I'm thinking of buying my 10yr old dd a digital .....

First-timer

DIS Veteran
camera for christmas.... anyone have a suggestions on a not so expensive and durrable one???? and easy to work??? thanks vicki

We bought our dd a Nikon Coolpix L4 for her birthday. It's in the $130 range and has 3x zoom and 4 mp, I believe. The only drawback I see with it is that it does not have a viewfinder, only an lcd, whch is probably what she'd use all the time anyway, so it's not a huge deal. It has a large variety of scene modes--individual and group portrait modes, beach and snow scenes, a bunch of different landscape modes, fireworks, etc. She's having a ball playing with all those.

For a kid, I think the key features are an lcd and optical zoom. We also bought an extended warranty that will provide replacement if she breaks it!

Hi,

I am in the same mode looking to get my daughter a camera. I have really been happy with the Canon Powershots. I have owned quite a few and currently have the A620. It has full auto control but also has manual control so she can grow with it. They are reasonably priced and fairly durable. The A620 and the A630 which is the newer model both have a flip in LCD so you can fold it in when not in use to protect it. A there are two lower models that are almos the same but have no flip out LCD but other than that are about the same.

Here are some links for you:

Canon A620 cost is $247.54

Canon A640 Cost is $264.95

Canon A540 Cost is $176.95

Canon A530 Cost is $129.99

All are in the same family with same basic set of features (minus the swivel LCD on the last 2) with the only real differences being megapixel count and the first 2 take 4 battries vs the second 2 take 2 batteries so shot to shot time will be a little stretched out.

You will need to buy memory cards and battery charger and batteries as well. I like either Sandisk or Lexar cards and I purchased an Energizer charger and Energizer NIHM batteries. The one I have is a rapid charger that takes 20 minutes but any AA charger and batteries will work but I would go with NIHM as they last longer.

I am in the same boat looking for a camera for dd (10). I too was looking at the Canon powershot A540 or A530. I think I'm going for the A540 because the LCD is so much bigger and it has more scene modes. Happy shopping!

Lynn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter