Indianapolis Half Marathon??

ADPiSpaz16

A dream is a wish your heart makes...
I just finished my first 10K ever yesterday. My time was 1:02.07, 10:01 pace. A friend of mine, who just recently ran 3.5 miles without stopping for the first time, is pushing my to run the Indianapolis Half Marathon with her on October 16th, exactly 19 weeks away. Is anyone familiar with this race? How is the course? Is it doable to go from 10K to half in 19 weeks? Am I nuts for even considering it?

I see you are in South Bend. Was that first 10K by chance the Sunburst Race this weekend? I did the 10K this year and last and both years a different friend ran their first 5K.

As for you question about 10K to half, my first 10K was on Sept 18,2005 and my first half was the WDW on Jan 8 2006 which was about 16 weeks so I think you can do it. Just go online and grab a training program and keep up with it.

Frank, It definitely was the Sunburst and I loved it! If I'm not mistaken, didn't you finish third in the 10K?? If that was you, congrats... absolutely fantastic!

I think I can do the half... I think I can do anything. I went from weighing 268 to losing 100lbs to running a 10K, I can do it, right? I just wasn't sure how the course was. I'm now debating over doing the Indianapolis Monumental.

Question for you if you don't mind answering. In a training program, the first couple weeks the long runs are what I would consider short. Should I do them regardless or should I skip them?

Frank, It definitely was the Sunburst and I loved it! If I'm not mistaken, didn't you finish third in the 10K?? If that was you, congrats... absolutely fantastic!

I think I can do the half... I think I can do anything. I went from weighing 268 to losing 100lbs to running a 10K, I can do it, right? I just wasn't sure how the course was. I'm now debating over doing the Indianapolis Monumental.

Question for you if you don't mind answering. In a training program, the first couple weeks the long runs are what I would consider short. Should I do them regardless or should I skip them?

I got 3rd in my age group but not overall. I was 33rd total. Even on my best day the speeds they were doing at the very front is way beyond me.

If you put your mind to it you can do it. The programs are more of a guide then gospel. What I would do instead of extending the long runs out is to skip the first couple of weeks in the program and start at the place you are at now. Don't forget that it isn't only the long run but the total miles for the week that matter. If extending the long run pushes you too far over the mileage you currently do you'll want to offset it by shortening some of the shorter runs.

One of the most common mistakes is increasing too much too quickly so as long as you are mindful of that making tweaks in the program shouldn't be an issue.

Good luck.

Hi Jess
Congratulation on you good 10K. I'll chime in and also say that it is doable for you to complete this. One thing I would add is to remember to do your long runs at a slower pace. I would also recommend keeping with your current training and joining the plan a week or 2 into it.

Thanks, guys! Really appreciate it. I'm in! I took yesterday off after the 10K but I'm very eager to start today. Early registration goes until 6/30 and I don't like to spend extra money so it looks like I'm committing to it come pay day!

Jess,

The course for the 16th is more scenic. It has a few hills, but nothing terrible. The Monumental starts downtown and is more in the city and a few neighborhoods. If either date works, I would run on the 16th. I plan on running the full in that particular race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter