Inaugural Disney Wine&Dine**1/2 Marathon** Post Race Discussion!

I have to agree about the sizing. I almost always wear a medium and my "free" shirt is HUGE!

My XL tech shirt is baggier than I would like, but I'll still wear it. That red Eat Drink Run shirt was my favorite, but luckily I tried it on before buying - the XL fit me like a sausage casing from over in the Biergarten. So - sadly, I had to leave without it. I bought the long sleeved one with waiter Mickey on it, which is cute, too.

You are correct. I definitely drank non alcoholic beverages for the past week as well, but I just think it's the wine and dine half marathon, not the kool aid and dine half marathon. So it had an alcoholic connotation to me.

While true they did have kids races so I would expect them to have some kids merchandise too.

I usually buy at least something at all the Disney races, even just a coffee cup, but didn't find anything I wanted other then the pin which I mount with the medal.

As for the clothing sizes, they did have a place to try on the clothes but it was not well marked. The only reason I noticed is was someone was in there and since it was blocked with just a curtain they had a cast member blocking it off. I wouldn't have noticed it without seeing her standing there.

Also, the pictures look like they are up here. It looks like they are still updating the database so if your search returns no results wait a little while.

Frank! Congratulations! That is quite an impressive performance.

I did relay with DH. He was DLF on the first part and I am SO Proud of him.

Was overwhelmed by the after party crowds it was all I could do to get out of there.

I had issues all of those mentioned and will add some from my experience a bit later today.

I've appreciated everyone's comments. I ran the Mickey's 5K early in the day (feels lame since SO many ran the half) and loved it, it was my first race ever, and my daughter did the half, some other friends did the relay.

I'm glad to read everyone's assessment. I know that my daughter and friends enjoyed the course. There were some problems with the volunteers at packet pick up for the half, as my daughter was given the wrong name & packet several times, finally got the correct one, only to discover at the start that she hadn't gotten her finish line party ticket or vouchers, she was given a wristband and told she would have to get her vouchers in Epcot. I was able to get this sorted out for her thanks to a fabulous cast member who is part of Disney's Special Events Team. So that was great.

For me, I didn't like not being able to see the start of the race. The transportation was confusing. The finish line party info was inconsistent, with one side of the ticket stating 10:00 PM-2:00 AM and the other saying 10:30-3:00AM. It was insanely crowded, I didn't use my vouchers as the lines were way too long, it would be nice if we could use the vouchers the next day or the amount of tickets were limited to the runners and one family member or more of Epcot were opened to accommodate the large numbers of people. The finish line area was very small, and it was difficult to find your runner after they crossed (especially as AT&T's network was overloaded and mostly not functioning). I would have much preferred that the finish line be IN Epcot somewhere with a bit more room for spectators.

I plan to run the half marathon at next years wine and dine weekend, but I will be giving the after party a miss, I was pretty disappointed in the after party, I'd rather pay a higher ticket price and get an experience similar to Disney's other hard ticket events. This one just seemed poorly planned and thought out. They knew how many tickets they sold, why did they not plan for that number of people to be crowded into world showcase patronizing the kiosks? I wonder if the party should being later...maybe an hour or hour and a half after the runners start? If it is a party for the runners, they should be able to enjoy more of it.

Please add me to the large list of those who got sick after the race. I've never gotten sick after a race before and I've raced in everything from 90 degrees with 100% humidity to 20 degrees with freezing rain. I'm not really sure why I got sick but after drinking 1/2 a can of Coke and getting some sugar in me, I felt so much better.

I agree with all of the problems already listed and have sent an email to runDisney suggesting a panel of runners and walkers who can give input and suggestions. I am currently a cast member and would love to give my honest opinion!! The best information comes from those who actually sweat out on the course and pick up the pace to avoid the sweepers, right??!! We'll see if they respond.

Not so sure that night time racing is for me but I'm so glad I did it and got my medal and saw/met so many Wishers!

Please add me to the large list of those who got sick after the race. I've never gotten sick after a race before and I've raced in everything from 90 degrees with 100% humidity to 20 degrees with freezing rain. I'm not really sure why I got sick but after drinking 1/2 a can of Coke and getting some sugar in me, I felt so much better.

I was worried after seeing you post race. Glad you recouped alright.

I was worried after seeing you post race. Glad you recouped alright.

Thanks Todd, it was pretty scary for a few minutes there. My husband said if I didn't feel any better by the time we got to the car, he was taking me straight to Celebration hospital! He walked behind me most of the way to the parking lot so he could catch me if I fell over.

Speaking of product, I was looking forward to some Nesquick after the run, being as they were at the expo I thought there would be some at the finish.

I ran the Mickey 5K and we got some! The thought of chocolate milk after running has never appealed to me as a recovery drink, but since they handed it out I tried it and I actually like it! Who knew?!? :confused3

Hi Everyone, I shot video while running Mickey's Halloween 5K with DD9 (pooh: ). We had such a fun time training for and running this race together, and I am so proud of her. You can find the video on the DIS Unplugged blog in the link below.

DIS Unplugged: Video Tour of Mickey's Halloween 5K Through The Magic Kingdom

I'm curious to read everyone's responses and reaction to the half marathon, but I have to run to a meeting.

I also shot video of the Half Marathon course too, and I need to edit that for the blog later this week.

Thanks Todd, it was pretty scary for a few minutes there. My husband said if I didn't feel any better by the time we got to the car, he was taking me straight to Celebration hospital! He walked behind me most of the way to the parking lot so he could catch me if I fell over.

And then there was the enticing smell of fish in England....boy did that add to the wonderful feeling already going on in the belly! What were they THINKing?!?!

Glad you felt better & had ur DH to help.

Question for everyone who ran the full half. I'm running my first full 1/2 next month and my training plan has me running up to 12 miles for my longest run, but this weekend I heard lots of people say that their longest training run was only 10 miles. Should I do the 11 and 12 mile long runs or just keep it at 10 for my longest?

Question for everyone who ran the full half. I'm running my first full 1/2 next month and my training plan has me running up to 12 miles for my longest run, but this weekend I heard lots of people say that their longest training run was only 10 miles. Should I do the 11 and 12 mile long runs or just keep it at 10 for my longest?

I would beg you to do 13. I ran my first half in Philly in September having only gone up to 12, and the last miles were physically and mentally almost unbearable. Even having completed the 13.1 in Philly, the 13.1 in Orlando was still very, very difficult.

If you can go past the distance in your training, do it. You can most assuredly FINISH having only trained for 10, but it won't be pretty.

I have to agree with RM317 here. I have only trained up to 10 miles. My training program called for me to go further (up to 14), but i missed my 12 and 14 miler before my half in August and it was SO HARD when I hit that wall at 10. Then I was injured and only got to 9 miles as my longest before the W&D. While I should have again gone to 12 or 14. It was actually easier for me in Florida, because I think the atmosphere was more exciting for me than my August run, but I still hit the wall at 11. If you can get there, get it under your belt. Mentally that will be one of your greatest tools! When you get tired you can just say, I did this 2 weeks ago or what's one more mile past the 12 I already did.

For January, I will definitely be training up to 14. Good luck to you and have fun!

I think if you have time, do it. For my first half, I only trained up to 10 and I was absolutely fine. But that's where my training left me. I may try to get to 12 before the Princess Half if I have time.

I did the full distance before hand. I needed to know mentally, going in, that I could. I can understand the logic behind the training methods that don't say go the full distance, but I was paranoid/worried/frightened with a million 'what ifs', and this was a way I could silence some of them.

I have to agree with everyone that the organization was sub-par for a Disney event. That being said, I had a fabulous time otherwise :thumbsup2

Running as a team with my mom and crossing the finish line with my cousin could not have been more perfect. I guess this would be a PR for me as it's the first time I've ever raced over a 5k :rotfl:

My training topped out at 10 miles and that was plenty for me. I think either way would be fine.

I anyone is interested, I posted a more detailed race report with pictures on my blog. The link is in my signature.

I have enjoyed reading everyone's reviews and experiences!!

It is so good to have this experience under my belt now....I am pleased to know I endured much better than I expected...other than sore legs and not being able to sleep until Sunday night....I felt great after the race:) Maybe first timers luck....with that said...I am registered for the Half in January!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter