• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Indiana Jones Virtual Queue

I hope any ride that causes their queue to spill into the walkway gets a virtual queue. I was in NOS on Saturday and it looked super crowded but it was everyone in line for pirates...
Agree with this 100%. Pirates is a problem when it comes to the queue. While I like a VQ for IJ as well, that’s less of a problem because it uses the JC queue area. But if the tech is already in place, why not simply employ it wholesale? There’s really no reason for guests to wait in a queue for longer than ten minutes.

But if the tech is already in place, why not simply employ it wholesale? There’s really no reason for guests to wait in a queue for longer than ten minutes.
I wonder what folks not having to wait in line for any rides would make the park feel. Lines currently absorb a large portion of the park population. If no one were waiting in lines, then the park might seem very overcrowded as we get back to normal capacity.

If the VQ is only done for some rides then those people not waiting the line might now be waiting in the lines for non-VQ rides, making those lines longer than they would be.

Unfortunately, as with everything, there are always trade-offs. Nothing is ever free.

I wonder what folks not having to wait in line for any rides would make the park feel. Lines currently absorb a large portion of the park population. If no one were waiting in lines, then the park might seem very overcrowded as we get back to normal capacity.

If the VQ is only done for some rides then those people not waiting the line might now be waiting in the lines for non-VQ rides, making those lines longer than they would be.

Unfortunately, as with everything, there are always trade-offs. Nothing is ever free.
Yes, I understand why they’re doing this for IJ because they’re going to re-open the Jungle Cruise and need that queue back. (If they can queue indoors/with less distancing, though, that might not be an issue.)

Stuff like new attractions and a couple of high-demand rides... ok.

But in general, I hope this won’t be implemented many places. It’s a big loss of flexibility with a lot of downsides if it’s used for more than the most high-demand situations.

The problem I'm having with the IJ virtual queue is that we never know when or if it's going to be launching, so we don't know that we need to get in it. I've never seen it available to join.

The problem I'm having with the IJ virtual queue is that we never know when or if it's going to be launching, so we don't know that we need to get in it. I've never seen it available to join.

I agree. I saw it open this morning, but we were at DCA and this couldn’t join. Now that we’re at DL it’s closed.

I actually did see it open the other day, briefly. I think it was around 9:30. I would love to see an alert added to the app when the queue is about to go live.

Agree with this 100%. Pirates is a problem when it comes to the queue. While I like a VQ for IJ as well, that’s less of a problem because it uses the JC queue area. But if the tech is already in place, why not simply employ it wholesale? There’s really no reason for guests to wait in a queue for longer than ten minutes.
Because all of the people that would normally be in queues would have to have somewhere to go while waiting. This means it makes sense to limit virtual queues to only where needed for now. And it is because they are using JC queue area that they need to use virtual queue at IJ, as JC will likely soon need their queue area back when they reopen.

I joined the virtual both days this weekend. On Saturday, by the time we joined the estimated time for our boarding group to be called was some 5+ hours later, which was fine but did require some rejiggering as we originally planned to be in California Adventure by that point. When we were called, we did go through the line, but it was not too long at that point.

On Sunday, I joined the queue at around 9:45 and was given an estimated 2+ hour call back time. We arrived and ended up going through the entire setup which snaked around using the Jungle Cruise area—up the stairs, down, then back up to go down again, etc. After 45 minutes of line walking, we reached the front of Indy and bam, it went down. They told us we couldn't try waiting a bit more due to Covid, so had us all exit. Meanwhile, nothing was told to others waiting outside, I'm assuming as it was ok for them to just keep waiting outdoors. They put a Multiple Experiences replacement pass on our tickets (good for most all DL rides except Peter Pan and anything in Galaxy's Edge) and told us we could return once it was back up running.

We did return before leaving and thankfully they let us head to the ride going back through the exit, so we didn't have to wait at all. But there were definitely a lot of complaints earlier in the day. They either need to stop calling so many boarding groups at once or make clearer that the queue just gets you a spot in line, but doesn't work like Maxpass. I don't think anyone around me expected to have to wait 45 minutes in line with a boarding group! Even on ROTR both days, we sailed through to get to the ride.

I joined the virtual both days this weekend. On Saturday, by the time we joined the estimated time for our boarding group to be called was some 5+ hours later, which was fine but did require some rejiggering as we originally planned to be in California Adventure by that point. When we were called, we did go through the line, but it was not too long at that point.

On Sunday, I joined the queue at around 9:45 and was given an estimated 2+ hour call back time. We arrived and ended up going through the entire setup which snaked around using the Jungle Cruise area—up the stairs, down, then back up to go down again, etc. After 45 minutes of line walking, we reached the front of Indy and bam, it went down. They told us we couldn't try waiting a bit more due to Covid, so had us all exit. Meanwhile, nothing was told to others waiting outside, I'm assuming as it was ok for them to just keep waiting outdoors. They put a Multiple Experiences replacement pass on our tickets (good for most all DL rides except Peter Pan and anything in Galaxy's Edge) and told us we could return once it was back up running.

We did return before leaving and thankfully they let us head to the ride going back through the exit, so we didn't have to wait at all. But there were definitely a lot of complaints earlier in the day. They either need to stop calling so many boarding groups at once or make clearer that the queue just gets you a spot in line, but doesn't work like Maxpass. I don't think anyone around me expected to have to wait 45 minutes in line with a boarding group! Even on ROTR both days, we sailed through to get to the ride.

Thanks for the report. A stupid question, but clarify, when you returned for your time, was the line only open for the Virtual Queue people? I assume yes but thought I'd check.

Reminder everyone...this is about the Indiana Jones virtual que and is not a political thread!

Thanks for the report. A stupid question, but clarify, when you returned for your time, was the line only open for the Virtual Queue people? I assume yes but thought I'd check.
Not a stupid question! I feel like they could've done a better job in general in explaining some of the virtual queue details. Yes, it was only open for those whose boarding groups had been called. This was also noted in the app by a designation that said "Use Virtual Queue Only." I did hear them tell some walk-ups that if it got less busy at some point, they'd open the line for standby as well. That was the case when we returned at around 7:30. But the park was very busy on Sunday and I only saw the app go between Virtual Queue and Ride Temporarily Closed most of the day.

Not a stupid question! I feel like they could've done a better job in general in explaining some of the virtual queue details. Yes, it was only open for those whose boarding groups had been called. This was also noted in the app by a designation that said "Use Virtual Queue Only." I did hear them tell some walk-ups that if it got less busy at some point, they'd open the line for standby as well. That was the case when we returned at around 7:30. But the park was very busy on Sunday and I only saw the app go between Virtual Queue and Ride Temporarily Closed most of the day.

Thanks. That's what I figured. Yes, in that case it seems like they could easily reduce the number of boarding groups called at a time to minimize wait time. Then again, I think they are trying to minimize line space, not necessarily wait time. It will be interesting to see what happens with time. I'll be there at the end of June.

Follow up question, does anyone know if you can get more than one boarding pass for Indiana Jones? I can imagine you could only hold one at a time, but if you rode it in the morning, could you immediately after riding get another for the afternoon ./ evening assuming any were available?

We did the virtual queue for Indy on Saturday 5/15. I think we got it around 9:30 am, and it was about a 200 minute wait. It ended up going quicker, until it got down to 5 minutes, where it stalled for probably 30+ minutes. We rode the Mark Twain Riverboat in the meantime, and when we were done, it said our boarding time had come. This is where we lucked out. When we got back to Indy, it had been broken down but just reopened, so we just walked through the indoor queue and right onto the ride. There was no queue over at Jungle Cruise or anything; I assumed they cleared the line when the ride broke down. Since Indy is notorious for that, I'm just glad we got to ride it.

By the way, for anyone else who rode Indy recently, did you notice it seemed jerkier than before?? It feels like the old-school "chiropractic adjustment" version of the ride before they toned it down.

New here and have a question. I will be at DL Thursday 5/27 with a park hopper ticket "starting at California Adventure". I'm not sure if I can even join the virtual queue from there since I can't even enter DL park until 1pm? Can you still get on in a regular line? I know at least near closing (way pre-covid) I've been able to get on easily. I'm just worried because I never see a wait time on apps and it's one of my favorite rides...

New here and have a question. I will be at DL Thursday 5/27 with a park hopper ticket "starting at California Adventure". I'm not sure if I can even join the virtual queue from there since I can't even enter DL park until 1pm? Can you still get on in a regular line? I know at least near closing (way pre-covid) I've been able to get on easily. I'm just worried because I never see a wait time on apps and it's one of my favorite rides...
You have to be scanned into Disneyland to get a spot in the IJ virtual queue.

I would love to see Peter Pan get a virtual queue, especially since it doesn't have space for a FP queue. We skip it if we don't have my mom with us (she uses DAS) because the wait is always so long and the queue is so tight.

Yesterday, Indy used the virtual queue and slots were gone by the time 1:00 rolled around. But then it opened up for standby around 7:30, so still had the chance to ride it.

How early are the spots running out? For fun I checked at about 12:10 today and it was closed. Is it one we should try getting right after getting RotR?

How early are the spots running out? For fun I checked at about 12:10 today and it was closed. Is it one we should try getting right after getting RotR?

I think the time varies for when they start offering boarding passes for Indy. Last Saturday, we got one for RotR at 7:00 and noticed there weren't any for Indy yet. I assume they use regular standby when the park opens and offer boarding passes when it gets busy. We noticed they had them available around 9:30, so just keep checking the app after the park opens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter