In October, why the gap in dates? Or who/what is going on then?

sharonlouisiana

Earning My Ears
I noticed that most of the special offers end October 2....and then there is another time from 22-29....so is there something going on between October2 and 22?

Are there some big groups there, or excess crowds, etc? It just seems like they purposeful exclude the middle of October.

The reason I ask is that we were originally booked from October 22-29....and we are planning on moving the trip up into the end of September/early of October...and need to know if we are going to be going HEAD FIRST into massive crowds or something....

Thank you for any advice!:wizard:

Columbus Day weekend Oct 8-11 and Oct-Nov is the Food & Wine Festival @ Epcot.

My next door neighbor just received a postcard/pin today for free dining that includes your October dates so maybe you have one coming too?? I didn't get it myself but you never know....you could call and ask if you have it attached to your name :).

more and more schools are doing a 1 week fall break during these weeks in oct., so lots of families go then.

Ok...fall break...makes sense.

Yep, we booked during that one odd FD week at end of october....so no need to wait for pin card.

ok...just making sure ther wasn't some massive tour group I don't know about....

more and more schools are doing a 1 week fall break during these weeks in oct., so lots of families go then.

The DVC CM told me this as well... I had never heard of this before. Of course it has to be the week we always go for our anniversary. This is the first year I've had trouble even getting a reservation with DVC for these days (10/9 -12) so now I hope for some kind of discounts as the dates get closer.

The DVC CM told me this as well... I had never heard of this before. Of course it has to be the week we always go for our anniversary. This is the first year I've had trouble even getting a reservation with DVC for these days (10/9 -12) so now I hope for some kind of discounts as the dates get closer.

I grew up in rural Idaho, and we had what was called "harvest break". They still have it, just because many farmers have to get their crops in during a short period of time and have no choice but to pull their teens out to help. This break was usually in early October.

I know that most school districts don't have that, so I was surprised when we moved to a suburb of Dallas and they had a fall break near the same time. It wasn't a full week, just a Monday and Tuesday.

I love fall break. It's a cooler time to go to Disney, and the kids don't have to miss so much school.

My boss's wife is a Dentist and there is a HUGE ADA conference there the one week for the blackout. That may have something to do with it?:confused3

We are one of the many w/ the full week Fall Break. A few years back we even had 2 wks Fall Break when they tried the year round calendar thing and that just didn't work. We did not need even close to that time. For many yrs it was a Thur. & Fri. of one week and the complete next week off. I am a teacher and do enjoy this time off. It's great to take vacation :).

There are also a great number of UK schools that have fall break in Oct.

I looked at the ESPN WWoS website and there are activities/sporting event/playoff scheduled for the entire month of October, w/some overlapping. Not sure how this might be impacting the resorts since I don't know the participation level, but this could be one factor.

http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/events/find/

There are often alot of conferences going on in October also. Combined with F&W and MNSSHP, October has become a popular time of year.

We were there last year at the beginning of October. There were no heavy crowds. My guess is that the Wine and Food Festival is going on and that is the reason for the gap. I know this year we are going Sept 30-Oct 9 and the cost was much higher this year than last.

My boss's wife is a Dentist and there is a HUGE ADA conference there the one week for the blackout. That may have something to do with it?:confused3

My DH is a dentist and we are joining him for the ADA conference in Orlando (which runs over Columbus Day weekend). POFQ and Beach Club were the only two Disney resorts offering housing for conference attendees. The rest of the conference-approved hotels are throughout Orlando and Universal (and there is a looong list of choices).

Also, Touring Plans predicts crowds at approximately 5's and below the week of Columbus Day (the conference ends that Tues), so I'm hoping it won't be terribly crowded. Not sure why dates after Oct 2 have been largely blacked out.

Wondering whether the rumored discounts for tomorrow will include most of these previously blacked-out dates...?

My DH is a dentist and we are joining him for the ADA conference in Orlando (which runs over Columbus Day weekend). POFQ and Beach Club were the only two Disney resorts offering housing for conference attendees. The rest of the conference-approved hotels are throughout Orlando and Universal (and there is a looong list of choices).

Also, Touring Plans predicts crowds at approximately 5's and below the week of Columbus Day (the conference ends that Tues), so I'm hoping it won't be terribly crowded. Not sure why dates after Oct 2 have been largely blacked out.

Wondering whether the rumored discounts for tomorrow will include most of these previously blacked-out dates...?

Thanks for the Touring Plan predicts. I purchased the book but have so far been too tight to pay for the extra to see way far in the future for crowd predictions :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter