Important Disney Transportation Lesson Learned

jformica

Mouseketeer
We recently vacationed at Disney (7/29-8/9) and stayed at the WL. We had been to Disney 8 times in the past 6 years and the only Disney transportation we ever used was the monorail and boat service. We had never used the bus system as we also wanted to be able to control when we got to the parks. This trip we made a conscience decision to use the bus system.....never again. I admit, the system is easy to use and the destinations are clearly marked. I also admit that if we had extra time to sit back and wait to get to parks and back to our resort I would do it if only to save $25 in gas for the week. The problem, quite frankly, is there is no way to guarantee what time you will arrive at the park. We took the bus the first 2 parks we went to (Animal Kingdom and Epcot) and both times the bus took forever and had to stop at other resorts thus making us 10-40 minutes late for rope drop (respectively). Both times we were at the bus stop 30 minutes before park opening. Understandably if I were to show up 50-60 minutes before rope drop I'd have a good chance of getting there on time but please........

Who wants to wake up and get out of your room an hour before the park opens (7-8 am) and to immediately begin to "wait" for things. Plus you have to stress about getting on the bus without people cutting in line as there is no "official" line but people just line up as the bus comes. I had to walk my wife and kids up and budge in front of 4-5 families who had just shown up at the bus stop and took the liberty to run to the front. I had some polite choice words as I passed them by (in case they questioned what I was doing). Both times we either stopped at GF or Fort Wilderness which soaked up more time.

The bottom line is the bus system is a good idea. It serves its purpose and can help alleviate possible stress of having to rent a car and driving yourself around as well as saving gas money etc. I'm sure (and I've read) there are many great stories from others. I write this not to sway anyone from their position but to those (who like me) were debating whether to use the system. If you don't care what time you get to the park and what time you get back to your resort then the bus system is a no brainer, do it. However, if you want to make rope drop or have a schedule to uphold do yourself a huge favor and drive yourself. You don't have to pay for parking with your resort parking permit and you can control almost down to the minute when you get to the park gate. Or simply wake your tired family up 2 hours before rope drop to make sure you get to the bus stop 50-60 minutes before park opening and hope that everyone is not irrated and annoyed by 11 am.:confused3

I've not been yet, and when we go in 2 weeks we are renting a car, but everything on disboards and various disney books have stated to leave 1-1.5 hours if using Disney Transportation.

We are renting a car to avoid the very thing you describe. But I dont think it is an unknown fact that their buses can be slow.

That proves my point even more, an hour to an hour and half? I can't imagine getting my wife and kids to the bus by 6:30 am to get to rope drop. That's absolutely nuts!

And yet I can't imagine getting up and worrying about driving ourselves around all day. I just don't like driving and don't want to do it on my vacation unless there's absolutely no other option. When on business, I also will take light rail whenever possible instead of using cabs or renting a car.

So, there are plenty of different strokes for different folks.

That proves my point even more, an hour to an hour and half? I can't imagine getting my wife and kids to the bus by 6:30 am to get to rope drop. That's absolutely nuts!

I do rope drop every trip and I have NEVER gone to a bus stop at 6 :30 a.m...I usually get to the bus stop by 8 to 8"15 and have had no problem making rope drop froim either the CBR or the WL.

We never had an issue with buses either, made it to rope drop no problems. Maybe took 10/15 mins more than hopping in your car and driving yourself.

I do rope drop every trip and I have NEVER gone to a bus stop at 6 :30 a.m...I usually get to the bus stop by 8 to 8"15 and have had no problem making rope drop froim either the CBR or the WL.

Guess it depends on many factors (where you stay, what park your going to, what time of year, etc).

I agree with your post 100%! We too tried the bus system one year (while staying at CBR), and quickly decided never again. Our longest haul was approx 90 mins to get from CBR to TL....soooo that was fun. Nothing like waiting for a bus, or on a bus for hours on end to go just a couple of miles.

We too have found that by renting a car we are able to relax more, rest more and not stress out about waiting and waiting and waiting.... :drive:

Important Disney Transportation Lesson? RENT THE CAR!!!

Although for most of our trips we have stayed offsite, the last couple of times we (just DD and I) have stayed at WDW to take advantage of free dining and DME/bus system, meaning no cost for renting a car. (unfortunately, rental cars have become very expensive over the past few years.) However, as much as I love DME, I totally hate the busses. Not only do you have to be at the bus stop 60-90 mins before you need to be somewhere, but in the evenings you have the delight of standing in line for 15-75 minutes waiting for the bus, only to be packed in like sardines, standing in a moving vehicle to get back to the resort. Like I said, we've done it to save money, but I always hate the busses.

For our Oct. 2011 trip, DH is coming with us. When I asked him about DME/bus system, he was very, very clear: Rent a Car!!! YAY! :cool1::cool1:

We've found driving to be much easier and faster than the buses, too. Now, if I were the one who had to try to find my way around instead of DH, it might be a different story :laughing:. I can't stand driving in places I don't know well.

Glad the driving works for you. We are bus people, can't think of a time it has taken us an hour and a hald to get to a park. Been going since 1975, and part of the fun for us is not driving.:goodvibes

6:30 ADR at Ohana for our anniversary. Left POFQ by bus, headed to MK and the monorail, at 5pm. We were 20 mins. late for our ressie and they'd given our table to another family. The happy ending is that they "found" a table for us for our anniversary dinner, even though we had to wait an additional 45 mins (figured it'd take us that long to get somewhere else, IF there was anything available).

Most experienced Disney bus users always advise to be at the bus stop 1 hour prior to when you want to arrive at the park (obviously with some tweaks depending on where you are and where you are going). On our Christmas trip, my family was at the bus stop in the dark, at 6 AM for a 7 AM EMH. That's just what you have to do.

We don't take the bus that often because we usually drive to Florida, but one hour is the amount of time you need. Disney dining now tells people 1-1.5 hours I think for using Disney transport.

It is free.

Wow- and I always thought staying Deluxe would be better. We have stayed mostly at value- now that we have 5, POR from now on (as long as youngest fits on the trundle), and have NEVER stopped at other resorts in the mornings, nor has it ever taken that long to get to a park. I do actually like the value "lines" for busses- wish they all would do that. Cant tell you how many times we were the first ones there, and the last on the bus. Fact of the matter is... dont sit down and stay in the back if you care what order you get on the bus- everyone is not going to walk into the stops keeping track of what order everyone got there.....

I've had the boat launches sometimes take that long,too. Disney, and a ton of people on this site really recommend more than 1/2 hour - especially if you have dining reservations.

I think the bus is the only option for a lot of people.

Just dont get all the people who drive either. We drive down to Disney, and park our car at the resort, and LEAVE it till we leave. We tried once, and the line of cars in and out of the parks is not worth it. It takes so much away from vacation to sit in traffic at night... when you can ride a bus, and drive right past it.

We have stayed at Value Resorts, Mod Resorts and one Deluxe Resort. Bus service at the Deluxe Resort was the worst...long, long waits for a bus that stopped at at least one other resort before moving on to the park. However, bus service at the value resorts has always been great for us. I have NEVER had a bus take an hour and a half to reach the destination at the Value Resorts. Never.

When we rent a car, we will take the car to every park, except Magic Kingdom. The bus drops you off near the front gates, but if you take your car and park you have to deal with the TTC. So you park, then take a tram to the TTC and then either get on a monorail or a boat, then you get to the front gates. Bus is faster in my opinion from a Value.

Frankly, I prefer not to rent a car and take the busses....no driving hassels, no parking hassels and no worrying about the car (damage, theft, etc.). Bus system rocks...as long as you are at a Value Resort or a Moderate. Buses at the Deluxe resorts are few and far between.

Eric

Glad I wasn't driving last week. Yes, the buses are annoying, but I never got a ticket at the speed trap right by the entrance to the magic kingdom. The police always had three cars stopped whenever we went past (on the bus).

We stayed at the boardwalk and poly this trip. Thought the buses were way better at both than at POR on previous trips. The POR buses almost always stopped at all 4 POR stops and POFQ. Really no worse than the BW, Swan, Dolphin, YC, BC loop or the poly/CR stops.

Admittedly, we got really lucky with timing this trip and only waited more than 10 minutes - once. Sadly, getting back from the parks was just as bad at a deluxe as any other resort, but we usually close the parks so we're there with the bug rush at the end.

We like the buses. The longest time between arriving to wait and getting to the destination for us is between 30-40 minutes, usually less. There's no hassle with trying to get to a car and then park and deal with all that. We never bother with rope drop though... we just don't care about it (vacation = relaxation = time to sleep in = to heck with getting up just to stand in a big crowd).

Sure, if you're trying to get somewhere at a given time, you need to allow at least an hour just in case. Sure, if you're going somewhere when everybody else is (rope drop, park closing), it will take longer (especially at value resorts... the lines for All Star look quite scary). But we've generally found the buses to be far less stressful than driving to the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter