• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Important ROFR Question!!!

av8tor

DVC Owner - BLT & BCV
I had planned to buy SSR from Disney. I have all the documents (nothing is signed yet), I have a member number and a reservation for a 2 BR for this fall (not at SSR).

In the interim an opportunity arose to purchase a resale contract at the resort I am most interested in with more points and the added benefit of banked points. I have committed to this and the documents have been forward to Disney for ROFR.

My DVC guide was out until today but I just called her to let her know I was going to proceed with a resale (told her last week I was rethinking our SSR purchase) rather than making my initial purchase at SSR. She suggested that I hold onto the documents and let our current reservation stand just in case Diney exercises the ROFR. If this happens I could continue with our purchase of SSR and plans for this fall would still be intact.

Now the question.

I was already concerned that already being "in the system" as a potential purchaser for SSR would somehow effect Disney's decision on any ROFR that I am involved with. I am even more concerned that if I leave the reservation in place it will throw up a "red flag" and complicate the completion of the resale contract or worse cause Disney to take a closer look at the ROFR. The resale is at one of the more popular resorts, will the have any bearing?

Any input would be greately appreciated.

Am I just being paranoid?

Good questions. I don't know if Disney is given the BUYERS name, I believe only the details of the contract.

I sure someone will chime in with help.

You should be fine unless your offer on the resale is at a price that is low enough to cause DVC to buy it back (which would have happened regardless of your potential SSR purchase).

It would not make good business sense for them to buy back a resale at a higher price than they normally would to "punish" someone, especially if sales at SSR are as robust as reported.

Also, if they did that -- there's no guaranty that you would still proceed with a purchase @ SSR. So why would they take the chance?

Good Luck!!!

yesdisneyfool: DVC does receive the buyer's names on a resale as the seller has to provide a copy of a buyer/seller agreement signed by both parties.

Originally posted by calypso*a*go-go

yesdisneyfool: DVC does receive the buyer's names on a resale as the seller has to provide a copy of a buyer/seller agreement signed by both parties.

Thanks calypso*a*go-go, I knew someone would have the answer.

If you're working with a resale agent that knows DVC well, they should be able to help you. DVC does not tell anyone for sure but it has appeared that on a couple of occasions, they bought back marginal contracts to attempt to force a retail sale., or else they did it out of spite. Either way the result was the same. I am convinced they know the info about a potential buyer and get everything that's in the DVC system about the buyer and seller. You may want to ask ******** that question, I think she'd give it to you straight as best she knew.

We requested information from Disney before deciding on a resale. Just before our resale went to ROFR our DVC Guide called to see if we were interested in purchasing at SSR. I told him we were buying a resale contract, then came right out and asked him if he could influence the ROFR so we didn't get it. He assured me he could not, that it was two different departments, he would still be our guide if we bought resale, etc. As it turned out we passed ROFR at BWV at 70 per point, so in our case it didn't seem to matter. Best of luck!

We decided to go resale and our guide told us the same thing. We made it thru ROFR and are now the the proud owners of 220 pts at BWV . We purchased at $70 per pt. So I do not think you should worry about it. The Funny thing was that while we were waiting out ROFR our guide called with a 150 pt contract for BWV. :D

Thanks for the replies. My agent has assured me the selling price is sufficient to pass ROFR. We played phone tag today but I will discuss my concerns about this with him tomarrow. I sure will be glad when the wait is over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter