift certificate to Blockbuster/book store, diaper cream, vaseline, infant saline mist since when you need it you don't really want to go out & get it, oragel or hylands teething tabs or both.

My mind is running a blank & I can't figure out what else.
I was going to say diapers! Another nice thing is a fully loaded diaper bag but that can run into some money..
diaper bag, diapers (just place some in & then give the rest seperate or give all seperate but place a picture of them in the bag), bottle, bib, diaper cream, change of clothes, feeding spoon...wipes & a rattle..... that is something practical.... and will be used often.

Do the basket, but skip the Benedryl in favor of Simethicone drops -- lots of them. They are a lifesaver if a child is colicky.

I always put caffiene products in my baskets (for Dad), and ocean sounds CD's, too. One of the BEST things you can give is a GC for a full takeout meal; delivered. I always make this personally, and I always deliver it 5 days after baby goes home. That's usually when Dad goes back to work.

I was at our local hospital visiting, and popped into their gift shop. They had the most adorable baby things that you really don't find in the usual mall stores. If you have time, maybe you can check your local hospital gift shop. The stuffed animals were very unique and quite affordable.

How about some favorite childrens books? Either ones from your childhood or current favorites. I recommend board books or soft books. I've always been fond of The Velveteen Rabbit & Goodnight Moon for classics & Sandra Boytons books (But Not the Hippopotomus, Oh my, Oh my, Oh Dinosaurs), Owl Babies & Eric Carle for the 'new' classics.
I'm always in favor of starting a little ones library.

Books are a great idea. If you are a member of sam's or costco they usually have some great baby book sets for a great price.

If you can sew at all, I saw the cutest baby gift at a shower last week. Someone bought regular white burp rags and some pretty ribbon and sewed the ribbon down the 2 seams of the burp clothes. They did a teal/brown theme with some stripes, pocka dots, etc. She said she's making american themed sets with flag ribbon too. Thats sounded pretty cheap and practical.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter