• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Im'sick

pattypatty

Earning My Ears
Hi!! guys! well i leave this friday and I have a nasty cough and it doesn't get better and i dont find a doctor that can see me before I leave. Do you guys have home remedies or tell me about good medicines, I really need to get better :( or I can get worse there because of the change of temperture.

My grandmother always makes "homemade cough syrup". She used to use moonshine she was given by the sherriff that he found during raids but now she uses whiskey. Just take whiskey, about a shot, a spoonful of honey, a little brown sugar mix together well and drink up. I always heat up the hones, brown sugar and a little whiskey so it's melted together. I chase it with some coke. Kind of like a Jack and Coke, but warm. It works for me, it also keeps you nice and toasty for a little while after you drink it! :rotfl: Hope you feel better! Maybe try to get in a trip to the dr before you go also. The prescrition cough syrup works weel for me, but you can't take too much or you really will be in "Fantasyland"!

I love Echinacea Lemon Throat Coat tea or Gypsy Cold tea by traditional medicinals http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com/?id=28&pid=7

I buy it at Farm Fresh but I don't know what you have by you. I swear by it when I'm sick (like now). I also drink chicken broth like no other.

Dayquil has always been great for me- but word to the wise- the main active ingredient in it (pseudoephedrine) is now controlled more (I guess you can make crystal meth out of it or something :confused3 ) so you have to go to the pharmacist and ask for Sudafed w/ pseudoephedrine in it, and then sign something that says you won't do anything illegal with it. Dayquil and sudafed on the shelves don't have that as the active ingredient anymore and I was told are now essentially useless when it comes to making you feel better!!

Goodluck! I hope you feel better! :grouphug:

I know an old remedy. Take a spider (live :scared1: ), put it in a jar and cover in honey. Day 2, add another spider and cover with more honey.
days 3 to 30 repeat Day 2

On day 30, open jar and swallow all contents. :sick:

I don't know if it works-what do you think I am, STUPID?

pattypatty said:
Hi!! guys! well i leave this friday and I have a nasty cough and it doesn't get better and i dont find a doctor that can see me before I leave. Do you guys have home remedies or tell me about good medicines, I really need to get better :( or I can get worse there because of the change of temperture.

You probably need to see a doctor. Without knowing the particular type of symptoms you have, there's no way to rule out something serious that requires an antibiotic. Go to one of those urgent care clinics either in your town right now or right when you get to Orlando. You'll get something for it and enjoy your vacation better.

Hobbes said:
I know an old remedy. Take a spider (live :scared1: ), put it in a jar and cover in honey. Day 2, add another spider and cover with more honey.
days 3 to 30 repeat Day 2

On day 30, open jar and swallow all contents. :sick:

I don't know if it works-what do you think I am, STUPID?

What kind of spider does it have to be?

:rotfl2:

And who knows... if I'm still sick after 30 days, I just might be up for swallowing a whole bunch of honey-coated spiders :lmao:

I should not even be typing this because it's medical advice, so take this advice at your own risk and I am not responsible for anything that may happen.

But if you have mucus down in your chest/lungs and are coughing it up, check out Mucinex which is usually by all the cough syrups. This used to be a prescription-only medicine until a year or two ago. It's somewhat expensive, but worth every penny. It is an expectorant which will thin out the congestion in your chest and will make it all come out. A couple of days of this and you'll feel much better.

If you have a fever, then do your best to see a doctor.

I had terrible congestion and ear pain the week before we left for WDW. A trip to the dr and he told me to take Mucinex (2 pills every 12 hours). It will thin out the mucus and makes things run. It works wonder!

ameraumi said:
I had terrible congestion and ear pain the week before we left for WDW. A trip to the dr and he told me to take Mucinex (2 pills every 12 hours). It will thin out the mucus and makes things run. It works wonder!

I just had to post that after reading this thread I went out and bought Mucinex. I took 1 pill (it says 1-2) less than an hour ago... and omg it's amazing!! It's totally cleared me out, I'm breathing much better and hardly coughing! It was kind of expensive- $10 for 20 pills... but totally worth it to me. I have to work at 7:30am tomorrow... I was really beginning to worry!!

Yippee!! :woohoo: Thanks to those who posted about this. Now I know what to take if I get sick again (esp if it's before a Disney trip!!) :banana:

Glad it worked for you...I may have to go out and get some, too! We are ALSO leaving on the 28th and I have had a cough for a MONTH!!! The first week it was like the worst head cold I ever had, sore throat and burning chest cough. Why didn't I go to the Doc??? Well, it kept getting better each day. Just a little better. I kept telling myself "If it doesn't get bettery by XXX day, I'll go to the dr." and of course, each day was a tiny bit better. The last week or so, it is just an occasional annoying cough, but sometimes a little mucus comes up (sorry to be gross). Looking back, I wish I had gone to see the doc. I probably had bronchitis (happens every couple of years) or a mild case of pneumonia.

So...back to you...even though the Musinex is helping, I would still go see the doc.

Hope you have an awesome trip! We will be there until the 4th and I will be the one with fuschia crocs, two pre-teen boys and hubby most likely in a ECV (herniated disc). We are at CSR...

Go to Walgreens or Walmart - purchase Delsym Cough Syrup. IT WILL MAKE YOU SLEEPY. I only use it at night - it works for getting a good night sleep. The other 24 hr turn around for me is.... Alchselzer Gel Caps (sorry I can't spell) use them as directed - you can take them at night too if your cough is not keeping you awake. In 24 hrs you will feel so much better. Don't get the generic though it doesn't work as well. Last but not least.... drink a ton of water flush those germs out of your body. Rest as much as possible if you have sun in your area sit in it and it will help bake out the germs. Hope you feel better soon.

I agree with the musinex and delsym (though it never has made myself or my family, including my kids sleepy at all...now tussinex ..which is same as delsym with hydrocodone, by prescription only will knock you on your tushy) both are great drugs.

However, let me tell you that frankly your nuts if you have a lingering cough and do not go to the Dr now while your still in your comfort zone. You could have bronchitis and that must be treated. Before Friday you could find that your congestion has caused you to end up with ear issues hence no flying for you. You probably need to go on antibiotics if its been lasting longer than a normal cough/cold usually lasts for you. Besides a nice Dr might give you something a bit stronger than delsym so that you can sleep better (do NOT take it during the daytime!!)since that is when the coughing always seems worse...cough syrup with codiene or hydrocodone will stop a cough in its track.

I remember one year having a cough that i ignored and bam i ended up with pneumonia, and was in bed for 2 weeks.

Good luck, if you have insurance most now days will pay for you to visit a "doc in the box"...if you really cant see a Dr before then do that. Have you called your Dr and asked that since he cant see you would he just prescribe something for you...if so ask for Z-Pack (its only 5 days worth of medicine 1 x per day..easy, you'd be done by the time you leave, and its broad spectrum so covers most everything) and a small bottle of cough syrup. I know my Dr would comply if it was his fault i couldnt be seen.

Again, good luck!

thanks all!!!! :grouphug: I'm taking now Nyquil for night and Robitussin Cough for the day and my vitamin C. but is not getting better so I think I have 2 go to the dr. (I hate doctors) I'm not gonna let this thing bother me I'M going to the WORRRLDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!! YEYYYYYY :banana: :banana: :banana: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter