• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

In Training: Marathon Weekend 2013 (Dopey Challenge)! 1/17 - LINK TO TRIP REPORT!

Week 17: Run #1 (5 miles on the treadmill)
Monday, December 17, 2012

5 miles complete/40 miles planned for the week
409.1 miles completed so far in training

My schedule is going to be shuffled around a bit this week. I think it'll be tiring, but so, so worth it if I make it through.

Monday - 5 miles on the treadmill *done!*
Tuesday - 5 miles on the treadmill *last 5-miler on the treadmill! :worship:*
Wednesday - strength training *last day of work this week!!* :yay:
Thursday - 10 miles
Friday - 20 miles
Saturday - Christmas with the in-laws
Sunday - Christmas with the in-laws

I keep tinkering with my schedule for the week of Christmas...not totally sure how that will shake out just yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll be running on Christmas Eve and Christmas day. I have Monday-Wednesday off of that week and am going to try to avoid the treadmill as much as possible! :eek:

Today's run:
Total time: 50:12 for 5 miles
Average pace: 10:02ish/mile

Happy Monday! 23 days until I take off for Disney! :yay:

IMG_0391.JPG

Continued in Next Post

Everything's getting close! You're doing awesome, BTW!

I'm a C Corraler, too, but as I suspected, my fiancé is one back in D, so I'll probably drop back to hang out with him till the start.

I do my long runs on Tuesdays, so I've got one more before it's taper time!!!! Woot-woot! Good luck everyone! Can't wait to get to WDW!!!

Everything's getting close! You're doing awesome, BTW!

I'm a C Corraler, too, but as I suspected, my fiancé is one back in D, so I'll probably drop back to hang out with him till the start.

I do my long runs on Tuesdays, so I've got one more before it's taper time!!!! Woot-woot! Good luck everyone! Can't wait to get to WDW!!!

I KNOW...so close. :hyper: And thanks!

How fun that you can run with your fiancé! I'm trying to talk my husband into doing one of these races with me...I think he's interested in the Expedition Everest Challenge. Fingers crossed!

Good luck with tomorrow's long run!! Let me know how it goes. :yay:

Week 17: Run #2 (5 miles on the treadmill)
Tuesday, December 18, 2012

10 miles complete/40 miles planned for the week
414.1 miles completed so far in training

WOOHOO!!! No more 5-milers on the treadmill! :banana:

Total time - 50:11 for 5 miles
Average pace - 10:02ish/mile

A couple of random things...

1. It's looking very likely that I am going to have pretty crappy weather for my "Goofy dress rehearsal" this weekend. :( Current forecast:

Thursday: rain/wind...low 27, high 49, 80% chance of rain
Friday: snow shower/wind...low 29, high 35, 40% chance of snow

:eek: :eek: :eek: Not looking forward to that!

WARNING - the next 2 things are just me venting. I think I've done a pretty good job staying positive over the course of training, but we all get crabby once in awhile. :) Apologies if I sound like a jerk.

2. I don't understand people that signed up for the half or full marathon knowing full well what the schedule is (i.e. you need to wake up at an ungodly hour to get to the start on time) and then insist on trying to walk to the start. :confused3 It just seems like a bad idea to me since there are no Disney-approved routes...what if you get lost? What if security turns you away (which I know is super rare, but still - a possibility)? It's really not a big deal to take the bus or monorail (I've taken the bus twice during race weekends and it was fine)...the risk of not making it to the start on time just does not seem worth it to me. :confused3

3. Similarly, I don't understand people that have been looking for last-minute entry spots for the races over the past few weeks. :confused3 Maybe it's hard for me to comprehend because I have known about runDisney for awhile now and know where to look for registration dates and to see how full the races are, but it seems like if running any of the races is so important folks should be a little sharper on when registration opens and how to monitor race capacity.

4. I'm getting annoyed with the threads that are popping up that say something along the lines of "I booked my vacation and just realized the marathon is happening! This is going to mess up my Hollywood Studios day!" I mean, look...the races have been scheduled for over a year and they ALWAYS happen on a weekend in early January. If it's so important for you to have an empty park maybe you should have researched possible activities ahead of time. :mad: Also, the race isn't that disruptive in any of the parks. Maybe you'll have to wait to cross over the race course, and maybe some roads will be closed...that's it. Plus, us runners have been working hard and have paid our entry fees...it's our trip too.

Ahem. Vent over. :o

5. On a lighter note...Will's incoming flight dropped in price, so I was able to re-book it and he now has a $35 credit with Southwest!! :thumbsup2 Love being able to re-book those flights.

6. I chatted with my mom last night and she was briefly considering staying at an off-property timeshare instead of Caribbean Beach. :confused3 Ooooookay. Whatever floats your boat. I understand why people stay off-property but Will and I don't prefer it (mom's text to me was something like "you know, not everyone stays IN Disney" - um yeah, I know :confused3). In this case it was especially tempting for my mom because she would have gotten free lodging at this timeshare. I think this whole thing crumbled pretty quickly though - the owner of the timeshare is her friend's boyfriend who my mom doesn't know super well, so I think she quickly got nervous that everything would fall through. Plus staying off property means no race-day transportation for my brother, so she'd have to drive him to the races. And while I can help them with most trip planning things, driving around property is one thing I am completely clueless on. We never drive around Disney and I don't know what roads are closed for the races, so she'd be on her own. I think she was pretty gung-ho to drive him at first but sort of talked herself out of it during our conversation.

I'd actually read a trip report here where someone briefly stayed at this same place (I think it was DisneyFreak508) and I remember her saying that she and her mom mom were constantly hounded by the staff to become members of the time share. I mentioned that to my mom in passing - not trying to sway her one way or the other, just that this was really the only thing I knew about the place - and was surprised at her reaction. She REALLY didn't like that. :confused3 So I'm pretty sure they're going to stick with CBR. Honestly, they can do whatever they want at this point. I'll admit I'm a bit annoyed that they just want to bag the room after I researched CBR (I've never stayed there) and booked it for them, making sure they got a discount...but whatever. This type of stuff happens every time they come to Disney with me and Will. :confused3 I should probably know to expect it by now.

After this conversation I decided I probably needed to make sure that she and my brother actually DO want to come to the dinners I'd made reservations for, especially the two that are guaranteed with a credit card ('Ohana and Jiko). I wouldn't want to find out last-minute that they weren't interested and then get charged a $20 fee. Good thing I asked - mom was definitely NOT interested in Jiko ("What would I eat there?"). Luckily I was able to call Disney and have that reservation modified so that just Will and I are going. I'll still have dinner with the fam at Via Napoli the night before the half and 'Ohana the night before the full (mom is pretty excited to go back there). They can join us for whatever else, and it sounded like mom was thinking about the two of them grabbing something at Downtown Disney the night after the marathon - Earl of Sandwich or Wolfgang Puck Express or whatever (2 very solid options). Needless to say I'm looking forward to dinner at Jiko with just Will - it's our favorite. :)

Also, mom asked if we wanted to go to Ikea with them on Monday before our flight home leaves. Um...no thanks. I'll spend the remainder of my trip in Disney, thanks.

Sorry that I'm in such a weird mood today. It's time to focus on the positives - NO MORE treadmill 5-milers, I'm a little over 72 hours away from taper (!!!) and my trip is in 22 days!! Woohoo! :woohoo:

Have a good one! :wave:

Continued in Next Post

Week 17: Strength Training
Wednesday, December 19, 2012

No ranting today, just checking in and posting a picture. :o

Strength training was okay, not great today. I felt pretty sluggish and struggled to get through. Ah well. This was my last session with my max number of reps...I certainly seem to be ready to taper.

Updated weather forecast...

Thursday: rain/thunder/wind...low 32, high 48, 90% chance of rain
Friday: snow shower/wind...low 26, high 34, 80% chance of snow

Sooo...worse than what I read yesterday. :mad: I'm actually more nervous for Thursday's forecast (thunder?? :eek:) but in looking at the hourly information it seems possible that if I get out early enough I might beat the more serious rain. :worried: Fingers crossed!

BYEEEEEEEEEEE!

IMG_0137.JPG

Continued in Next Post

Week 17: Run #3 (10-mile out-and-back)
Thursday, December 20, 2012
Weather: low-mid 40s, overcast with occasional wind

20 miles complete/40 miles planned for the week
424.1 miles completed so far in training

Goofy Dress Rehearsal - Day One is complete! :banana:

Splits:

Mile 1 - 10:54
Mile 2 - 11:07
Mile 3 - 11:26 - Gu/walk/water break at the beginning of this mile
Mile 4 - 11:01
Mile 5 - 11:14 - walk/water break at the beginning of this mile
Mile 6 - 10:53
Mile 7 - 11:40 - Gu/walk/water break at the beginning of this mile
Mile 8 - 10:56
Mile 9 - 11:23 - walk/water break at the beginning of this mile
Mile 10 - 11:06

Total time: 1:51:39 for 10 miles
Average pace: 11:10/mile

The fist few miles were a bit windy, and I felt just okay...but the wind didn't stick around and the more I ran, the better I felt. Overall I would say the majority of the run felt effortless...and that's very rare for me. :thumbsup2 It was just very nice...and DRY! I'd been worrying about the rain and managed to get out early enough to beat it. Hooray!

For whatever reason during this run I started to imagine myself running the 5K at Disney, which is the race I've been thinking about the least out of the 3, and I got SO excited. I can't believe Marathon Weekend is almost here! :yay:

My last big hurdle, of course, comes tomorrow. I have 20 miles scheduled and am faced with the following forecast:

Overnight: low of 34 with rain, snow shower and wind...60% chance of precipitation.
Tomorrow: high of 35 with snow and wind...80% chance of snow with 1-3 inches expected.

Not ideal at all, but as long as it's not icy out I'm going to do my best to get this run done. It's the only thing that's standing between me and TAPER!! Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky with the weather 2 days in a row...right? RIGHT?? :crazy2:

Happy Thursday!! :yay:

Continued in Next Post

Great job! :thumbsup2

I am deathly afraid of what tomorrow morning's weather is going to be here in PA. I want to get my 20-miler out of the way so badly so I can finish Christmas stuff this weekend, but it is supposed to snow and have bad winds (today I ran in 30mph winds, and it sucked!).

Sunday is supposed to be nice, but I don't want to push it back that far! :confused3

I just feel like I really need this 20-miler to go well for my self-confidence!

Great job! :thumbsup2

I am deathly afraid of what tomorrow morning's weather is going to be here in PA. I want to get my 20-miler out of the way so badly so I can finish Christmas stuff this weekend, but it is supposed to snow and have bad winds (today I ran in 30mph winds, and it sucked!).

Sunday is supposed to be nice, but I don't want to push it back that far! :confused3

I just feel like I really need this 20-miler to go well for my self-confidence!

Thanks!

Yeah, we are not the only ones dealing with potentially scary weather tomorrow. :eek: As long as it's not icy I'm going to try to get it done. 30 MPH winds do not sound fun...good job getting out there!

I hope you have an awesome 20-miler, can't wait to hear about it!! :cheer2:

Week 17: Run #4 (16 miles completed, 20 miles planned)
Friday, December 21, 2012
Weather: low-mid 30s, steady snow (heavy at times) and 25-35 MPH wind

36 miles complete/40 miles planned for the week
440.1 miles completed so far in training

:sad2:

Well, this isn't the way I wanted my last long long run to go, but I tried my best. :confused3

Splits:

Mile 1 - 11:08
Mile 2 - 11:20
Mile 3 - 11:14
Mile 4 - 11:13
Mile 5 - 12:36
Mile 6 - 12:03
Mile 7 - 11:51
Mile 8 - 11:27
Mile 9 - 12:51
Mile 10 - 11:57
Mile 11 - 12:24
Mile 12 - 13:22
Mile 13 - 16:17
Mile 14 - 13:14
Mile 15 - 14:00
Mile 16 - 12:37

Total time: 3:19:33 for 16 miles
Average pace: 12:28/mile

When I left home it was snowing lightly, but the snow wasn't sticking. That was lucky. The wind was already bad though. The first 5 miles were awful - I was freaking out about the weather and the wind was already making me miserable. After that I changed directions and ran the next 5 miles with the wind at my back. Those ones were fine and I felt really good.

Then I turned around and the wind was hitting me in the face again. I alternated between freaking out/trying not to cry/calming myself down and kept walking to avoid puddles and areas on the sidewalk that looked slick. I have never, ever been so miserable during a run, and the frustrating part is that physically I felt REALLY good. But the weather was defeating me mentally. If Will wasn't at work I would have bailed at mile 10 and called him to come get me...but I was stranded 5 miles from home. So I plugged on, got home at about 15.75 and kept going a bit to get to an even 16. I skipped the ice bath and took a hot bath instead with some bubble bath Will had gotten me from Bath and Body Works months ago. It felt so good I wanted to cry.

So now it's been a few hours. I'm a little disappointed that I didn't finish the entire 20, but if I had kept going I think I would have felt like I was punishing myself. I guess I'm still a little conflicted about it...I THINK I made the right decision, but I still wish I could go into taper knowing that I did what I set out to do. Oh well.

I think this is part of why I like having this little thread of mine so much. I can look back over the past 17 weeks and see that I've only missed one run (the 7-miler in September when I was sick) and have only cut one run (today's 20-miler) short. Overall, that's not too bad. I think I'd feel less guilty about it if this had happened during, say, last weekend's 14-miler instead of during my last long long run. So yeah, definitely still conflicted. I'm sure I'll feel better about it tomorrow. :confused3

And I'm done rambling. Happy weekend, all! :yay:

Continued in Next Post

Ah that sucks! I know how you feel (my 19-miler sucked and I cut it to 18 a few weeks ago) and I was mad at myself too even though it was the right thing to do. I think since you physically felt good, you shouldn't feel guilty! You know you could have easily completed that run if the weather wasn't so bad! I wouldn't have wanted to run in those conditions either!

You did great and are definitely ready for Dopey judging from your training log - even if you did only make it 16 today! That is 16 more than a lot of people would have done in that weather! :thumbsup2

Ah that sucks! I know how you feel (my 19-miler sucked and I cut it to 18 a few weeks ago) and I was mad at myself too even though it was the right thing to do. I think since you physically felt good, you shouldn't feel guilty! You know you could have easily completed that run if the weather wasn't so bad! I wouldn't have wanted to run in those conditions either!

You did great and are definitely ready for Dopey judging from your training log - even if you did only make it 16 today! That is 16 more than a lot of people would have done in that weather! :thumbsup2

The great thing about having a training log is the ability to look back and see everything else that has gone right, despite this one run going wrong...so you're right that I DO feel ready! :thumbsup2 I've made my peace with my not-quite-20-miler...at least I got it 80% of the way done.

So how's taper treating you???.....:cool1:

Week 17: Rest Day
Saturday, December 22, 2012

Let the Christmas festivities begin! :yay:

On Saturday we dropped the monster pup off at doggy camp and made the 2.5-hour drive to my in-laws' house. We had lunch with my husband's grandparents and dinner with my monther- and father-in-law. They loved their gift from us (an iPod nano...they have a new car that is Bluetooth-capable so we thought they could use this a lot for their music) and we got some nice things from them as well. My favorite gift is, oddly enough, a Corian cutting board. I'm getting the itch to upgrade our kitchen a bit and my mother-in-law has SUCH great taste...I love the piece of Corian she picked out and am trying to convince Will that it would look good in the rest of our kitchen. It's not going well. :confused3 :laughing:

Continued in Next Post

Week 17: Rest Day
Sunday, December 23, 2012

Day #2 at the in-laws - we had brunch (YUM!...I love breakfast food) with the family that lives next door. One of the family members was the best man in our wedding and we haven't seen him (or any of the rest of his family) in a LONG time. Very fun.

We drove back home and arrived to an ice box - we'd turned the heat off and it was only 51 degrees here! :eek: We spent the rest of the day cleaning up a bit, picking up the monster pup, and I baked chocolate chip cookies for Christmas. Ahhh....a nice, relaxing day.

Continued in Next Post

Week 18: Run #1 (8-mile out-and-back)
Monday, December 24, 2012
Weather: low-mid 30s and overcast

8 miles completed/29 miles planned for the week
448.1 miles completed in training

:santa: Merry Christmas Eve!! :santa:

IT'S TAPER TIME, BAY-BEEEE!!!!!!! :yay: :yay: :yay:

Taper is that magical time in training where the hard work is done and it's time to rest up before the race. Lots of runners go nuts during this time, but I am expecting to fully embrace the reduction in mileage. I'm also going to try to take full advantage of my days off and avoid the treadmill as much as possible, so the order of the runs will be a bit screwy.

So for this first week my total mileage is being reduced by about 25% (from what was supposed to be 40 miles last week to 29 this week). I'm also starting to break in my new shoes. My old pair went right into the trash after my run on Friday. They definitely served me well - they held up for 492.1 miles! The new pair today definitely felt different...like I was standing on thick foam blocks. Might take a bit of getting used to.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 10:27
Mile 2 - 10:29
Mile 3 - 10:41 - walk/water break at the beginning of this mile
Mile 4 - 10:24
Mile 5 - 10:57 - Gu chomp/walk/water break at the beginning of this mile
Mile 6 - 10:26
Mile 7 - 10:23 - walk/water break at the beginning of this mile
Mile 8 - 9:55

It felt really good to run fast(er) again. The bad thing about this run was that I did a lot of it in the street since our sidewalks are icy. It was fine for the most part, but it's recommended that runners run against traffic and it's a bit unsettling to see cars coming at you so quickly. :eek:

So now it's time for a hot bath before we head to my aunt's house for Christmas Eve dinner. Yay! :woohoo:

Continued in Next Post

Week 18: Run #2 (5-mile loop)
Monday, December 25, 2012
Weather: mid-30s and overcast

13 miles completed/29 miles planned for the week
453.1 miles completed in training

:santa: MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! :santa:

We're off to my mom's for Christmas dinner in about an hour...but I had to get my run in first. :thumbsup2

Splits:

Mile 1 - 10:26
Mile 2 - 10:25
Mile 3 - 10:17
Mile 4 - 10:16
Mile 5 - 9:40

Total time: 51:07 for 5 miles
Average pace: 10:13/mile

A funny thing happened on this run. See that last mile? I was trying to pass an older gentleman and he just would not let me. We ended up running the last mile together and definitely pushed each other. We chatted about races (with him commenting on how I was "putting an old man to shame" and making him run so fast), the town we live in, etc. When we finally split up the guy said, "Merry Christmas...thanks for the a** kicking!" :rotfl2: Kind of fun to run with someone else, since I haven't done it in so long. Maybe I should look into joining the local running group.

Have a good one! :yay:

Continued in Next Post

Joining in! Now going back to read. I'm interested because I'm doing the Princess half this year and hopefully the full marathon next year! Now going back to read!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter