• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Indirect flight... Changing at JFK, anyone done this?

Just-Pete

Mouseketeer
So I decided to book my flight through Delta, and depart from LHR. I don't drive and I live in Windsor, so it's a 15 minute cab journey to Heathrow as opposed to all manner of public transport and a much longer journey to LGW.

I've never done a connecting flight, as I have always flown to any American destination I've been to with Virgin.

Has anybody here ever done this? Or have any advice etc??? I'm particularly interested / worried about time in JFK and lost luggage concerns etc!

Pete

Haven't done JFK recently, but it's pretty similar for indirect flights. Connection time required varies from one airport to the next depending on various factors. What is your layover time at JFK? Do you have a terminal change when you get your connecting flight there?

Your luggage will be checked straight through at Heathrow, but you will have to collect it after you clear immigration at JFK to proceed through customs. You will then do a bag drop. You don't need to check in again although you will need to go through security again.

On the return flight it is easier because you get everything checked through for the entire journey so you don't need as much time at JFK on the way home.

It's worrying, as nowhere on my email or when I log into my booking does it actually mention my Terminals!!!:eek: However after some googling, it seems I'm flying into Terminal 4, and flying out from Terminal 2. Which now scares me. Until now I hadn't even thought about the whole changing terminal aspect of things.

I arrive in JFK at 13:40, and don't leave until 16:00. So that's like 2 hours and 20 minutes to sort myself out? Does that seem reasonable?

We flew back on Delta via JFK last year. Our flight got delayed at MCO so we were a bit nervous. Then stuck on tarmac at JFK for what felt like forever. When we got off plane a Delta guy called out to all those people who were flying onto London and then it was literally a case of follow me. He had us running at full speed through JFK, about 20 if us. My son was right up front, husband somewhere in the middle and I of course was at the back. Kept think, surely they wont go without me:rotfl2:
Anyway, got to the plane thinking we were the last ones to board and then sat there for 45 minutes waiting for all the passengers from the previous plane who had obviously thought, "we are going to take our time". I guess the flight was never going to go without us as our luggage had been transferred. Anyway its funny now. The Delta guy was great though. As New York as they come. He gave us his Delta business card and said if we were ever at JKF again and had any problems to call him. I just thought he went above and beyond. I wrote Delta a note when I got home to say how impressed I was with him.

So I really wouldn't worry, they will get you home. I really liked Delta. Especially as I paid £420 in summer school holiday. I upgraded to Economy Comfort for $79 per person each way. Definitely worth it, we had front row so loads of room and could put our feet up all the way home.

Thank you, that's reassuring. Did you have to change terminals on that little adventure coming back??

It's going out that I'm mainly worried about though. So I fly into T4, but out of T2.... Does this mean I have to do Passport control at T2, and then find my own way to T4, with my baggage? Or does my baggage somehow go to the plane on its own? (not on its own, but by staff or a little machine?)

And will my 2 hrs 20 mins be enough for all of this! I've checked the timetables, and see that there is one last flight to MCO after the flight that I'm due on if I miss it. And if I do miss it and have to get the later flight, do I have to pay for that? Or is it usual for the airline to sort it out? SO MANY QUESTIONS!!! :scared:

Also, yes I deffo think I will do the Economy comfort, I just want to wait a few days before I pay it, as it's a 'Nice to have" rather than an essential, but it does seem worth it. I would only book it for the two transatlantic flights rather than the internal legs, and I like that the website lets me choose which parts of the flight I want it for. It's quoting me £36 for each transatlantic flight, which seems good value.

On the way there we changed in Boston. We got off plane, went through passport control. Collected our luggage. Went to a different terminal and then had to check in again. Although to be honest it was confusing whether we actually needed to check in or go to the transit desk. But we originally had 2 hours which was more than enough time but then flight got delayed by 2 hours:eeyore:

So we had a long time at possible the most boring airport I have ever been to. I would have actually liked to have some time at JFK on the way back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter