Impressions of National Geographic as an alternative to ABD

Thank you so much for the review. I think it is great to know that there are other fabulous options out there. We have only been on 2 ABDs but I think it is easy to stick with what you know so I am happy to hear the great review. It definitely makes me more willing to compare itineraries and prices and so forth.

We had the same reluctance about switching away from a company you "know" but we have traveled with Nat.Geo. as well as Tauck and they both offer wonderful experiences. I put it like purchasing a car....it is an expensive endeavor so you go from dealer to dealer, do your research and go for the best deal when you compare 'apples to apples". Let's face it, it ain't cheap to travel this way so it sometimes is rewarding to save a few bucks on the same trip. Happy travels.

We (my family) did the Yellowstone family trip this past June with Nat.Geo. I must second your review Cafan that our trip was first class too. We had four guides for a group of twenty six both adults and kids. The food was terrific and we just ordered off the menu when we dined. The trip itself was run in 3 vans where everyone had a window and we were able to go places busses were not allowed. Wonderful time was had by all.

Glad to hear that. The Yellowstone family trip is what I'm looking at for 2017.

On a Lighter Note Calfan & CaliforniaGirl 109 As you seem to do a lot of travelling Do you do do any " Paid Work Jobs " ?

Or do you have great jobs that give you plenty of vacation time ?

Long may you enjoy your " Travel time "

Lol! This year has been pretty crazy with travel, and although I'd love to keep it up, it's going to have to slow down (at least until I win the lottery, which might be hard as I don't play). We both do have paid jobs :) Mine is fortunately very flexible.

On a Lighter Note Calfan & CaliforniaGirl 109 As you seem to do a lot of travelling Do you do do any " Paid Work Jobs " ?

Or do you have great jobs that give you plenty of vacation time ?

Long may you enjoy your " Travel time "

As CaliforniaGirl mentioned, we do both have paying jobs. And 2015 has definitely been an unusual travel year for me. It was something of a reward for living through the acquisition of my company by another company early in the year (and eating, drinking and breathing the deal for almost all of 2014) While I would love to keep traveling at this pace, I fear that neither my pocket book nor my job will allow it. I'm probably back to one major family vacation during the summer and hopefully squeezing in some shorter trips or long weekend getaways for school breaks. That being said, I am already scheming as to how to fit in another NatGeo hiking trip :)

Thank you so much for the review. I think it is great to know that there are other fabulous options out there. We have only been on 2 ABDs but I think it is easy to stick with what you know so I am happy to hear the great review. It definitely makes me more willing to compare itineraries and prices and so forth.

We had the same reluctance about switching away from a company you "know" but we have traveled with Nat.Geo. as well as Tauck and they both offer wonderful experiences. I put it like purchasing a car....it is an expensive endeavor so you go from dealer to dealer, do your research and go for the best deal when you compare 'apples to apples". Let's face it, it ain't cheap to travel this way so it sometimes is rewarding to save a few bucks on the same trip. Happy travels.

I definitely agree. When we booked Thomson Family Adventures for our 2016 China trip, I felt like I was cheating on Disney somehow, LOL. But after my so-so experience with the Baltics ABD add-on and now having loved my National Geographic experience, I am so happy that I decided to book China based on the itinerary I preferred (coupled with my preference for a smaller group size and a guaranteed departure). Going forward, I think my approach is definitely going to be to base my decision heavily on which itinerary I prefer and group size (also factoring in price of course) rather than the specific company (assuming I'm choosing between top-tier companies like ABD, NatGeo, Thomson, Tauck, etc.).

Glad to hear that. The Yellowstone family trip is what I'm looking at for 2017.

We just did this trip last June. If there are any questions I would be happy to answer. One thing to keep in mind companies do change and tweek the trips. But Nat.Geo stays inside the park at the hotels the most nights out of all the companies we researched. Great to wake up in the shadow of Old faithful and see the parks at first light.

Calfan....I look forward to your review of your China trip. I do love hearing about the other options. Having said that, ABD might win out in 2017. Our graduating senior gets to help pick and he seems very interested in Norway. I don't think the other companies have a family trip to Norway. If anyone knows something to the contrary, please let me know.

Calfan....I look forward to your review of your China trip. I do love hearing about the other options. Having said that, ABD might win out in 2017. Our graduating senior gets to help pick and he seems very interested in Norway. I don't think the other companies have a family trip to Norway. If anyone knows something to the contrary, please let me know.

I think you are right about Norway. The Norway ABD is still on my list.

Thank you Calfan for explaining your work & vacation time.

I am retired , Irish, employee of both Pfizer & ADM .

Married to Anne from The Netherlands & that is why we have had so many trips to Europe over 40 years.

We also have relations in Spokane , New Jersey, Florida, & Victoria & Vancouver in Canada. & Brisbane . Australia.

1) Nat Geo is an excellent choice/alternative.
2) They have several "levels" of activity in order to accommodate an individual's energy level and physical ability; we usually do "Moderate"
3) Having worked so much in Europe, I usually do a self-directed trip with B&B's - for Asia, South Pacific, or Africa, we enjoy Nat Geo.
4) I like the idea of the smaller group sizes (than ABD) and the extra 1-2 guides.

NOTE: It is easy to become over-enthused with ABD, and usually due to a person's own thoughts/biases about Disney. but, there are other EXCELLENT tour companies around the world. There are few things that ABD has to offer that others cannot meet-or-exceed. This is not a condemnation of ABD, just an observation. My neighbor and golfing buddy is a travel agent and advises us well. He even tells us when to book through him or book direct, due to discounts or credits.

I sure hope Rupert Murdoch's purchase of National Geographic doesn't adversely affect this branch of the brand like it did the magazine...

http://reverbpress.com/business/rupert-murdoch-national-geographic-layoffs/

Sayhello
..............I just hope Murdoch doesn't replace the Nat Geo workers with HB1 workers like Disney just did. Threw a whole slew of hard working American workers (that probably visit the parks and see their movies) with cheap visa help. They should be ashamed, As far as the future Nat Geo and Tauck will probably be our tour companies for I work for a living too and can't stomach laying off all my fellow workers.

My husband and I recently booked another NatGeo trip: Hiking the Emerald Isle. So far, I have not noticed any changes from the very positive experience CaliforniaGirl09 and I had with our England Coast to Coast trip.

My husband and I recently booked another NatGeo trip: Hiking the Emerald Isle. So far, I have not noticed any changes from the very positive experience CaliforniaGirl09 and I had with our England Coast to Coast trip.

Good for you. We had a wonderful time with Nat. Geo at Yellowstone and plan to travel next year. We actually seen a Nat. Geo trip van(s) up here in Shelburne Vt. having lunch at Shelburne Farms on Lake Champlain a few weeks ago during "peeper season". It brought back great memories of our trip with them.

I have been talking to them too about the Scotland Family Trip. They have been extremely helpful even though I am planning to book Summer 2017 (dates have not even been released yet). The rep, Megan, answered lots of my questions and gave me lots of good info. For those of you who did the Scotland ABD, was all the bus time a negative?

The travel on the Nat Geo seems much less. You don't see as much of Scotland but seem to have more time in the places you do go (Pitlochry, Inverness, Fort William) and then there is an optional add-on for Edinburgh and the Tattoo. It's also 9 days instead of 8.

I have been talking to them too about the Scotland Family Trip. They have been extremely helpful even though I am planning to book Summer 2017 (dates have not even been released yet). The rep, Megan, answered lots of my questions and gave me lots of good info. For those of you who did the Scotland ABD, was all the bus time a negative?

The travel on the Nat Geo seems much less. You don't see as much of Scotland but seem to have more time in the places you do go (Pitlochry, Inverness, Fort William) and then there is an optional add-on for Edinburgh and the Tattoo. It's also 9 days instead of 8.

I didn't find the bus time to be a negative for us. The scenery was pleasant and our guides made the time in the bus enjoyable. I loved everything we got to do with ABD and wouldn't change a thing. Sadly, they did eliminate the Isle of Lewis which was an amazing part of the trip.

That is exciting! We absolutely loved Scotland. We did the Scotland ABD the first year it was released in 2013. It was a fabulous trip. Yes, there was a fair amount of bus time, but it was handled well, and I really didn't mind. The scenery we were passing through was spectacular. The guides also did a good job of providing entertainment on the longer rides. All that being said, however, I'm not sure I can recommend the Scotland ABD after some of the (quite negative, in my opinion) changes that have been made to that trip. So I think I would be looking at another company too! The day trip to Lewis has been eliminated from the ABD, so no more Callanish standing stones, Arnold Blackhouse, etc. That was a great day, and it is such a shame that it was taken out of the itinerary. Other negatives in my opinion are that adults no longer get to do the horseback riding at Rothiemurcus, and the archery has been moved from the grounds of Glamis Castle to Rothiemurcus. If it fits your schedule and budget, I would definitely do the Edinburgh add-on to the NatGeo trip. We did our ABD in August and added several extra days in Edinburgh before the trip began. We saw the Tattoo, and it was spectacular. Definitely worth seeing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter