Important Update Re:child Pricing

jjohnson

DIS Veteran
I just got off the phone with Dining. I had planned on cancelling all of our buffet & FDP at MM. I was told as long as you made the AR before July 1st the old prices will be honored for 11 and under.

I asked her what do I do if the restaurant gives me a hard time. She said they can look right in their computers & see what day it was booked. She also added if they still question it to tell them to look at the notice dated June 17th.

I double checked with her manager & they also confirmed it.

jjohnson said:
I just got off the phone with Dining. I had planned on cancelling all of our buffet & FDP at MM. I was told as long as you made the AR before July 1st the old prices will be honored for 11 and under.

I asked her what do I do if the restaurant gives me a hard time. She said they can look right in their computers & see what day it was booked. She also added if they still question it to tell them to look at the notice dated June 17th.

I double checked with her manager & they also confirmed it.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS INFO!! :goodvibes

I just hope they don't give us alot of trouble. We have alot of AR's & 8 of them buffets.

I was wondering about this because we were billed ahead for Spirit of Aloha in August and my 10 year old was charged as a child. We are using the dining plan so I had them refund the charge, however and kept the AR. But, I just received an email from concierge who didn't mention that my AR's for kid prices would be valid. Just said that "yes that on July 1 the pricing changes" he did say that ordering from the kids menu at TS shouldn't be a problem, though, as many adults order from it.
UGH. I feel like cancelling all of my buffet AR's in protest.
If I do, does anyone have a suggestion to replace Boma? Could even be a really good CS.

mlwear said:
I was wondering about this because we were billed ahead for Spirit of Aloha in August and my 10 year old was charged as a child. We are using the dining plan so I had them refund the charge, however and kept the AR. But, I just received an email from concierge who didn't mention that my AR's for kid prices would be valid. Just said that "yes that on July 1 the pricing changes" he did say that ordering from the kids menu at TS shouldn't be a problem, though, as many adults order from it.
UGH. I feel like cancelling all of my buffet AR's in protest.
If I do, does anyone have a suggestion to replace Boma? Could even be a really good CS.

But Dining is saying that all your AR's will be honored at child prices if they were made before July 1st.

Actually, I personally wouldn't use the plan for dinner shows for the 10yo because you would use up 2 adult TS.

I'm glad HDD is already paid for. One less to worry about.

Wow I hope that is truly the case because so many of us called to cancel today. Maybe it had an impact. I would be happy to hear that my son will still be a child price at the meals since I made the ressies 90 days ago. Thank you for the update.

I hope that this is right...I will get the official wording off the computer tomorrow but I am pretty sure that it only said that things that are already paid for will be honored at the old price. That is if you have booked a dinner show and already paid in full yyour prices will not go up..I don't think its for all ARs. The reason I say this is because the prices at Crystal Palace and Garden Grill and I think Liberty Tree went up a few weeks ago and it was for everyone regardless if they had booked the ARs before the price change or not. Like I said let me check on this tomorrow...I will get the offical wording off the comp and post it here.

RedNeckChik13 said:
I hope that this is right...I will get the official wording off the computer tomorrow but I am pretty sure that it only said that things that are already paid for will be honored at the old price. That is if you have booked a dinner show and already paid in full yyour prices will not go up..I don't think its for all ARs. The reason I say this is because the prices at Crystal Palace and Garden Grill and I think Liberty Tree went up a few weeks ago and it was for everyone regardless if they had booked the ARs before the price change or not. Like I said let me check on this tomorrow...I will get the offical wording off the comp and post it here.
I am anxious to hear the official word :listen:

OK the official word as it appears in our system.....
In an effort to lessen existing confusion, prices for younger children enjoying dining experiences such as dinner shows, table service locations, and buffets, will adjust to reflect guests' ages 3 to 9. This will be consistent with Walt Disney World Theme Park admission pricing for younger children. We will begin charging based on these new age specifications beginning July 1st for arrivals July 1st and beyond.

Okay, I understand ages 10 and above being charged the adult price at the buffets and dinner shows, but what exactly are they planning to do for the table service places? Does it mean that anyone 10+ absolutely cannot order a child's meal? If they do order a child's meal and are 10+, what price would they be charged, if it is not the regular child's meal price?

If they are charged a surcharge or double price, and given a larger portion of the child's meal that is really not what I'm looking for either personally. The fact is that my son (11) not only is not an adventurous eater, but doesn't eat a whole lot of food either. A larger portion of chicken strips would just not get eaten even though it is something he likes. It just seems like such a waste to me if they go that route.

If someone, regardless of age, would like to have a small meal of a burger, or chicken strips, etc., why should this be a problem? Why should it cost them more than if a 6 year old were to order this?

I mean really, I have gotten a regular Happy Meal at McDonald's before because that was all I felt like eating at that time, and I'm 45 and am over 6 foot and weigh 225. I wasn't charged extra to do this, nor should I have been. Why should Disney feel a need to do so? Just MHO.

RedNeckChik13 said:
In an effort to lessen existing confusion, prices for younger children enjoying dining experiences such as dinner shows, table service locations, and buffets, will adjust to reflect guests' ages 3 to 9. This will be consistent with Walt Disney World Theme Park admission pricing for younger children. We will begin charging based on these new age specifications beginning July 1st for arrivals July 1st and beyond.
Is this the notice dated 6/17 that some CMs are referring to on the phone?? Thanks

jgreen said:
Okay, I understand ages 10 and above being charged the adult price at the buffets and dinner shows, but what exactly are they planning to do for the table service places? Does it mean that anyone 10+ absolutely cannot order a child's meal? If they do order a child's meal and are 10+, what price would they be charged, if it is not the regular child's meal price?

If they are charged a surcharge or double price, and given a larger portion of the child's meal that is really not what I'm looking for either personally. The fact is that my son (11) not only is not an adventurous eater, but doesn't eat a whole lot of food either. A larger portion of chicken strips would just not get eaten even though it is something he likes. It just seems like such a waste to me if they go that route.

If someone, regardless of age, would like to have a small meal of a burger, or chicken strips, etc., why should this be a problem? Why should it cost them more than if a 6 year old were to order this?

I mean really, I have gotten a regular Happy Meal at McDonald's before because that was all I felt like eating at that time, and I'm 45 and am over 6 foot and weigh 225. I wasn't charged extra to do this, nor should I have been. Why should Disney feel a need to do so? Just MHO.

You're preaching to the choir in my case. Our friends were charged double for their teens to order off the kid's menu. We asked if they could since they like very plain simple food and didn't even see an appetizer they liked although friends dd who is 15 did order an adult Caesar salad too. We didn't know until we got the bill they were charged double for the kids meals and the portions were no larger than my son's (who is 9) meal. I posted about it when I came back and I've been told lots of people have never been double charged and mine must be an isolated case, now I hear it will be the policy as of July 1st (guess our server decided to try it out 3 weeks early on us :sad2:) I'm anxious to hear what RedneckChik13 hears about how they'll handle t.s. I don't even know why it bugs me since it wasn't even money out of our wallet - it was our friends' but it's the principle of the thing. I was busy chatting with my friend and didn't know about the double charge until the men got the bills and asked. I am kicking myself for not getting that servers name. He was lousy btw and we have always had great CM's at Le Cellier in the past. Of course since we were a group he got his automatic 18% gratuity. I know I'm not a mind reader but looking back I think he thought since we ordered a lot of food, and some wine that we wouldn't notice the double charge. I guess we look rich. :rotfl2: :rotfl:

jgreen said:

This is exactly my issues.....we've been to Friendly's and my ds has gotten the kids chicken basket and eats it with no trouble. One time, he thought he was hungry and ordered the adult portion and it went to waste. I'd rather see my ds get the child portion and if hungry, take off of my plate since i don't finish my meal, either. BTW, my ds is 12.

If the "upcharge" for ordering off the children's menu wasn't mentioned to me at the time of ordering I would simply refuse to pay it. If the menu SAYS $5 for chicken nuggets, I am NOT going to pay $10 for those nuggets without being clearly told of the upcharge when I ordered said nuggets.

RedNeckChik13 said:

I spoke with 3 CM yesterday & a manager & they all were pretty adament regarding my above post. Is there a Notice dated 6/17 about honoring existing AR's?

After reading conflicting posts here, I called WDW Dining and asked.

The CM told me that if you have already paid for a dinner show in advance, there will be no additional charge after July 1st.

If you simply have a PS/ADR made before July 1st you will still be paying the new 10 and over rate.

I just called again & was told again that all AR's made before July1st will be honored. The restaurants have it in their computer systems when you called & the ages of your children. She said if I still have a problem with the waitress or manager to have them call Dining.

This is now 5 different CM's who have told me this.

I have had 2 CMs(1 just now) say that only credit card hold resisies will be honored and one who said she "hopes" all reservations before July 1st will be honored. What the heck?!! Threehearts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter