Impact of Spring Break 2021?

Mome Rath

3 Decade Disney Traveler
So, I get that covid, a any potential vaccine roll-out, makes everything cloudy and unpredictable in any concrete terms, but this is Florida we are talking about, so what do you all think the impact of Spring break next year will be? And, when does Spring break span for 2021 for everyone?

A lot of colleges are doing condensed spring semesters without a spring break. Many K-12 may also adjust usual break schedules - either to discourage travel or to make up for late starts this fall. But that said, if some areas remain with fully-virtual schools, families may decide they can do school from WDW just as easily as home. I think it’s too sonn to get a good idea.

I don't think that there is going to be a coordinated spring break considering what has been happening since last spring. I will go out on a limb here and predict that spring break won't amount to a snowballs chance in hell.

A lot of colleges are doing condensed spring semesters without a spring break. Many K-12 may also adjust usual break schedules - either to discourage travel or to make up for late starts this fall. But that said, if some areas remain with fully-virtual schools, families may decide they can do school from WDW just as easily as home. I think it’s too sonn to get a good idea.

That's what I was thinking (with people going with their families and not missing any school due to virtual access). If so, I suppose there won't be a wave of people in 2021 regardless of the covid/vaccine situation. But I don't discount a makeshift spring break at this point. I'm trying to plan my best guess, which I know won't be 100% accurate.

I am mainly curious as to what high schools and colleges have put out there, as far as a calendar. I know some will "cancel" spring break entirely, while others may just restrict.

I don't think that there is going to be a coordinated spring break considering what has been happening since last spring. I will go out on a limb here and predict that spring break won't amount to a snowballs chance in hell.

It'll be interesting to see what unfolds.

Here at UWF, Spring Break was moved to the second week of January, so most of us wont be at Disney.

That's what I was thinking (with people going with their families and not missing any school due to virtual access). If so, I suppose there won't be a wave of people in 2021 regardless of the covid/vaccine situation. But I don't discount a makeshift spring break at this point. I'm trying to plan my best guess, which I know won't be 100% accurate.

I am mainly curious as to what high schools and colleges have put out there, as far as a calendar. I know some will "cancel" spring break entirely, while others may just restrict.

It'll be interesting to see what unfolds.
We have an instructional calendar that gets approved by board and teachers union. Schools cannot just change this unless there is an order from governor. Last year, Cuomo said that we needed to teach during spring break or schools lost state aid. Schools complied but that was when we were in pause and things were all shut down. This was at the beginning of the pause. Many colleges and schools also have staff that are not traveling to see family during Thanksgiving or Christmas. I am a teacher and plan on being at a Disney in April for spring break. Unless Disney is shutdown or a Florida denies NY travelers I will be there! I cannot wait!

We have an instructional calendar that gets approved by board and teachers union. Schools cannot just change this unless there is an order from governor. Last year, Cuomo said that we needed to teach during spring break or schools lost state aid. Schools complied but that was when we were in pause and things were all shut down. This was at the beginning of the pause. Many colleges and schools also have staff that are not traveling to see family during Thanksgiving or Christmas. I am a teacher and plan on being at a Disney in April for spring break. Unless Disney is shutdown or a Florida denies NY travelers I will be there! I cannot wait!
Ahhh, I didn't know that. I knew the quarantine requirements were in place, which squashed a lot of travel at that particular time.

Here at UWF, Spring Break was moved to the second week of January, so most of us wont be at Disney.
Thank you for the data point! Any idea or guesses why they opted to do it so early in the year?

From what I've heard, the colleges around here are doing similar -- starting spring semester in February with no spring break, condensing the semester to get through quickly and get the students back home again. No break means no concerns about extra testing and possible quarantine with everyone scattering for vacations.

Our K-12 schools started 1-2 weeks late this fall, on government orders. However, I believe the state has only "excused" 5 days of that, so school districts that lost more than 5 days in Aug/Sept will need to make those up somehow. We've already had 1 inservice day clawed back (it became a student day). There's also concern about families traveling; LOTS of warnings that kids must quarantine if families travel for Thanksgiving or Christmas- I potentially see a similiar issue in the spring.

My kids go to boarding school and they will not have their typical two weeks off in March 2021. In exchange, they will be home from mid-December until probably February 1, with virtual classes resuming in mid-January. Some families I know are thinking of going to WDW in the first or second week of January.

This makes me feel a little better about planning a potential spring break trip. So far, our school district has been fully in-person and there hasn't really been any spread in the schools. As far as I know, all the school districts in our area (Cincinnati, OH) still have spring break scheduled for the last 2 weeks of March (ours is the last week). Out of curiosity, I did look at the local college, University of Cincinnati, and they do not have a spring break on their calendar.

Don't forget that a large chunk of "spring break crowds" in years past were international visitors. Canada and UK especially. You won't have those visitors this year unless borders open and travel restrictions / quarantine requirements ease by then - which they probably won't.

I'd be more worried about the crowds in Spring 2022. Likely a lot of people pushing off their trips until then.

Don't forget that a large chunk of "spring break crowds" in years past were international visitors. Canada and UK especially. You won't have those visitors this year unless borders open and travel restrictions / quarantine requirements ease by then - which they probably won't.

I'd be more worried about the crowds in Spring 2022. Likely a lot of people pushing off their trips until then.
Hmm, originally we were hoping on a 2022 trip the last or 2nd to last week in March. Perhaps we should go in the fall or Xmas season instead.

My kids go to boarding school and they will not have their typical two weeks off in March 2021. In exchange, they will be home from mid-December until probably February 1, with virtual classes resuming in mid-January. Some families I know are thinking of going to WDW in the first or second week of January.
That's prime flu season so that's kinda nice.

No changes to my daughters high school as far as the calendar goes (as of now) with a week off during the 2nd week of March still on. My son's college did not adjust their calendar like others did and have carried on with a "traditional" college calendar this semester and are planning on doing so again for 2nd semester which means he will have a week off in March as well.

In all honesty, it is going to be all over the board and to think what March will be like now is very hard to do. I have had many March trips to WDW and loved them all for different reasons, even with the crowds. I am betting that this year that crowds will be less, but so will your experience. I am not going to pay 100% of costs for 60% of value from WDW. To each their own, but it is not worth it to me and my family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter