In light of the recent terror attack in Orlando, I think Disney's security system is not good enough

As others have said, they will always find ways to get in (who knows what kind of security CMs or suppliers have to go through, usually employees do not have the same security as guests/customers).

But even if they up the security to a level of your liking, you will probably get they will do what they did in Brussels. It was an airport attack, but before security, in the public area. More security will cause long lines and there only has to be one insane person who stands among these crowds, waiting to get into the Magic Kingdom and sets off a bomb. Then there is no use in having the security at the gates at all. There will always be some area where it is possible to do a lot of damage.

What about the security at the hotels? There it would be even easier.
Also the people in the VIP tours? If you are picked up at your hotel and brought to a backstage access to the park, is there some kind of security there?

Let's all hope this cutting edge security technology turns out to be more reliable than their information technology.

I would bet it is. No on dies (or more to the bottom line, brings a lawsuit) if you can't check wait times on your phone.

Stacy

Why does a terrorist have to actually get into the park? There are hundreds of people outside the park before rope drop and could carry out their attack at the gates. The brussels airport attack happened outside of the secure area and the same could happen at disney. No need to smuggle a weapon into the park...security stops and check points are sometimes there for a false sense of security.

yes I heard that but that doesnt deal with the fact that my family and I have barely ever been searched well enough and we could have smuggled anything we wanted into the parks.

You want to be searched to feel safer? I will bet you a buck you were "searched" long before you even got to that little table. If you wee a threat you would have been stopped.

You are clearly only taking into account the security you can see. Disney's security runs far deeper than the bag searching at the park gates.

Exactly. I prefer to rely on the "eyes" I do not see than the ones who are at the gates slowing down the crowds entering the parks.

How am I supposed to feel when disney rarely every really searches me. How do they know if I'm a bad guy or not??

You seem to need assurance that you are safe by having a physical search. You will probably get your wish soon enough, but I wish that was not the case. If Disney was a soft target the terrorist would have hit there. Anywhere there. But no....he went elsewhere. I do not need to know what the behind the scenes security measures are to know that they are in place and that they are working. I feel much safer in any WDW theme park than I do in a mall or concert, although I admit I am not one to worry much. I figure that if I am in the wrong place at the wrong time, what will be will be. I am not going to cower in my home, fearing anyone or anything who has a bump in his pockets, or who looks different than me. I am happy for screenings on aircraft, do not mind bag checks when I go into events, and will gladly go through metal detectors in WDW. But IMO, those measures are just first layers, and if that is the only security in place, well....I hope it makes you feel better. Me? I'm okay with it, but I want the big guns behind the scenes working on the problem.

OT: As an attorney who has had a hip replacement, I always set off the metal detectors in the court house. I get wanded. In winter, I wear boots. They never wand my boots. Think about that.

Former courthouse security here. The proper way you should have been handled is to have you go through the metal detector and note by the lights we see on our side, which part of your body set it off. I would not have checked your boots with the wand either if they didn't indicate.

This wasn't in one of the parks, but last March when we were driving back to CBR after dinner, DH kind of accidentally took a CM only road (yes I know they have signs, but he goes wherever Google Maps takes him...) Within seconds, there were 2 vehicles that pulled us over asking why we were in that area and that we shouldn't be there and then they followed us until we got off of that road.

I have no doubt Disney has eyes everywhere, and I feel relatively safe in the Disney World bubble. As others have said, a lot of security has to do with reading people and situations, not in going through bags. There are so many things to be scared of and worry about in this world, but I don't live my life like that. That would be a miserable way to live and life's too short for that! I avoid obvious dangers to the best of my ability and use common sense.

If you're uncomfortable at Disney, don't go. Simple solution for you.

Even before the recent terror attack in Orlando when we learned that this monster was casing out Disney World for a possible attack, my family and I discussed how we felt that the security at Disney is a joke. Half the time we go through security the person just feels out our bag with a couple of squeezes from the bottom then peeks into the top of the bag and that's it.

I think that out of the hundreds of times we have been to Disney parks, we were searched in a good thorough manner about 5 times. Other times, I've turned to my husband and told him that we could have had guns and bombs in our bags and they wouldn't have known. We were disgusted with the lack of real security and searches.

Many times the security person saw our son's big black diabetes kit and he/she asked what was in there. I replied that it was our diabetes kit and they just said, "oh, ok, thank you" What the heck?? Why are they taking my word for it??? I could have had a weapon in there and you just take my word for it?

I addition to that, we have walked through security a multitude of times with layers of clothes and jackets on when it's cold and nobody bothered to check us. Again, we could have had weapons under our layers. I realize that if they start doing more thorough checks, the lines will get slower and longer but that's fine with me. I would rather be delayed a bit than killed.

Disney has known since 9/11 that it has been a target. Intelligence has found multiple times that terrorists had Disney on their possible target list. Is Disney going to wait until there is a tragedy before they tighten security up and take this seriously just like the recent death of the little baby with the alligator??

I just completed a trip there (my last of 4 days at the park was the morning of the nightclub attack, so none of the security I saw was in response to that). The bag checks were quite thorough. The lines took MUCH longer than previously due to this. Plus, there was always a dog and uniformed local police at the perimeter of the entry area (pretty much where the buses drop off).

It's kind of a balancing act, too. Wherever they have security, its going to be a bottleneck. The longer security takes per person, the more of the bottleneck it is, and the more people waiting to get through the bottleneck are vulnerable. The more people massed together just outside the check for weapons, the more enticing a target for someone wishing to use a weapon to cause mass casualties.

again, my experience with Disney security leads me to believe that it's super easy to get weapons through.....why dont they check us like DCL does?
I've been to WDW more times than I can possibly remember. Is 'bag check' 100% foolproof? Nope, not at all. But...bag checks have been much more thorough lately!!! I've had to open every single compartment...even the ones that could possibly fit a lip balm in!! I've been sent through the metal detectors.
There is more security at WDW than you can imagine. There are people watching the parking lots, the bus stop areas, the entrance to the parks, inside the parks! Believe me, they know exactly what is happening. Disney isn't stupid....they realize what would happen if someone got into the parks and started shooting! There would be lawsuits from every direction, not to mention the loss of revenue because people would stop coming because they were afraid.

Now, lets compare WDW to DCL. Stop and think for a moment the repercussions to doing something on board a large cruise ship. Sure, fewer people, but there is absolutely no place for those people to go if there is an issue. Into life boats? Maybe, but not if something happened quickly. Look at what happens if there is even a small fire onboard a cruise ship. Someone with any kind of weapon could have a field day. So, sure, they can be a lot more thorough on a cruise ship.

My dd works at a Six Flags during the summer months. We go out to see her and watch her perform. I can't say if this is the case at all other Six Flags, but ours has a metal detector you go through...every single person. You have to empty your pockets, your handbag is thoroughly searched. The last time I was there, I got wanded..not sure why, but I got that 'extra attention'. It's not bad on a weekday, but man, be prepared to wait a very long time on a weekend day!!! And the attendance is nowhere, not in the same ball park, close to what WDW parks have for attendance!!! I would say that they have about 6 lines with those metal detectors, and you still wait a fairly long time on busier days.

I still feel safe at WDW. My dd is starting DCP there in Sept..I'm not overly concerned about her safety. We all try to be aware of our surroundings, all the time, no matter where we are. I sit down in the movie theater and I look for the exit doors and plan my escaped...just in case!!!!

Don't you (general) think there's a reason that we don't know all of the security in place at WDW? There's much more than just the bag check or metal detector, but I'm glad Disney doesn't speak about it. Also, when the Department of Homeland Security tested TSA across the country by smuggling banned weapons or explosives, TSA missed them 95% of the time. I don't think TSA is the model we should be following.

It seems like people are judging Disney security by what you're seeing at the front gates. "Random" selections to go through the metal detectors and non-consistent bag checks are what you see up front. The real security is taking place behind the scenes.

And I personally doubt that this guy really had religion behind him. I think he was a seriously disturbed and CONFUSED man who couldn't put the two halves of his mind together, and lashed out in a disgusting manner.

I agree with this...but only partially. I think because his father was religious, he was torn between being gay and his religious upbringing. But this is no different from people in that Baptist church in California where the preacher just said it was too bad that more homosexuals weren't killed in the attack. Anti-LGBT is not unique to the religion of Islam. So do I think this had anything to do with "radical Islam?" Not really. But I do think a conflict between his religious upbringing/strict father, his true sexuality, and whatever anger issues this guy demonstrated throughout his life came together in the worst possible way.

Why does a terrorist have to actually get into the park? There are hundreds of people outside the park before rope drop and could carry out their attack at the gates. The brussels airport attack happened outside of the secure area and the same could happen at disney. No need to smuggle a weapon into the park...security stops and check points are sometimes there for a false sense of security.

You don't assume that security only starts at the park entrance, do you? I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they have active security starting from the time you enter a parking lot/TTC. We just don't see it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...shed-by-furniture-than-killed-by-a-terrorist/

Furniture and cars are more likely to kill you then a terrorist. Do people worry incessantly about crossing the street, driving down the road or even when they pull a book off their bookshelf (okay, not many still do this with e-readers)?
Agreed.

By changing our behaviors and living in a less free and fearful society, the terrorists are winning.

The fact remains if a true terrorist wanted to kill Disney tourists ... ALL they would have to do is walk up to the security line before any sort of check is done and start opening fire. They would easily kill/wound more people at that bottleneck then they would INSIDE the park. Why try and sneak something through security when you don't need to.

The security at the gates is mainly for show (and to make guests FEEL safer) and to prevent weapons from getting in the park that could be used in an anger issue, NOT a terrorist threat.

The fact the guy chose not to do it at Disney because of their security shows it did exactly what it is suppose to.

When I read the report that he was casing Disney, I immediately realized that he attacked the club because it was an easier target. Disney's security was a deterrent.

You have to keep in mind that: 1) No security is perfect, and 2) There is a tradeoff between security and access. Disney could make their security much better and much more thorough. However, you would be in line waiting to get in the park for several hours and would not be able to bring in much of anything.

It seems like people are judging Disney security by what you're seeing at the front gates. "Random" selections to go through the metal detectors and non-consistent bag checks are what you see up front. The real security is taking place behind the scenes.

Exactly. Disney security starts as soon as you enter the Reedy Creek area. There are cameras everywhere. Bag checks and metal detectors just make people feel better, and they catch little things that people either don't know can't be brought in, and it's a way to catch someone they already "caught" before they got to the checkpoint.

You've been searched much more thoroughly than you even know. That's the magic of Disney security. And, due to the recent terror attack, I won't elaborate further.

For the people who are hinting a larger behind the scene security, why can't it be elaborated? I think it would give us all a little more peace of mind.

For the people who are hinting a larger behind the scene security, why can't it be elaborated? I think it would give us all a little more peace of mind.

If it is elaborate then they will know how to get around it. Having the element of surprise is of benifit in security. You always want to be one step ahead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter