In need of amtrak information

MLB0622

Earning My Ears
Anyone ever taken amtrak to Orlando? I would like to get some basic information about the train. How close are the train stations to Disney? How was it to travel on the train? What is the best way to get from the station to the resorts, taxi ? towncar? rental car?
All responses would be really appreciated!!
Thank you DISers

:goodvibes

Here is a good link ---- http://www.mousesavers.com/train.html

We traveled by Amtrak once and used the Orlando station. You can catch a Mears shuttle there or rent a car. We used Mears and it worked out well. I do not know if towncar service will do pick-up there; it sure does not hurt to ask. The Kissimmee station is rather basic and does not offer as many transport options.

We used Amtrak because of a great two-for-one deal during spring break, which was too good to pass up. We traveled coach, not wanting to spend the extra $$$ for a sleeping berth. The cars are clean and the seats are very comfortable. There is plenty of leg room and the chairs recline slightly. It is possible to sleep fairly comfortably. There is a dining car on each train although we opted to eat before at the station before we left and we carried some snacks with us. We were lucky in that the conductor on our outbound train helped us with our bags and we were able to stow them right in back of our seats. Note that this was pre-9/11, so I am not sure what the procedures are now. We had a number of little children in our car, but they were well-behaved and quiet (for kids! ;)

From Philadelphia to Orlando there were many, many stops. That can be a little annoying, but you get used to it. Train travel is slow and you will undoubtedly be behind schedule, so don't stress over it. We made good time on our way to Orlando, but on the trip home the train was over-crowded (remember, it was spring break :eek: ) and hours behind schedule. Freight trains have the right-of-way, so Amtrak can play havoc with your schedule. I would do it again, but not at that time of year. It was just too crowded everywhere for me. But the price was certainly attractive. Bring some music, a good book, some snacks, maybe a covering for your eyes to catch some shut-eye, a small blanket and dress comfortably.

Anyone ever taken amtrak to Orlando? I would like to get some basic information about the train. How close are the train stations to Disney? How was it to travel on the train? What is the best way to get from the station to the resorts, taxi ? towncar? rental car?
All responses would be really appreciated!!
Thank you DISers

:goodvibes

We have made this trip 4 times from Philly. I would suggest getting of in Kissimmee,as it is a nicer area than Orlando. You will need to take a taxi or shuttle from Amtrak to Disney for about $40 each way.We use a company that serves train stations(some do not) www.seajactransportaion.com

I wouold not rent a car, as all transportation around Disney parks is free and fairly easy.
There are three methods of train travel..coach,sleepers and the Auto Train.

Coach is the least expensive option. Sleepers range in price and include all meals.
The trip from Philly takes abot 23 hours. We usually leave philly,fall asleep in NC and wake up in Florida...
we have always booked sleepers,but this year we are trying coach. My kids love the train, and consider it part of the trip experience.

The auto train runs from Lorton Virigina to Sanford Florida. Your car is placed on the train and you you drive to Dismey in about 1 hours time.

Also remember that train pricing is tiered,based on availablity. As the train fils up, the prices increase,so generally the earlier you book, the cheaper it is.

Fell free to contact me should you need additional information.

Can you check the spelling on the link for transportation? I tried it, it didn't seem to work for me. We're going down during the holiday season, and I want to make sure that I have transportation all lined up before I get there.-Cindy

Can you check the spelling on the link for transportation? I tried it, it didn't seem to work for me. We're going down during the holiday season, and I want to make sure that I have transportation all lined up before I get there.-Cindy

Sorry, here ya go..tell Santo , Bill from NJ referred you..He (Santo) is the owner and is originally from NJ not too far from where I live.. We have used him several times,and he has provded great customer service and communcation at reasonable prices.

http://www.sejactransportation.com/sejac_2_002.htm

Here is some interesting information regarding Amtrak travel. As the price of fuel is impacting flying and driving, this may be an option to some folks. We are taking the train from Philadelphia To Miami in August, and have made the trip 4 other times to Orlando/Kissimmee.

Below are some current Amtrak Discount codes...

Amtrak operates on a strict fare bucket system. Coach fares are divided up into (IIRC) (4) buckets,and sleepers into (5). When the train is empty, the seats are sold at the lowest fare bucket. When all of the seats in that fare bucket have been sold, the system will sell you a ticket at the next fare bucket's price, and so on until the train sells out. Amtrak does not do like the airlines do and have dozens of different fares on sale for a given train, some of which are only for advanced purchase and some of which are for last-minute walk-ups or are flexible or anything like that.

So, if 95% of the seats are sold on a given train six months out, then you will be paying the highest fare bucket even if you book 5.5 months out. Conversely, if the train is practically empty an hour before departure, then even if you buy your ticket 45 minutes before the train departs, you will pay the lowest fare bucket for that train. Therefore, there is no way to predict what your last-minute, walk-up fare will be.

However, the spread between the lowest bucket and the highest bucket isn't as great as the airlines, where the last-minute full flex fare might be ten times the price of the web special being sold three months earlier. I think someone mentioned around here earlier that the highest fare bucket is roughly double the price of the lowest bucket. Given how economical train travel is, that's really not that bad.

There are three caveats to this simple system: promo codes, sleepers, and weekly specials. Promo codes require that you book at least three days in advance, but the fare buckets are still the same. (That's why you see us encouraging people to book sooner rather than later, even if they can't find a promo code, since the fares might go up more than the promo code will save.) Sleepers work on a similar system, except only on (IIRC) four buckets. (When you book a sleeper, you're really booking two things--a rail fare and an accommodation charge--and, nicely, on a sleeper ticket, you automatically pay the lowest rail fare bucket even if the train is completely sold out, although your accommodation charge would likely be through the roof on a sold-out train...)

The last caveat--weekly specials--might actually really help you with what you're looking for. They are semi-last-minute deals anywhere from 50-90% off (they post them every Tuesday, I think, for the following week). I don't know how often Amtrak files weekly specials from IND (you're a little limited by really only having one train a day through there, IIRC), but if you find a good deal out of CHI, all you'd need to do is book a (hopefully relatively cheap) ticket to CHI and then you could find yourself in New Orleans or Phoenix or Los Angeles or something for a really good price. (Alternatively, if the weekly special is out of WAS or NYP, you can ride the Cardinal directly from IND, but it only operates three days a week, and the regular fare from IND to those east coast cities probably isn't the cheapest.) Weekly specials are linked in the first post on this thread.

Assuming you don't find any weekly specials that work, there really aren't any routes that are specifically cheap. Due to the way Amtrak's fare system works, unlike the airlines, you won't find smoking deals on certain routes or to certain destinations that are significantly cheaper than other routes and other destinations (with the exception of the weekly specials mentioned above).

Most promotions and discounts are not applicable during high-demand periods. The following dates of travel are excluded from the offers below unless otherwise stated: December 14, 2007 - January 2, 2008; January 18-21, 2008; February 15-18, 2008; March 20-24, 2008.

National Promotions

Seniors - 15% off
Amtrak travelers 62 years of age and over receive a 15% discount on the applicable adult rail fare on most Amtrak trains.

Student Advantage - 15% off
College students can purchase the Student Advantage cards to receive discounts at hundreds of retailers, including a 15% discount on Amtrak travel and Amtrak Express shipping. Amtrak reservations must be made at least three days in advance to receive discount. http://www.studentadvantage.com/disc...rd/pjp?id=9191

International Student Identification Card - 15% off
Students holding an International Student Identification Card will receive 15% off the rail fare on most routes. Must present ISIC and school ID card to qualify for discount. Excludes all Acela Express and Metroliner services. Reservations must be made at least three days in advance. Visit
http://www.myisic.com/

Veteran's Advantage - 15% off Unlike Student Advantage, you really do have to be a veteran for this one. http://www.veteransadvantage.com/par...amtrak-50.html

AAA - 10% off
American Automobile Association members save 10% off adult rail fares. Three day advance reservation required.

Military Discount - 10% off
Active duty US military personnel, along with their spouses and their dependents, are eligible to receive a 10% discount off most Amtrak rail fares in the US, including travel on the Auto Train.

National Association of Railroad Passengers 10% discount - Join NARP, support Amtrak and receive a 10% discount on most rail fares! http://www.narprail.org/cms/index.php/main/discount/

Weekly Specials and Hot Deals
Amtrak posts special, online-only rail fares each week. Fares are typically good for travel to/from any two stations located between the listed origin and destination stations. Fares are always listed for one-way travel only. The Hot Deals page lists other promotions underway.

Weekly Specials
Hot Deals!

Northeast Routes

V209 - 20% off the Vermonter and Ethan Allen
Save 20% off the lowest available Adult railfare when traveling in Vermont. Valid for purchase through October 28, 2008 and travel through October 31, 2008.
V256 - 50% off companion to/from Wilmington
One companion rides for half price to Wilmington, DE through December 13, 2008. Tickets must be purchased by December 10, 2008. Standard rules and blackout dates apply!

V454 - 50% off companion to/from Philadelphia
One companion rides for half price to/from Philadelphia, PA through December 13, 2008. Tickets must be purchased by December 10, 2008. Bookable on Amtrak.com. Standard rules and blackout dates apply.

V464 - 20% off in New York State
"I Love New York!" - 20% discount off adult tickets when traveling on New York State trains including the Adirondack and Montrealer. Not valid on Northeast Corridor and Maple Leaf services. Valid for travel through September, 2008. Three day advance purchase required. Blackout dates and capacity controls may apply. Discount cannot be booked on Amtrak.com.
V645 - Buy One, Get One Free on the Downeaster
Buy one adult ticket and get one free on the Downeaster through June 1, 2008. Three day advance purchase required. Blackout dates apply. Valid only on trains 681, 683, 686, 688, 691, 693 and 694. Boston Globe Travel Show.

V722 - 50% off companion to/from BWI
One companion rides for half price to/from BWI through December 13, 2008. Tickets must be purchased by December 10, 2008. Standard rules and blackout dates apply.

V731 - Save 20% to/from Kingston, Providence and Westerly, RI
Save 20% off the lowest available railfare when traveling to/from Kingston, Providence and Westerly, RI. Tickets must be purchased by December 9, 2008 for travel through December 12, 2008. Standard rules and blackout dates apply. Must be booked via 1-800-USA-RAIL.

V828 - Half-off companion to/from Baltimore
One companion rides for half price to/from Baltimore now through December 13, 2008. Tickets must be purchased by December 10, 2008. Standard rules and blackout dates apply.

V856 - 20% off to/from Boston
Receive a 20% discount on the lowest available railfare for travel to Boston on Amtrak Regional services. Three day advance purchase required. Blackout dates and capacity restrictions apply.
V863 - 50% off companion to/from Newark
One companion rides for half price to/from Newark, NJ through December 13, 2008. Tickets must be purchased by December 10, 2008. Standard rules and blackout dates apply.
Southern Routes

H749 - Kids Ride Free on Auto Train
Families traveling in First Class Sleeping Accommodations can bring the kids along for free on Auto Train this summer. Up to two children ride free with each paying adult. Tickets must be booked by June 6 for travel June 1, 2008 through September 30, 2008. Blackout dates may apply. Seven day advance purchase required.
V673 - 20% off Florida
Order a FREE Orlando Magicard and save 20% off rail fare to/from all Central Florida stations on Auto Train and the Silver Service. Cannot be booked via Amtrak.com. Must call 1-800-USA-RAIL to book. Some restrictions apply.
http://www.orlandoinfo.com/magicard/...ategory&cid=12

V640 & V644 - 15% discount to/from Kissimmee or Miami
Take 15% off the lowest available railfare when traveling on the Silver Service to/from Kissimmee or Miami. No advance purchase required. Valid for travel through April 30, 2008 on trains 91, 92, 97 and 98. For travel to Kissimmee, use code V640 and for Miami use V644. Blackout dates apply.
Midwestern Routes

H766 - Kids ride Free on the Hiawathas
Two children travel free with each adult on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from June 1, 2008 through August 31, 2008. Blackout date applies: August 29, 2008. Discounts do not apply to the purchased adult ticket.
V665 - 50% off Companions in Missouri
Take 50% off a companion railfare when traveling between Kansas City, St. Louis and any stops in between. Valid for travel through June 15, 2008. Three day advance purchase and blackout dates apply. Western Long Haul Routes

Save 10% on the Empire Builder
Book a room at the Glacier Park Lodge and receive 10% off the Empire Builder railfare when booked together through the Glacier Park reservation line. Special will end without notice and will no longer be available once the web page is pulled.

Northwestern Routes

See Guest Rewards section for a Cascades promotion.

H750 - Free Companion on Cascades
Companions travel free through May 23, 2008 on the Cascades. Blackout dates apply. Not valid when traveling in Business Class. Discount may not be available on all trains and excludes Thruway 7000-8999 services
V777 - 25% Off Cascades
Save 25% off any adult, senior or disabled rail fare on the Cascades. Valid for purchase and travel through May 16, 2008 on Cascades and most related Thruway bus services. Blackout dates apply. Not valid when traveling in Business Class. Discount may not be available on all trains and excludes Thruway 7000-8999 services.
Southwestern Routes

H752 - 20% off Surfliner and San Joaquins
Traveling to/from any stations in Santa Barbara County? Save 20% off the lowest available railfare with H752. Tickets must be booked by December 8, 2008 and travel completed by December 11, 2008. Three day advance purchase and blackout dates apply. Valid for travel to/from Santa Barbara, Goleta, Carpinteria, Solvang, Buellton, Lompoc, Surf, Guadalupe and Santa Maria

H767 - Kids ride Free to San Diego
Up to two children travel free with each full-fare adult ticket to and from San Diego. Valid for sale and travel through May 31, 2008. Valid for coach class on the Pacific Surfliners and Amtrak Thruway bus service. Excludes Thruway 7000-8999 services.

Train Status Statistics
Use the following site to track up to four weeks of a particular train's on-time performance at a particular station. Very useful tool to guesstimate how your train will run.

http://www.amtrakdelays.com/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter