Inauguration

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by georgiasmom, Jan 13, 2013.

1. georgiasmom

georgiasmom Mouseketeer

I am sailing on the Dream one week from today. Was anyone cruising during the last Presidential Inauguration? Do they play it somewhere on the ship?

A

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. TDC Nala

TDC Nala <font color=red>1937, what a year that was<br><fon Moderator

I am on that cruise too. Only I'm from DC and I'm going to get away from the inauguration.

The inauguration will take place on Monday the 21st which is a port day (Nassau.) I don't know if they'll show it on the funnel vision or not. You may be able to see it in the pub on Deck 4 which has multiple televisions. It will almost certainly be available on your stateroom TV, they get CNN and other news channels.

If you don't have children with you, there is a TV in the Cove Cafe (adults only) that is usually tuned to a news channel. Because we'll be in port, I don't know if the satellite signal may be more stable.

4. georgiasmom

georgiasmom Mouseketeer

Thanks! We are planning to stay on the boat that day. Sounds like we should be able to find it somewhere!

A

5. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

You'll at least see clips on stateroom TV. I really wouldn't expect it on the Dumbotron (funnel vision). They rarely show very popular sporting events, but otherwise, that venue is Disney movies and animated short features. Frankly, I would not be pleased if I stayed on the ship to enjoy the pool and found the US news that I was on vacation to get away from playing on the big screen.

6. NCConch

NCConch Mouseketeer

When I board the ship I plan to be in a self imposed media blackout. No news, no Internet, no outside world. Since I was a kid, Disney always had an other worldly effect on me. For me this is all about escapism.

7. tvguy

tvguy Question anything the facts don't support.

Disney owns ABC.

The ships have ABC (if the satellite is working)

ABC plans coverage from 10 am to 3 pm (I work at an ABC affiliate).

I would say odds are, at the very least, you'll be able to see it in your stateroom. What they decided to put on the big screen, I don't know. And since the bars are closed while the ship is in port, I'm not sure they will be an option.

8. georgiasmom

georgiasmom Mouseketeer

TVGUY thanks for the info. Knowing the broadcast window I can at the very least set up my TIVO before we go

9. allears

allears "If I were not upon the sea..." I'd want to be!

The bars aren't closed when the ships are in port. However, some of the venues aern't in use. The "pubs" are pretty much always open.

10. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

The bars are not closed while the ships are in port. Some of them have reduced hours and some are used as meeting points for excursions, but you can purchase all the alcoholic beverages you wish...and the physical locations are open for TV, games, etc.

11. jlynch924

jlynch924 Mousin' Around

The stateroom tvs have news, too. Our trip over NYE had plenty of coverage of the fiscal cliff hoopla, if you so desired.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

12. MDTerp

MDTerp Mouseketeer

I know exactly what you mean. I work in DC as a Fed and we were in WDW last inauguration. This year we are heading to Puerto Rico b/c we couldn't make a Fantasy trip that stops there and I really want to check it out!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

13. darkwing818

darkwing818 DIS Veteran

This is the ONLY way to Cruise...:dance3::dance3:

14. lbgraves

lbgraves Little Cinderella's Mommy

I would certainly hope it wasn't on the Dumbotron. We go on vacation to get away!

15. kriswin1

kriswin1 Earning My Ears

glad to know this so i can be sure to stay away from all tvs that day.

16. TDC Nala

TDC Nala <font color=red>1937, what a year that was<br><fon Moderator

Last inauguration, I was in New Zealand.

17. Zeppelin

Zeppelin DIS Veteran

:thumbsup2

18. Futurist

Futurist REAL magic is when you can make people WANT to bel

My DW and I were on the Magic when President Obama was inaugurated the first time. We were docked in St. Thomas, I think, and thought we'd missed it, but there was a time zone difference, so we happened to be in the Cove Café when the Inauguration came on, so, purely by luck rather than good planning, saw it happen.

So I can tell you that then it was definitely on TV, and it wasn't clips, it was live. Whether that's true this time or not I can't say, but I tend to think that if you go to any of the adult bars that have TVs, they are likely to have it on screen. It shouldn't matter whether you're in port or at sea. Ask at Guest Services, but generally speaking, when there's a major event (e.g. SuperBowl, major weather event, inauguration, etc.) it will be available somewhere for viewing.

Hope this helps! :hippie:

Richard

19. Dizzyworld

Dizzyworld DIS Veteran

Same here. That's also why we love going to Disney.

Very nice.