I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the fight.

That's the difference between security and security theatre I suppose. The thing is, they can afford to have an actual extensive security detail spread out in the parks (I don't mean 2 older gents in snazzy hats). This isn't a small family owned park, they don't get a pass because of cost.
I once saw a fight break out at Six Flags in NJ. Security was on it almost immediately and it was done in 2 minutes tops. The time that goes by here is just astounding.

Also probably wouldn’t be news if everyone didn’t have a cell phone on them.

But on the flip side, thankfully, because it was captured on cell phone, charges may now rightfully be laid, and hopefully CPS will be involved.

It took Security quite a while to show up. That surprised me.

Did it though? The full video is less than 4 minutes. Security is there around 3 minutes. We have no idea when someone actually called security, which may have been a minute or two. Knocking down the time to 1-2 minutes. Even if it was instant, a 2-3 minute response time in a large crowded theme park is pretty good. It's merely emotional perception skewing how long it seems.

It really didn't. Less than 4 minutes. By the time you account for it actually getting reported (which may have been a minute or two), their receiving the call, mobilizing and getting there through a large park full of people... It was actually pretty prompt.

Right. I mean, what do people expect, that there is a security officer every 10 feet like trash cans, ready to jump in on any trouble that may arise? That's not a theme park, it's a police state!

The fact is these incidents are not very common at all. There is no need to increase security because of it. They do their jobs, generally very well but there's no way to keep everyone on their best behavior.

What I really can't believe is how many people just stood there watching while two men punched women. The reaction these days is to stay and watch or record it. I know some bystanders eventually got involved, but how much does it take?

Right. I mean, what do people expect, that there is a security officer every 10 feet like trash cans, ready to jump in on any trouble that may arise? That's not a theme park, it's a police state!

Okay, throw her in the hole.

[/QUOTE]
What I really can't believe is how many people just stood there watching while two men punched women. The reaction these days is to stay and watch or record it. I know some bystanders eventually got involved, but how much does it take?
[/QUOTE]

The people fighting all knew each other. I wouldn't have jumped in. Domestic disputes can get ugly. You try to help and now all of them are fighting you.

View attachment 415714
Okay, throw her in the hole.

The people fighting all knew each other. I wouldn't have jumped in. Domestic disputes can get ugly. You try to help and now all of them are fighting you.

"But, Marge, I was a political prisoner!" ;)

I understand what you are saying about the domestic situation, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. A custodial worker jumped in and at least tried to diffuse it.

Last edited:

It was an unfortunate event. I'm not put off by the response time of security, there very well might have been someone there from minute 1, but would be foolish to step in solo. That is a quicker response time than you would get just about anywhere. It's more wise to call in backup with good accounting of the situation to the responders do not go in blind.

The "Disney security is everywhere" stuff is a myth that Disney happily lets perpetuate. They want people to feel safe and if everyone thinks people are in the woodwork who will jump out at the first sign of trouble they will act better. The reality is it is difficult to manage 65,000+ people in a theme park and they can only do so much. They can be in far off locations when stuff happens and not all staff in an area have a walkie to call for immediate help. People always say it happens so quietly that you don't notice. It doesn't. I have seen enough stuff happen at the parks and nobody does anything or magically appear to calm the situation. Everyone thinks when stuff happens and Disney is able to "keep it quiet" like the company can cover up anything, real conspiracy theory stuff.

Heck, I had someone tell me I was lying about something I saw because "no way Disney lets that happen in the park" LOL. People get too lost in the Disney bubble and hype. Usually that is okay, but we all know stuff gets stolen, fights happen, and people cause issues at Disney, be safe and smart.

Actually not a myth. They are everywhere. Doesn’t mean they are right on top of you 24/7. Still 3 minutes response time is pretty good.

There is a lot that happens quietly, and, yes, a lot they can keep secret.

Mouse fact checking...

I can only speak from my viewpoint knowing I/we would be there with kids. Neither DH or I would step in, as we're not risking ourselves with our kids there. On the flip side, neither would we have stood around and gawked either. I don't understand that. We would have walked away - our kids don't need to witness that. We also would have tried to find a security officer, and also likely would have called 911.

It was an unfortunate event. I'm not put off by the response time of security, there very well might have been someone there from minute 1, but would be foolish to step in solo. That is a quicker response time than you would get just about anywhere. It's more wise to call in backup with good accounting of the situation to the responders do not go in blind.

Very good point. Quite honestly, one guy against the brawling lot of them, wouldn't stand a chance.

I can only speak from my viewpoint knowing I/we would be there with kids. Neither DH or I would step in, as we're not risking ourselves with our kids there. On the flip side, neither would we have stood around and gawked either. I don't understand that. We would have walked away - our kids don't need to witness that. We also would have tried to find a security officer, and also likely would have called 911.

Very good point. Quite honestly, one guy against the brawling lot of them, wouldn't stand a chance.

Oh, I understand. Calling for assistance is at least helping and I certainly understand not wanting to jump in (one of those dudes was pretty big). Go for help, call, just generally get out of the way...but to stand there and watch? That's really uncalled for. I would think though that a few guys from that crowd would have stepped up - which they did once the one woman was knocked to the ground. That took a while though.

A lot of Disney's "undercover" security is probably attractions or merchandise managers that just happen to be nearby and call for regular security.

Plus, this happened in Toon Town which is a bottleneck so it wasn't like security could come from multiple directions when they got the call like they can in other areas of the park.

The "Disney security is everywhere" stuff is a myth that Disney happily lets perpetuate. They want people to feel safe and if everyone thinks people are in the woodwork who will jump out at the first sign of trouble they will act better. The reality is it is difficult to manage 65,000+ people in a theme park and they can only do so much. They can be in far off locations when stuff happens and not all staff in an area have a walkie to call for immediate help. People always say it happens so quietly that you don't notice. It doesn't. I have seen enough stuff happen at the parks and nobody does anything or magically appear to calm the situation. Everyone thinks when stuff happens and Disney is able to "keep it quiet" like the company can cover up anything, real conspiracy theory stuff.

Heck, I had someone tell me I was lying about something I saw because "no way Disney lets that happen in the park" LOL. People get too lost in the Disney bubble and hype. Usually that is okay, but we all know stuff gets stolen, fights happen, and people cause issues at Disney, be safe and smart.

One time my wife and I were in HS and someone sat on the bench next to us, left a backpack under it, got up and walked away. I immediately thought it was weird as hell so I took the bag to the nearest cast member. We were immediately approached by 4 plain clothed security cast members and were told they were actively running tests to see how long it would take other cast members to notice there was an unattended bag on the ground. After talking to them for a bit, their higher up supervisors came out too and gave us some fastpasses and thanked us for being alert and what not. Well needless to say, we did not do much that afternoon besides continue to watch this training lol.

Really, sadly, this wouldn't be news if it had happened just about anywhere else.
It would if it happened on a cruise ship or an airliner. They get as bad, if not worse, treatment by the press than themeparks.

after seeing the racist comments i was hoping no one would talk about it anymore
99% of the comments I’ve read are not racist in the slightest. People both black and white are disgusted by this family because of their actions not because of the color of their skin.
Yes, you may get an ignorant comment here or there but if this same thing happened with a white family as Disneyland the outrage would be exactly the same.

Security response time "feels" slow simply because the guy in red has the opportunity to mix it up with multiple people.

My larger concern is that security doesn't appear to do anything to restrain the main assailant. He is eventually wrestled to the ground by good Samaritans but is eventually let back up which gives him the opportunity to assault another person and is then still roaming around freely, threatening the good Samaritans. He should have been swarmed and restrained (ideally with some prejudice) by that point. That he wasn't is concerning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter