Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Final thoughts/future trips 4/2p90 The End 4/4p92

Hi Mary Ellen!!!
The wave is on my list now, how did your order that pork?
Isn't that studio the dinkiest?
Glad I just took a bath....:eek:

I just went through all the DVC properties to write the square footage in my big new DVC book and found out that the BLT studio is the SMALLEST of them all (but for a few AKL ones) at 339 s.f. Most of the rest are above 350.

When that sofa bed is pulled out, you can barely walk around it to get to the balcony!

eandesmom said:
what great great updates!

I still can't get over that shower...and mat situation. OW OW and OW!

what a fun night you had, amazing meal, yummy drinks, a photography lesson and fireworks from your own balcony, it just all sounds perfect! even with the rain.

Sad that the pool is meh. In general the Disney pools seem to run too warm which just isn't refreshing on a hot day!

It was interesting on this trip to compare 3 pools, the one that had by far the best water temp was also so ridiculously shallow that it got boring in a heartbeat (hard rock hotel).

It wasn't just the bathroom floor, I almost turfed myself in the kitchen a few times with socks on! I think a bathmat is an excellent purchase for an Owner's Locker. To save room you could probably just get some of the non-slip roll out matting and place it under the bathmat they provide.

I'm caught up again! Loving the BLT pics!!!!! I have heard about the shower and the slippery floor issues - freaks me out a bit with Henry, but we'll just have to be extra careful. I wonder how everything will look with them putting the sink in the bathroom now....I sure wish the room just had the normal orientation of a Studio and it would feel so much bigger!! All well - the location still cannot be beat! :cloud9:

We have a lunch scheduled at The Wave and are looking forward to it! We ate there the year it opened and had some awesome cheeseburgers, this time I'll get a bit more adventurous.

What was the deal with the pull-out couch? :laughing: The ones they have at BWV (brand new ones) are kinda crazy - you don't have to take off the cushions. Are BLT's like that too? Did you have to fold it up every single night so there would be enough walking space in the room? We just left it open at BWV and there was enough space.

Glad you're all caught up! The room is small and I'm curious to see what moving the sink will do to the overall size and layout of the room

The pull out couch was easy, too easy really. The instructions simple say grab the handles and WALK STRAIGHT BACK. First you have to find the handles. "Where are the handles? I don't see any handles, do you? Well the lady in the picture has handles, so there must be handles." We had to search around and find the elusive handles which were buried in the front edge of the couch. Once we had the handles it was just a matter of walking straight back, which can be a challenge for anyone, especially after drinks! You have to give it a good heave-ho before it starts to move then it's a lot like dragging a body across the floor; I guess, becuase I don't really know what that's like :rolleyes1

Lady Lallie said:
I was way behind but I'm caught up now.

Your meal at The Wave looks fantastic! What a bummer about missing the fireworks from the TOTWL!

Glad you're caught up LL and the Wave was great, I can't imagine a bad review of it. I'm glad we got to see the TOTWL and seeing the fireworks up there might have made it better, but I don't see what the big deal is really.

SoonerGirl said:
Now on to the updates: Jen mentioned it in hers, but that dessert she got at The Wave was the Sugar Free. That's the same dessert I got when we ate there and it was really good, it was the only part of the meal I enjoyed but that's another story!

I really like this pic, very pretty!

Gorgeous fireworks shots too!

Yes, the no sugar added dessert was yummy. I think the chocolate mint mousse was the best of the trio, but I am very biased to anything chocolate mint flavored!

wigdoutdismom said:
Hi Mary Ellen!!!
Glad I just took a bath....

I don't remember them asking what temperature I wanted my pork. :confused3 I always thought pork was cooked through, but I am no expert on that subject.

Mndisneygirl said:
I just went through all the DVC properties to write the square footage in my big new DVC book and found out that the BLT studio is the SMALLEST of them all (but for a few AKL ones) at 339 s.f. Most of the rest are above 350.

When that sofa bed is pulled out, you can barely walk around it to get to the balcony!

We met someone in the hallway looking for the ice machines and we got to talking about the size of the rooms. She told us that BLT studios were the smallest of all DVC properties. She was also disappointed with her view because she had reserved a "lake view" room and in order to see the water they had to crane their neck around. We didn't mention the fact that our "lake view" had a great lake view along with a MK view :ssst:

D4D

When I ordered the pork at Cali Grill in July it came with a bit of a warning that it came medium. I was prepared....
I ordered it medium well, I really wanted it cooked through but didn't want to seem uncivilized.
It was the best thing I had eaten so far at Disney.

When I ordered the pork at Cali Grill in July it came with a bit of a warning that it came medium. I was prepared....
I ordered it medium well, I really wanted it cooked through but didn't want to seem uncivilized.

This is exactly how I am ordering mine next Sunday night. Uncivilized or not!!

Tracy

I was way behind but I'm caught up now.

Your meal at The Wave looks fantastic! What a bummer about missing the fireworks from the TOTWL!

Well, you called it right when you cancelled that night. You must have known, because it would have been a huge disappointment to get you up for there for 3 minutes and then get rained out.

your Wave review just made me add it to my "Disney 2011" list of ADR possibilities! It would be awesome to do dinner, then walk over to MK! Awesome pictures as always!

It IS awesome to walk over to the MK after dinner. I highly recommend it as I have done it twice. It's even better when you have a car because that parking lot is empty, empty, empty and you can leave your car there.

That there is! and it is really nice to actually take advantage of the full experience. So often I think it can be wake up, hit the parks, go go go, eat, go to bed and you can really miss the entire resort experience as well as so many other things that way.

Someday I am going to visit when I am "inbetween" annual passes. I am going to do the whole resort thing and explore some of the other places in Orlando that I always miss. I'd like to plan it around a party so at least I can get a party ticket and visit the MK.

It is funny though because it does look so cool in the pictures. You just never know really.

I agree - Doesn't that look like the coolest pool ever in Jen's pictures, and then you get down there and its just "eh". Maybe its cooler at night. :confused3

That would be so much fun, I'd love to go! I doubt I could make that a reality given our estimation of what our family vacation will cost next year, but you never know - if I come into some unexpected cash, I'm there! :thumbsup2

!

Well, I'm gonna cross my fingers for some unexpected cash. When I read your TR I couldn't believe we were there at the same time last year and I didn't know you then. I would have loved to meet you and your mom.

What a bummer that you got all set up for the fireworks only to have the rains pour down, and an even bigger bummer that you left thinking they were cancelled when they really weren't! Of course being able to watch them from your room balcony is pretty darn cool too :thumbsup2

Can you believe that? Everybody cleared out of the lounge figuring there would be no fireworks and then they start unexpectedly an hour or so later. I guess there is no way for the staff up there to know. They only know when they have to clear the deck.

I really like this pic, very pretty!

Gorgeous fireworks shots too!

I deleted your comment about the Wave, but bummer your meal there was bad. sorry to hear that.

Isn't that a great shot of the pool!

Glad you liked the fireworks pics!

Hi Mary Ellen!!!
:

However Jen ordered it, it looked scrumptious. I'm not a big pork fan, but I know I would have loved that dish.

It was disappointingly small. I kept thinking to myself "and people complain about the size of the POP rooms". Despite that, it still was a great stay.

Glad I just took a bath....:eek:

:rotfl2: Smart woman!

OK, curious....How big is the one at OKW?

And its interesting that the 11 or so square feet make a difference, but it does.

Thanks for posting that info!

The pull out couch was easy, too easy really. The instructions simple say grab the handles and WALK STRAIGHT BACK. First you have to find the handles. "Where are the handles? I don't see any handles, do you? Well the lady in the picture has handles, so there must be handles." We had to search around and find the elusive handles which were buried in the front edge of the couch. Once we had the handles it was just a matter of walking straight back, which can be a challenge for anyone, especially after drinks! You have to give it a good heave-ho before it starts to move then it's a lot like dragging a body across the floor; I guess, becuase I don't really know what that's like :rolleyes1

D4D

Is that what the problem was???? We couldn't find the handles???? LOL. :lmao: OK That's funny! :lmao: What's even funnier is I have no recollection of that! :rolleyes1

I DO remember you raving over the pork! And I don't blame you for wanting it cooked thoroughly. I guess I'm going to need to be more adventurous and try more pork!

This is exactly how I am ordering mine next Sunday night. Uncivilized or not!!

Tracy

:rotfl2: I love it! Not only do you know where you are eating, but you know what you are eating, and how you are having it cooked! Now that's an uber planner.

MEK - the studio at OKW is 390 s.f.

I looked them all up and wrote them in the book. I'm turning into a DVC nerd now. I must know all the details!

Is that what the problem was???? We couldn't find the handles???? LOL. :lmao: OK That's funny! :lmao: What's even funnier is I have no recollection of that! :rolleyes1

Really?

:drinking1

No recollection?

:drinking1:drinking1

You don't say?

:drinking1:drinking1:drinking1

Hm, do you blackout often, Mary Ellen?

:dance3:

D4D

MEK - the studio at OKW is 390 s.f.

I looked them all up and wrote them in the book. I'm turning into a DVC nerd now. I must know all the details!

DVC Nerd.....:lmao:....I love that! 390sf....nice...Is that the same size as Vero because the 1BR at Vero was huge and looked like the config of the 1BR at OKW.

I am so glad you are turning into a nerd. Now I know who to ask whenever I have a question!

Really?

No recollection?

You don't say?

D4D

Very funny, Very funny! No wonder I didn't see this the first time I looked. I was shielding myself. Touche'!

Oh - but wait - it's 2.5 drinks. Can you fix that? :rotfl:

We really liked the Wave & the bread was very tasty. CSR is one of our favorite resorts, it has such beautiful grounds. I like to walk around there after dark.

I'm having such camera envy,your photos are so good. The shots of the light fixtures were very artsy. I used to take such great photos with my 35mm Canon SLR. I should get it out of the closet & start using it again. The trouble with it is the weight & bulk, but that baby could take some fine pix.

We really liked the Wave & the bread was very tasty. CSR is one of our favorite resorts, it has such beautiful grounds. I like to walk around there after dark.

I'm having such camera envy,your photos are so good. The shots of the light fixtures were very artsy. I used to take such great photos with my 35mm Canon SLR. I should get it out of the closet & start using it again. The trouble with it is the weight & bulk, but that baby could take some fine pix.

I'm glad you are enjoying the pictures so far; we took lots and lots and lots, so there's more to come! MEK is using her Canon Rebel DSLR while I am using a point-n-shoot Canon SX110 IS. I opted to leave my Nikon D200 at home because I didn't feel like shlepping it around (that thing is heavy!) but that didn't stop me from getting some nice shots. I thinks it's more important to know how to use the camera then what camera you have.

Remember, nicer pots and pans won't make the food taste better!

D4D

So I just had another Doh moment and I didn't even have to drink to get it. I uploaded the wrong Day 3 pictures to my photobucket account. I uploaded the UNEDITED Day 3 pictures. Doh...Doh....and Double Doh. So now I am uploading the correct Day 3 pictures, which of course is taking FOR-EV-ER, so this is gonna be a short update.

And before I begin the update, since I don't have many pictures uploaded yet, let me show you a few of the firework pictures I edited with effects......

IMG_8375-1.jpg

IMG_8384-1.jpg

IMG_8376-1.jpg

IMG_8379-1.jpg

So without any further adieu - Bring on Day......

IMG_8821-1.jpg

Day 3 started in the dark - at least for me. I got up close to my usual wake-up time. I was probably stirring around 6am or so, but didn't actually plant my feet on the floor for another 10 or 15 minutes. Again, I was smart enough to make the coffee the night before. This helped me avoid waking Jen. Today's coffee was much better given the fact that I could now drink coffee out of a real mug - a porcelain mug - one complete with Walt, Mickey, and the castle. Ah....morning bliss.

I bumbled my way out to the balcony and sat in the dark, taking in the early morning sights and sounds as the MK started to wake up. I so enjoyed the solitude and I gave myself sufficient time for the cobwebs to clear before I changed into my running clothes and shoes. I was psyched to be running on the path to the MK.

Many of you think I am crazy for running while I'm on vacation. But, truth be told, I don't get to run at home as much as I would like. I always run on my days off and during vacation. It's just what I do and I love the solitude of a morning run, especially as the magical world of a Disney resort wakes up around me.

There are some really cool places to run at Disney world. Some of these places are as magical as the parks themselves. For example, some of my most favorite running memories include....

* My first stay at CBR. I remember running through the dusk and seeing these bright neon structures off in the distance. What could they be? But, of course, the bowling pins of the 50's POP buildings.

* My first stay at SSR. I remember finding all the cool running paths that spread across the resort. I remember the quiet and peacefulness I discovered when I ran by the water, with the shadows of DTD looming in my sight.

* My first run around Bay Lake after leaving the WL. Just me, myself, and I, completely losing sense of direction in what I imagined could be the vast wilderness of a national forest.

* My first run along a dirt path not far from the Vero Beach Resort. To my right, beautiful trees and a quiet canal. To my left, the remnants of civilization.

I have had many wonderful runs at Disney world. In fact, the only resort that I've found to be disappointing for running is the AKL. The only place to run is along the parking lots and down a construction entrance. That was one vacation where I actually did most of my running on a treadmill, instead of on the real road.

It was still dark when I left to go running. It was actually difficult to see the path in front of me. I remember thinking that the headlines in the newspaper might say, "guest disappears while running outside of the magic kingdom". Yeah - it was a little spooky heading out in the dark, but I knew daybreak was imminent. That knowledge calmed my fears. After all, what could happen to me at Disney?

As I approached the MK, I saw several workers up ahead. The night shift must be finishing up their work for the shift. They were intent on watering and weeding, probably happy to know their shift was getting ready to end. Or, perhaps they were just starting - trying to hustle and get as much work done as possible before the sun was high in the sky.

My footsteps became surer and my sight improved as I passed the MK and continue to follow the path along the water. I thought of Christine and her "private entrance" at Epcot. I eagerly dubbed this path "Mary Ellen's private running path".

My private path ended by the canal where the boats for the electric light parade are stored. Across the water I could see the Grand Floridian and the Grand One docked at its slip. I sat on a bench and gazed out over the water as the first hints of the sun could be seen behind the contemporary. I remember wishing I had a camera so I could capture the beauty of the rising sun and the solitude of the water in the early morning.

It was still so dark at the time that I probably wouldn't have gotten much in the way of pictures, but just to give you an idea of the view, here is a pictures I took with my cell phone a few days later.....

downsized_0916000731b-2.jpg

Of course, its a cell phone picture so I found it necessary to edit it, just for fun!

downsized_0916000731b-1.jpg

downsized_0916000731b-4.jpg

downsized_0916000731b-2-1.jpg

I was careful not to sit too long. I did not want my endorphins to crash. Plus I wanted to get back and get on with my day. On the way back I actually passed some of the first guests of the morning - an older couple, who looked like they might be heading for the train tour, and a young couple with children. Perhaps an early breakfast adr?

When I got back to the room Jen was still sleeping. No worries. I went back out to the balcony and took a few more pictures. By now the sun was really high over Bay lake.

Yikes! Talk about Bright......

IMG_8411-1.jpg

IMG_8418-1.jpg

IMG_8419-1.jpg

In case you were wondering......here's the view from our balcony if you looked straight down....

IMG_8415-1.jpg

IMG_8416-1.jpg

Before long Jen was up and stirring and we were planning our day. Today, Day 3, was Animal Kingdom Day. You all know how much I love this park. Its the most photogenic of all the parks and there are thousands upon thousands of picture opportunities.

Our first stop upon entering the AK was......

IMG_8423-1.jpg

We passed these guys on our way......

IMG_8421-1.jpg

We, of course, stopped here to gather some FP's.....

IMG_8427-1.jpg

It didn't take long for either of us to get back into our picture taking mode.....

IMG_8426-1.jpg

IMG_8448.jpg

IMG_8424-1.jpg

IMG_8425-1.jpg

IMG_8428-1.jpg

IMG_8452.jpg

Up Next.....Can We Conquer the Yeti with our Front Row Mojo?

We were tempted to go back to MK the night before, and part of me really wanted to, but the part of me that knew we had a big day ahead of us prevailed. Which was good because we had a bus to catch to AK. I think this is one of the only bus rides we took, right Mary Ellen?

It was going to be another hot day. You could tell because of the haze that clung to everything. Not quite fog, just heat-haze and it made for some difficutl pics early on.

9-10_WDW_144.jpg

It also made for some sweet rays of light pics!

9-10_WDW_138.jpg

9-10_WDW_137.jpg

9-10_WDW_136.jpg

9-10_WDW_135.jpg

Once the haze burned off, things got better.

9-10_WDW_143.jpg

9-10_WDW_142.jpg

9-10_WDW_141.jpg

9-10_WDW_140.jpg

9-10_WDW_139.jpg

We debated for a moment between riding the Safari and getting FP's for Everest or getting FP's for the Safari and riding Everest. I thought that we'd have a better chance of seeing the lions if we rode the Safari early but MEK talked me into Everest. Ok, it doesn't take a lot to change my mind. It's something she likes to do first as her introduction to the park. Later I learn that she has to psych herself up for it, and if she waits then she may not ride ite. In that case, I am perfectly happy to ride Everest first! :thumbsup2

We took the scenic route. Which means we just walked over there like everyone else, but this place is so freakin' scenic we had to stop and take pics everywhere :goodvibes

9-10_WDW_132.jpg

9-10_WDW_134.jpg

9-10_WDW_133.jpg

The Caravan Stage is where the Flights of Wonder show takes place. I love that show. I'd like to take my step-father to see it, but he's got this deathly-fear of birds, so I don't think that would go over well. :duck:

Heh, I thought this was funny.
9-10_WDW_131.jpg

I don't know why that sign amused me.

D4D

I deleted your comment about the Wave, but bummer your meal there was bad. sorry to hear that.

It was just an overall bad experience, our server had the personality of a wet mop, both kids got sick, Justin during dinner, Jared after. Don got sick later that night, and I obviously ordered the wrong thing because my entree was just ehhhh. I hear lots of good things about it, but I'm not sure I'm brave enough to give it another try....

Really?

No recollection?

You don't say?

D4D

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Mary Ellen, your morning run sounds so peaceful :goodvibes

I can't wait to see all of the pictures you two took at AK, I love that park!

I can see how your early morning run can really start your day off well. The solitude and then watching the whole World wake up must really be something. Still not doing it though :laughing: In May I will get up early with you and walk over to the Boardwalk Bakery and have a treat while you run around the lake :rotfl2:

Jen--very cool pictures of the rays of light that you caught :thumbsup2
MEK love the edits that you did to the fireworks...purple smoke :thumbsup2

Tracy

I had several updates to catch-up on....let's see if I can remember the comments I wanted to make.

The Wave. I haven't gotten to that yet in my TR, but our dinner there was good but we didn't leave thinking that it was a "must do" restaurant for us.

Bummer that the fireworks started right after you left TOTWL, but you both got some good shots from your balcony.

Those "beams of lights" photos are fantastic. It looks like you could climb them!

Hmmm, I probably had more comments, but that's what happens when you get old -- you can't remember what you were going to say if you read more than one update...and people offer you the bed rather than the pull-out sofa. ;)

I enjoyed your wishes pictures, it is amazing what kinds of pictures you can take if you know what you are doing. I could look at your pictures all day. They make me feel like I am there.

Great updates, Mary Ellen and Jen. I agree...the AK has so many photo opportunities in all of the detail, etc. You guys do such a great job capturing all that detail.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter