Indy Help

redbirdgrad

Mouseketeer
Going to be coming down from a college visit at Michigan State - heading to IU in Bloomington. Looking at stopping the night before in Fishers, IN - then doing the 1.5 hour drive to Bloomington the next morning - any locals see any problem with that game plan?

Thanks.

No problem that I can think of. Although, Fishers itself may not have the variety of hotels that you will find all along 465. If you are going from Chicago to Bloomington, it might make more sense to stay somewhere on the west side of Indy, unless you have a specific reason for sliding over to Fishers.

I assume you would be coming down I69 from MSU. The Fishers area is nice and quite. There is also a number of nice hotels and dining options as you get closer to I465.

Nice area with lots of choices along 96th and 116th streets....assuming you are coming from Michigan.

I would consider staying on the southside of Indy, if you are leaving for Bloomington during rush hour in the morning. From Fishers you are going with the rush hour and from the southside you are going away from the traffic.

Yes we are coming from MSU down 69 to IU - part of what I was wondering was about morning traffic - we would be leaving Fishers around 7:45 heading towards Bloomington.

That time would be during rush our. The area where I-69 (Fishers Area) goes into 465 can be a mess in the morning. From the southside of Indy it should be an easy drive to Bloomington in the morning. During regular traffic it isn't much more than 20 minutes from Fishers to the southside. There should be some nice motels on the southside and the area isn't bad at all.

Some nice hotels on the southside at Southport Rd & I-65, also plenty of places to eat. You can also head straight west on Southport Rd to 37, (maybe 5 miles), then on down to Bloomington.

LOL, sorry, I read Michigan but thought Chicago. Yes, everyone is right, it's best to head to the southside.

Just realize that highway 37 gets very busy going into Bloomington before a game. They have the ramp on the north side of B'ton set up for driving right u[ the bypass to the stadium, with the police there to direct traffic, but you might end up setting in line for quite a while. Make sure you leave early enough from Indy to get into the stadium in time for the game.

I avoid the area around 17th street, the Bypass, and the stadium/field house on game days. It is nice on the east side, however, since everyone else is at the game! We just make sure we're out of the way before the game is over and the mass exodus begins.

Yeah, I love near B'ton. Go IU!!! (I really don't care about the sports, but since I gave IU so much money for my degrees and DD's tuition, I guess I have to cheer for them)

Weekday mornings at 7:45 you will find me headed North through Fishers- looking at the people who are essentially parked trying to go south, and thankful I'm not them. I'm afraid you'll be lucky if 1.5 hours finds you on the South side of Indy, much less Bloomington.

Can you leave earlier and then possibly stop for breakfast once you get out of Indy?

There are a few hotels on 82nd / 86th street (Castleton) that would allow you to avoid even driving on I-69 in the morning. You would just hop on 465 South and take it around to 37 in the morning. You'll have SOME traffic on 465 at 7:45, but it shouldnt be that bad.

Even driving on 96th street to 465-S you're only going 2 or 3 miles, so your traffic issues wont be THAT bad....it might take you 15 mins to make a normally 5 min drive but it's not as if it is going to take you an hour and half to get around to 37.

Thanks everyone for your input! Don't have to worry about game traffic we are heading there next week and I the advice and booked a room off Southport Rd & I-65. That will make our morning commute much shorter.

Part of our "College World Tour" - already have done U of Florida, U of Illinois, Marquette. MSU and UI next week - then Purdue and Illinois State (my alma mater) in the fall - I'm actually enjoying the tours. The catering to kids that these colleges have to do now (compared to the 80's) is unbelievable.

Thanks Again!

Part of our "College World Tour" - already have done U of Florida, U of Illinois, Marquette. MSU and UI next week - then Purdue and Illinois State (my alma mater) in the fall - I'm actually enjoying the tours.
Thanks Again!

Be sure to not refer to IU (Indiana University) as UI when you are down there....UI is Illinois!!!

Have a fun time...BTown is a good college town, although probably a lot quiter in the middle of July than it will be a month later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter