In serious need of help from veterans

busymom72

Earning My Ears
Ok, we've decided to close our eyes and plan a trip to WDW. Not sure how we are going to afford it, just know that if we wait until we can, it will never happen. Keeping my fingers crossed for a good tax return! I'm so excited but sooo overwhelmed with all the choices. We are a family of 5, which is the first problem - should have stopped at 2 kids - family of 4 so much cheaper for hotels! Kids ages are currently 6, 10(can easily pass for 9) & 12. So my first question is this...do we hurry up and plan a trip now with their current ages or wait until value season in Sept/Oct when they will all be a year older. Considering staying at Seralago where kids 12 & under eat free. But I also know that most recommend staying on site for the "Disney" experience. This is probably the only trip we'll ever take to WDW, so it has to be completely memorable but completely on a budget. I would really appreciate words of advice from anyone who may have dealt with these issues. Thanks!

Hi busymum,

I havn't a clue where Seralago is so I'm not much help there :rotfl: but if my memory serves me right I think in most places kids eat free or for next to nothing. You could also go for a buffet breakfast and miss out lunch as the buffets are huge and have some fruit etc for lunch. that way you wouldn't have the expense of lunch.

I also think some accomodation allows 5 to a room.

think your older child might be classed as an adult if you wait but there again the value season would be cheaper so it ight be worht costing it all out.

good and def. go for it.

When you hit a "wall" just go over it, around it or knock it down! If you find you can't stay on site (we're a family of 6 so we have the same problem) then stay off-site! It's better to do that than not go at all. Plus we had a great time staying off site. As long as you aren't relying on the shuttles, you are OK. If you can rent a van, you'll be in good shape.

Decide your "gotta have"s and your constraints (budget and time, etc). Then keep planning.
Good luck. YOu'll find lots of good advice here.

I am not sure of your budget, but there are different levels of onsite hotels to choose from. I suppose you could "forget" to mention that you have more than 2 children when you arrange the hotel.

When you stay onsite you are entitled to the Extra Magic hours and free transportation to and from the parks.

My wife set us up 3 years ago at an onsite and the experience was amazing. When I had gone with my parents years ago it was nice and memorable, but staying onsite was MUCH better.

Resorts
Value = $77 - $131 per night
Moderate = $134 - $209 per night
(Price also depends on time of year you go)

From what I read the Value resorts only accomodate 4 people. One of the Moderate resorts, Disney's Port Orleans accomodates 5.

Welcome to the DIS! I lurked for months before I actually logged on. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made, and helped us really maximize our trip.

If this will be your only trip to Disney, I highly recommend staying onsite. I think the suggestion of Port Orleans Riverside is a great one. We've stayed both off and onsite (my first visit was offsite), and there is just noooo comparison when it comes to staying in the magic mood! There are definitely reasons to consider offsite, but I think you and your family will love being completely submerged in the magic. You are definitely in "the world", and when you take a shuttle/drive offsite you see the traffic, grocery stores, etc. that just too easily remind you of your normal life. Hey, when you're spending this kind of cash - why not completely escape everyday life.

I've been in March, and now September, and have to say I loved both. Of course, it didn't hurt that our September week had no hurricanes due - not one drop of rain the entire week!

Whatever you decide... you're off to a great start by joining this site! This will be the trip of a lifetime. The better prepared you are, the better to deal with the inevitable bumps in the road. Have a great trip!

Another option is to check in to the Fort Wilderness Cabins. They accomodate 6 people. They also have a kitchen that would allow you to cut back on food expenses.

I had several trips offsite, all because of having other people go with us that wouldn't pay to stay onsite. When we finally went without anyone extra we stayed onsite then bought in to DVC to ensure we would never stay offsite again.

Now if the decision meant we weren't able to go if we weren't able to stay onsite then of course we would stay offsite and still have a great time. But there is just something so much more magical when you are staying onsite. Onsite you are completely surrounded be all things Disney.

Another option is to check the DVC Rent Trade Board here on the Dis. There are DVC members that will rent an accomodation for you. With your family you would need a two bedroom villa. This would be sleeping accomodations for 8. You would have a full kitchen and washer & dryer in your room. Here you could also cut back on food expenses. The cheapest to rent through a member would be Old Key West, which is a wonderful resort, then would be Saratoga Springs. absolutely beautiful too. IF you rent for a Sun - Thurs then your expenses would really be cut down. DVC resorts cost members alot more for weekends so that is why the cost would be more. As for going now or waiting for the fall for lower rates, that really doesn't matter. The two older kids are already considered adults at Disney so another birthday iusn't going to matter there.

Hope that helps some. If you have more specific questions I'm sure you will get plenty of answer, opinions, etc.

Oh and don't be surprised if this is not your only trip to Disney. Many people say that but few are actually able to do it. It is VERY addicitve.

Feel free to PM me if you need any help.
Lori

POR will take 5. FtW trailer also. Or you can rent points from a DVC member for a 1 bedrm. :banana: :wizard: :banana:

I do understand what you are saying. Our family went last May/June, and have really thought it was going to be our only time. When we got home we started planning our next trip. We have to postpone it, but we are going this Christmas!
Anyways, we are a family of five, too. (DS-16, DD-12, DD-9) We even took a friend for our DS. We aren't doing that again, but that is a different story. We stayed at a Value Resort and got adjoining rooms. We had the door open the whole time, it was like we were in a suite. Also, Port Orleans Riverside can hold five in a room, and all the deluxe. Also, you can make your plans, make a deposit, and make payments. That is what we are doing this year. Also, being on a budget, you may want to think about doing the dining plan. It took so much off our mind, and you can do character meals,too. I think it is worth the extra money now. All you have to do, buy what you want and have a great time.
Whatever you decide, have a great time! :cool1:

hello,.. and welcome!

I think that there is nothing like staying on site. :cool1:
I have done both and never knew what I was missing until I was grown and had the chance to stay on site. My sister was 13 the first time she stayed on site and her response to me was,.."WOW this really is a WORLD of it's own!" :goodvibes
If you can, I would suggest staying in the "WORLD".
But any choice make, you'll have a great time. Just read all of the info on here and you can't go wrong. ;)
ENJOY!

Hi and welcome. After my 20th trip I now consider myself an "expert" (meant loosely). Having done both, I'd stay on site (definitely). The wisdom of others is sound...Port Orleans Riverside for 5 is OK (the trundle bed isn't bad...I've slept on it myself); the Dolphin (though not Disney is on Disney property and is in the middle between EPCOT and MGM) is a great choice and you can't go wrong with one of the Deluxes (Wilderness Lodge is the cheaper option). I've also stayed at Pop Century and 2 rooms there would be fine. Off site won't save you as much as you think...particularly if you reserve your room with AAA!

What we generally do to help keep costs down is book our hotel through AAA or (if we have annual passes) use our pass to get a room discount; eat breakfast in our room most mornings (we usually do 1 character breakfast while there), bring in bottles of water (Disney is fine with that) and usually a couple of packs of raisins etc for snacks, eat counter-service at lunch (portions are big and if you aren't a big eater, you can easily "split" things) and then we eat a "sit-down" dinner each evening at a park. Our last trip (over Christmas -- peak holiday prices -- for 5 -- 2 adults a 16 yo, a 9 yo and a 7 yo) cost $4,300 including hotel, airfare, transportation, and meals for 10 days/9 nights. Keep in mind -- that's Christmas to just past New Year's when hotels and flights are VERY expensive!

When we go this summer for a week, our budget is MUCH less. Generally, we plan for meals to cost about $100 to $150 per day for the 5 of us (not counting breakfast) and we're generally OK.

PM me if I can help you further.

Since this is your first trip and you say probably your only trip, you should stay on-site. We've done both but have been many times and can navigate the area pretty well. If you're not familiar w/ the area, you could get lost and loose valuable park time that way!!! Plus any savings you get on a room, you have to put right back in for parking. Are you a AAA member? If so, try to get the AAA rate and book now. It's never too early to book. Go in value season if you can. We did this one year and got to Allstar rooms for less than what it would have cost for us to camp at FW and the gas expense to tow our camper. You might be surprised at the deals you can get! Also, I say go all out on your length of days. If you look at the price chart, you only and a $1 or $2 for each day you add on after 5 (something like that) so I would go 7 or 8 days if I could since you say you won't be going back. You can't beat those last few days with park entry at only a couple of dollars each!!! And check out the meal plans. We have never done this as we were AP holders last year and they didn't have the MYW before that. When we go back I plan on doing MYW with dining. You can go to mousesavers.com to check out when value season starts and get an idea of the rates.

Whatever you do, plan it well, but don't over plan. My only advice is to expect that it won't be perfect. When people want perfection, the smallest glitches ruin the experience. Remember, the magic will take care of the rest.

Oh, and don't worry about the "resort" experience. If you can get a couple of more days by staying at the Best Western, then go for the longer trip.

Bills you can worry about later.

I sent you a PM, it has suggestions about Fort Wilderness.

goalie5hole said:
Stay at the ASMo and only tell them you have 2 children with you.

I agree with this, If you can cram all of you into 2 doulbe sized beds, I say go for it! They would never know. And if its the only way you can afford to stay onsite..which personally, we scraped to afford too, and was SUCH a memorable experience! Really it was. We are hooked!

Good Luck!

If you're on a budget check out mousesavers.com to start with. I know not everyone feels this way but I would definately get a quote from a Disney Travel Agent. It won't cost you anything and you might just be pleasantly surprised. I've done it both ways, planned myself and gone with Small World Travel. They have ALWAYS gotten me the better rate. Also, definitely stay on site. You can't beat the whole Disney experience. :cool1:

I'm leaving in 7 days for our 1st visit onsite so I'll know soon whether it's worth it for our family of 5 but I wanted to mention that the problem with telling them you have only 2 kids, is the other kids doesn't get resort ID and can't do EMH (morning or evening). Also, having researched rooms I was hesitant I could fit my family of me, DH, DD 6, DS 4 and DS 2 1/2 in a Value even though I'd be allowed since my DS 2 1/2 doesn't count as a person to Disney yet :goodvibes

We decided on POR Riverside with the trundle as it's much cheaper than Fort Wilderness Cabins ($139 vs $239 per night). The cabins sound lovely and I might have spent the money but they also sounded like a lot of walking if you didn't have a car or you would need to rent a golf cart type thing which cost even more $$$.

We're booked our package through AAA and are doing the Dining Plan so that our food costs are controlled and prepaid. For our family (keep in mind that DS 2 1/2 is free and the other 2 are children for tickets and meal plan) we are paying $2100 for 7 dayts 6 nights at POR, 7 day Park Hopper with Water Fun and the Dining Plan. I think it's a great price considering it's Disney World. I could have made it cheaper by staying off-site, etc but like you it's probably our only big trip to Disney and we wanted it to be perfect and affordable.

Have fun planning - :disrocks:

WDWfor5 said:
but like you it's probably our only big trip to Disney and we wanted it to be perfect and affordable.

Don't be surprised if this is not the case. Few are actually able to go only once! :earboy2:

No, your planned first trip to WDW will NOT be your only visit. Once you experience the magic of Disney, you will be planning your next trip ASAP. In making your plans, banish ANY thought of staying outside the Disney Resort. You will be very glad you spent the extra dollars to stay on Disney property. I've been outside, and there's simply no comparsion.

On past visits to WDW I have stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, BoardWalk Inn, the Contemporary, the Polynesian, Port Orleans Riverside, Port Orleans French Quarter, and the Institute. Of these I would recommend Port Orleans French Quarter for your family.

As for making detailed plans for your visit, I would highly recommend that you stop at your local bookstore for a copy of "THE ONOFFICIAL GUIDE TO WALT DISNEY WORLD 2006 edition," by Bob Schlinger. Study it well. For example, when visiting the parks see Epoct first, Animal Kingdom next, Disney-MGM Studios next, and finish up with the Magic Kingdom. There's a good reason for this, as explained in the guide book.

I've been a frequent visitor to WDW over the years, and am a Florida resident.

I just wanted to thank everyone soooo much for the time you have taken to respond to my question. Right now I'm leaning toward connecting rooms at the POP(is it much more expensive than the all-star resorts?) I joined AAA yesterday because I was getting the opinion that the discount was really worth it.(Besides my husband is on the road all week for work). I'm still a little confused about the dining plan. Everybody seems to disagree about it saving money or not. But...I really like the idea of having our meals paid for in advance because I, like another poster, would tend to order the cheapest thing on the menu and encourage my kids to share. It will be pricey though, at around $150/day. Back to my question about booking with AAA and the dining plan. I've heard its cheaper to book everything separately, but I"ve also heard that you have to get the dining plan with a package. Should I just throw up my hands and let a AAA travel agent or "Small World Vacations" do all the research for me? And what happens if, OMG like manna from heaven, they would come out with a free dining plan again?

I have to forge ahead with this planning even though my DH has said to quit talking about it, because we don't know how the tax refund is going to turn out. Everytime the kids and I start talking about it, we have gotten into the habit of starting each sentence with "If we go..." This might be too much info, but we just refinanced our mortgage to pay off credit cards and my Dh is absolutely adamant that we not charge this vacation.(He's the practical one...I'm the dreamer!) But 2 weeks ago the father of one of my son's classmates passed away without warning at the age of 37! I have this horrible feeling that if we don't do this now...that tomorrow isn't guaranteed, you know? Am I just off my rocker to be planning a vacation we really can't afford?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter