In case you were wondering about Security...

I think it's REALLY difficult to decide anything from that video. from watching it, one cannot tell what happened before, who the people involved are, what the situation is, etc....

For those saying it took security a long time to get there...

Think about it logically for a moment. Someone had to notify security. They they had to get there. So, if 30-60 in security was called by a cast member. Then, they still have to get there from wherever they are. Unless they were right next to ToT, they got there pretty quickly, IMO.

...I'd really like to know the Security guy is okay. He took some hits....

He was taken to the hospital, treated and released. If you look at the background pics, he had a bloody nose or lip. You just see blood on his face and napkins.

Specifically, according to an article in the NY Daily News, " 'One security guard was treated for minor injuries at a hospital,' said Suzi Brown, a spokeswoman for Disneyland. "

- Dreams

I don't remember seeing anything on the pier that says you can't leave the area with your drinks. And nobody stops you from having it when you go out of the area (we left with the remainder of our margaritas after we ate).
Same here. I've never seen a sign, or heard anything saying you can't. My friends and I walked around with some margaritas, once (though mine was non-alcoholic, everyone else's were the regular kind). No one stopped us or said anything, though they were plainly visible. In the warmer months I've seen people walking around all over the parks with those neon cups. I think it's okay as long as you're not causing any trouble.

How sad, though, that things like this happen in the parks. Seriously, why would someone get drunk and go to Disneyland? I don't drink, so maybe I just don't get it, but isn't it more fun when you're in control of your faculties? I'd be too scared that I'd fall out of a ride or something. Actually, a friend's brother claims to have gone to DL on mushrooms and had a terrible time. He said Mr. Toad's Wild Ride was the worst! I know alcohol is very different, but I still can't imagine that it enhances the experience.

I really hope that security guard is okay. I hope no little kids had the magic ruined by witnessing that, too. I would have been so scared to see that in the parks when I was a kid!

I don't remember seeing anything on the pier that says you can't leave the area with your drinks. And nobody stops you from having it when you go out of the area (we left with the remainder of our margaritas after we ate).

I've never seen anything either, but I've never looked. :)

Actually, if I am not mistaken, the guy in the Laker's jersey was an undercover. He watched the situation, until it got violent, then he interceded. He had a picture of the guy for purposes, then as soon as more backup arrives, they took him down. By himself, he couldn't have taken him down. AT least 2-3 of the guys who held him were not guests, but undercovers (aka foxes.) You could tell because once suits arrived, they did have one person near move away, and you could hear one of them say something along the lines of dont let him up til John got there with the ties. (They use plastic ties in the park.) Disney would not have allowed guests to remain in a position where they could be injured once Disney suits were there to handle.

It did seem like they knew how to restrain him very well, I was glad someone was there to help. :)

Same here. I've never seen a sign, or heard anything saying you can't. My friends and I walked around with some margaritas, once (though mine was non-alcoholic, everyone else's were the regular kind). No one stopped us or said anything, though they were plainly visible. In the warmer months I've seen people walking around all over the parks with those neon cups. I think it's okay as long as you're not causing any trouble.

How sad, though, that things like this happen in the parks. Seriously, why would someone get drunk and go to Disneyland? I don't drink, so maybe I just don't get it, but isn't it more fun when you're in control of your faculties? I'd be too scared that I'd fall out of a ride or something. Actually, a friend's brother claims to have gone to DL on mushrooms and had a terrible time. He said Mr. Toad's Wild Ride was the worst! I know alcohol is very different, but I still can't imagine that it enhances the experience.

I really hope that security guard is okay. I hope no little kids had the magic ruined by witnessing that, too. I would have been so scared to see that in the parks when I was a kid!

I guess I just never thought that about doing it..... lol I do realize now that friends have said they walk around with alcohol but I've just never thought of doing it.

Actually, if I am not mistaken, the guy in the Laker's jersey was an undercover. He watched the situation, until it got violent, then he interceded. He had a picture of the guy for purposes, then as soon as more backup arrives, they took him down. By himself, he couldn't have taken him down. AT least 2-3 of the guys who held him were not guests, but undercovers (aka foxes.) You could tell because once suits arrived, they did have one person near move away, and you could hear one of them say something along the lines of dont let him up til John got there with the ties. (They use plastic ties in the park.) Disney would not have allowed guests to remain in a position where they could be injured once Disney suits were there to handle.

I was fascinated by a thread on the Disney World Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies board that was dedicated to Theme Park Security. (It's got the line from the COPS song "Bad Boys, Bad Boys!" in the title if anyone is interested.) It's pretty amazing when you think about the lengths Disney must go to in order to keep the parks safe with so many people and personalities coming through the gates each day. I admire and appreciate what they do.

As for the video, I hate that the situation happened, and maybe it makes me a grump, but I wish the Heckling Hipsters and their girlfriend would've kept their mouths shut. As hilarious as they thought they were, I don't think their comments helped the situation. (It's been bugging me since I watched the video earlier. Now that's off my chest, I feel better. Thanks for "listening.")

Oh well, live. Learn. And hope I don't ever have to witness that sort of thing at Disney. And I'm glad the security officer was okay after being treated for his injuries.

I've never been to DLR so I can't comment on their policies but at Epcot n The studios they sell the alcohol at walk up vendors. Still, although I have had a drink now n then I don't think it's "fun" to walk around with it. Who wants alcohol sloshed all over themselves as they navigate crowds.

I say kudos to the very loud lady trying to get the belligerent man to quiet himself around kiddos. I don't care where you are, don't over do it and make a fool of yourself.

It's pretty amazing when you think about the lengths Disney must go to in order to keep the parks safe with so many people and personalities coming through the gates each day.

Exactly...so it begs the question, which "genius" at Disney decided to throw a ton of alcohol into the mix? :confused3

I must say, we partake in the alcohol sometimes, but I don't understand why it is there. I don't think it is necessary at all. Plenty of places to drink outside the parks!

Thank you. I did some googling and saw a different video from another angle

Do you have a link to it? I tried searching but youtube now has dozens of copies of the same video up making it hard to find anything new.

Response time... 3.5 minutes isn't that bad.

Of course the old saying applies "When seconds count, police are only minutes away".

Glad the security guy wasn't hurt too bad.

I must say, we partake in the alcohol sometimes, but I don't understand why it is there. I don't think it is necessary at all. There are enough places to drink outside the parks if someone wants to do so.

I have no problems with alcohol being there, I enjoy going to the Cove Bar for Lobster Nachos and a drink with my sweetie while the girls are off riding the Orange Sting.....wait sorry, Merry Melodies Swings (which I actually love the retheme of ;) ) and CA Screamin'. I like the choice of having a glass of wine or Margarita if I'd like it with my food (the Margarita stand is right next to Cocina Cucamonga, great idea IMO), I just never considered walking around with it. Not that there's a problem with that, I just never thought of doing it.

I don't have a 'problem' with alcohol being served there, but it does lead to a higher likelihood of people doing this. Of course, anybody could drink a bunch at home and come do the same thing, so it's sorta a moot point.

The good news is, most of the people who consume liquor at Disneyland know how to handle themselves...at least enough to not need security :P

This afternoon I was crossing the Hub and noticed a large crowd in front of the Castle.
As I approched I noticed that they were Videotaping two small girls. I head that they were from the Ellen Show.
Taping for TV or ads happen very often in DL.

EllenGirls.jpg

EllenGirlsTV.jpg

As the crowd got larger, four guys came out of the crowd and began ordering guests to move back behind the circle.
They had no DL cast uniforms, badges, or any identification. Appeared to be in their late 20's.
All had sunglasses, three did not have earpeices, two had neatly trimmed beards, all had DL style haircuts.
The guy directing them had a hoodie up and stood behind looking at the crowd. They all held an iPod in one hand that they often glanced at.
I have pictures of them, but choose not to publish them.

Security.....

I have a friend who's a cop, he volunteered to be both tasered and pepper sprayed (I'm guessing it helps to actually know what the perps go through). He said he'd rather be tasered than pepper sprayed. The stuff they used on that drunk must have been pretty mild.

The only person more obnoxious than the drunk was that lady screaming her lungs out but doing nothing to actually help. They should have subdued her as well. :rolleyes1

Now I'm gonna be searching for 'fake tourists' when we go LOL

:rotfl:

I must say, we partake in the alcohol sometimes, but I don't understand why it is there. I don't think it is necessary at all. There are enough places to drink outside the parks if someone wants to do so.

I didn't mean to imply that I think there's anything "wrong", per se, with serving alcohol or drinking alcohol at the parks. I don't drink myself, but I don't begrudge anyone else who can do it without ruining somebody else's day (or life). I just can't understand why Disney *ever* thought that alcohol would be a good idea in the parks?? I mean, aside from leaving guests in an environment where they have to encounter situations like the one in the video, it would also appear to be making park security's job more difficult? :confused3

Off topic...but did anyone see any reason why that security guard should have REPEATEDLY kept spraying that guy when he was just standing still??? Seriously, I would have probably finally punched that guard, too! Perhaps they are trained to do that, or maybe the guard was just sort of nervous and not really trying to be a control-freak-jerk...but all I could think of was, "Why doesn't he STOP?" Looked like a bad situation all the way around.

This afternoon I was crossing the Hub and noticed a large crowd in front of the Castle.
As I approched I noticed that they were Videotaping two small girls. I head that they were from the Ellen Show.
Taping for TV or ads happen very often in DL.

EllenGirls.jpg

EllenGirlsTV.jpg

As the crowd got larger, four guys came out of the crowd and began ordering guests to move back behind the circle.
They had no DL cast uniforms, badges, or any identification. Appeared to be in their late 20's.
All had sunglasses, three did not have earpeices, two had neatly trimmed beards, all had DL style haircuts.
The guy directing them had a hoodie up and stood behind looking at the crowd. They all held an iPod in one hand that they often glanced at.
I have pictures of them, but choose not to publish them.

Security.....

These girls are HILARIOUS!!!!!

Reportedly, he was using foul language and was removed from TOT. He became violent, after he was pepper sprayed repeatedly. They haven't released any more details, due to the investigation.

I hope this guy wasn't a diabetic. If, a diabetic's blood sugar drops to a low level, it can make one appear to be drunk. .

Regardless, it's a sad situation.

I have a friend who's a cop, he volunteered to be both tasered and pepper sprayed (I'm guessing it helps to actually know what the perps go through). He said he'd rather be tasered than pepper sprayed. The stuff they used on that drunk must have been pretty mild.
My son is a cop, and part of their certification, they had to be tasered (5 second ride he calls it), he had pepper spray as part of his pepperspray class, he was maced, and they had tear gas. He said pepper spray and tear gas were about equal, and he would take mace or taser over pepper spray and tear gass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter