In need of a new computer...WWYB?

UGAFan0829

DIS Veteran
I have a HP desktop that's been great for the past 5 or 6 years. Not only is it time to update, but I think it's seen it's better days as far as performance. The question I have is this--Should I go with another PC/Desktop, or a Laptop? I've always had a PC and use one at work as well, so it's what I'm most comfortable with. But I am certainly not opposed to a Laptop, either. My only concern is whether a Laptop will be able to handle and do all the things a PC can/does. I take TONS of pictures, so I'm constantly uploading and burning photos to CD's. As you can imagine, I use the web a TON...mostly for Facebook and things like that, but for a lot of other things as well (online shopping, etc.) So my question is, which one should I go with? Will the Laptop be able to handle all the things I mentioned? I know one plus of a laptop is that it's mobile so I can take it with me when we travel. Any advice or input is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!:)

Will the Laptop be able to handle all the things I mentioned? I know one plus of a laptop is that it's mobile so I can take it with me when we travel. Any advice or input is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!:)

A new laptop should outshine a 5-6 year old desktop at just about anything you can throw at it. As the last poster said, as long as it has comparable specs to the desktop, there should be no issues.

As an example, QVC has a laptop TSV today. It has a dual core processor with 4GB of RAM & a 640GB hard drive for under $530. Not a bad deal, really.

i recently purchased a standard-size toshiba laptop with what seems to be all the necessary bells and whistles for about $350 new on ebay, exceptional value, as i read and now have found. :)

I have a HP desktop that's been great for the past 5 or 6 years. Not only is it time to update, but I think it's seen it's better days as far as performance. The question I have is this--Should I go with another PC/Desktop, or a Laptop? I've always had a PC and use one at work as well, so it's what I'm most comfortable with. But I am certainly not opposed to a Laptop, either. My only concern is whether a Laptop will be able to handle and do all the things a PC can/does. I take TONS of pictures, so I'm constantly uploading and burning photos to CD's. As you can imagine, I use the web a TON...mostly for Facebook and things like that, but for a lot of other things as well (online shopping, etc.) So my question is, which one should I go with? Will the Laptop be able to handle all the things I mentioned? I know one plus of a laptop is that it's mobile so I can take it with me when we travel. Any advice or input is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!:)

Although we still have a desktop for my children, we have a laptop for DH and myself. Ours just broke (motherboard) and it was actually cheaper to get a new laptop than fix it. I just got the lap top 30 minutes ago and was going to start a post about the deal I got.

HP laptop (I download my pics to a thumb drive/AMD E-Series Processor/15.6' Display/3GB Memory $329.99. Then, because it was an HP, I could get hte HP touchpad (which I have been looking everywhere for) for $149. Both of these came with a free 8x8 photobook at Shutterfly. The laptop is for the home, the Touchpad for my DH and I will give each grandparent a photobook for Christmas. So excited!

I would also consider ebay. There are tons of small start ups that sell laptops on ebay and they drop ship the computer to you directly from the manufacturer. They have nothing to do with it only take your order and place it for you with the manufacturer. The only catch...if there is something wrong with it you have to send it back to the manufacturer or find a warranty shop in your area. I have bought quite a couple laptops this way but when i get a desktop i just buy a parts kit from newegg and put it together myself. Don't think i save any money doing it this way but is so much more fun to put it together yourself plus you can get exactly what you want. Newegg also has daily sales and sometimes they have computers for a good price. I would swing buy their website (newegg.com) and sign up for their sales emails. Lastly, keep an eye on the weekend sale papers. The office supply stores regularly run quite good sales on computers plus walmart does have good prices but they tend to also have older models. As far as buying...anything with 4 gigs of memory or more. That will push you into at least mid range performance and a 64bit version of win 7. The more memory the higher end the machine. If you don't plan to play games on it, it is not necessary to get a high end machine. Just doing internet stuff, office and pictures is not taxing for a modern computer. You may also consider just taking your current computer and reinstalling the operating system. By cleaning out the machine and doing a fresh install you can seriously speed up a computer.... good luck, happy hunting. :)

if you get a laptop with comparable specs to a desktop, it makes no difference

I don't agree. According to my favorite geeky guy, a laptop will not typically last as long as a desktop. If a desktop is all you really need, I would get one of those.

At work, I use a laptop but have a docking station and a full size keyboard and monitor. I like that much better than actually trying to type on the laptop.

Sheila

I don't agree. According to my favorite geeky guy, a laptop will not typically last as long as a desktop. If a desktop is all you really need, I would get one of those.

At work, I use a laptop but have a docking station and a full size keyboard and monitor. I like that much better than actually trying to type on the laptop.

Sheila

I'm not sure I agree that a desktop lasts longer. Even if it does, how long will you use a computer before it becomes outdated? It doesn't have to last 10 years.

I have a 17" Dell Studio laptop, which replaced a desktop Dell Dimensions. It's going strong after 3 years and has a full sized, comfortable keyboard. I can't see getting a desktop ever again.

Sheila

My laptop will be four years old in April and I am only now thinking about replacing it late next year. It will probably end up being 5 years old before I bother because I'm lazy about that sort of thing. If you're the type to buy a desktop and replace individual components, you might be better off buying a desktop, but if you buy a higher end laptop (Mine was $899 in 2008) it will last quite some time.

(I will say that my husband's 5 year old Dell is literally falling apart, and we've had to have almost everything in it replaced under the small business warranty. We will never buy another Dell. It was more expensive than mine, and has had the hinges replaced twice, the keyboard replaced, the motherboard, the hard drive - I swear, there's nothing left that's original except the case - and we had to pay $200 a year for that small business warranty.) When we go shopping tonight we will NOT be looking at a Dell. OH, and we had to get new power cords under the warranty six times before we broke down and bought an aftermarket power cord, because the Dell cords would crap out every six months. (He takes his lap top back and forth to work with him, and it just could not handle the HORROR of having to put the cord in his computer bag every day.)

I'm not sure I agree that a desktop lasts longer. Even if it does, how long will you use a computer before it becomes outdated? It doesn't have to last 10 years.

I think this is a critical point that a lot of people miss. The ability of a computer to run the latest OS and software is typically eclipsed long before the actual hardware dies, on average. And, to be clear, this is not limited to just Windows or Mac. In theory, Win 7 can run on hardware that's about 8-9 years old, but for decent performance, about 5-6 years back is about as far as I'd take it. On the MacOS side, running Lion or even just Snow Leopard, you have an event horizon of 5.5 years on the age of your hardware.

Anyway, just echoing your point... software obsolescence sets in long before most hardware gives up the ghost.

I would also consider ebay. There are tons of small start ups that sell laptops on ebay and they drop ship the computer to you directly from the manufacturer. They have nothing to do with it only take your order and place it for you with the manufacturer. The only catch...if there is something wrong with it you have to send it back to the manufacturer or find a warranty shop in your area. I have bought quite a couple laptops this way but when i get a desktop i just buy a parts kit from newegg and put it together myself. Don't think i save any money doing it this way but is so much more fun to put it together yourself plus you can get exactly what you want. Newegg also has daily sales and sometimes they have computers for a good price. I would swing buy their website (newegg.com) and sign up for their sales emails. Lastly, keep an eye on the weekend sale papers. The office supply stores regularly run quite good sales on computers plus walmart does have good prices but they tend to also have older models.
I disagree with every point above except buying a PC from NewEgg.com.

Using eBay to buy a computer is a great way to get yourself screwed... by the seller, by PayPal, or by eBay itself. I can't fathom why any sane person would ever use eBay in the state it's in now. It's practically purpose-built for scammers now.

Building a PC yourself is not something I would recommend to anyone who doesn't even know if they want a desktop or laptop... such a person is 99% likely not to know what the hell they are doing, if they can't even decide what form factor to embrace.

Likewise, buying a computer from an "office supply" or WalMart store is a wonderful way to get screwed over as well.

This is just bad advice all around.

OP, decide what form factor you want, and then go to CostCo, or buy it from CostCo online.

This...they beat every other laptop in every category in the latest consumer reports. If you are going to get a laptop get a mac. I am writing this on my 6 year old macbook, while doing 2 downloads, and surfing a bunch of other things.

You may however, not be a Mac person at all. Understandable. If you buy a $330 laptop...expect a $330 laptop. The cheap laptops are just that, cheap. They will get you through 18-24 months , and you will be looking for a new one because repair will be more expensive.

A good laptop can replace a desktop, but a cheap laptop does not replace a desktop.

Although we still have a desktop for my children, we have a laptop for DH and myself. Ours just broke (motherboard) and it was actually cheaper to get a new laptop than fix it. I just got the lap top 30 minutes ago and was going to start a post about the deal I got.

HP laptop (I download my pics to a thumb drive/AMD E-Series Processor/15.6' Display/3GB Memory $329.99. Then, because it was an HP, I could get hte HP touchpad (which I have been looking everywhere for) for $149. Both of these came with a free 8x8 photobook at Shutterfly. The laptop is for the home, the Touchpad for my DH and I will give each grandparent a photobook for Christmas. So excited!

ccgirl, where did you find this deal?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter