I'm so worried! (re: usair)

CRB#33

<font color=red>Completing His Good Work!<br><font
I booked flights from Philly to Orlando for April of next year about a week or so before USAir went bankrupt. Stupid me wasn't paying attention to the business section:rolleyes: , and I wanted to get my holiday flights booked well ahead of major increases in price. (Got them for $200).

Anyway, I know all I can really do is wait, but what if when January rolls around, they decide the company can't be saved. What happens to my tickets, my money, my vacation?:( Not only that, what happens to Philly airport? It is mostly a USAir hub!

Should I get back up tickets from another airline/airport? This is giving me an ulcer:rolleyes:

Needless to say, I'm not telling the children about this trip yet!

I also have tickets from Philly to Orlando via US Air.
We have one trip planned for 10/02 and another for 1/03.
I already have the tickets for October and will buy the January tickets within the next week or so.
I have confidence the US Air will survive, but if not, some other airline will probably honor their tickets.
To me it's worth it to take a chance rather than book a flight with several stops or to drive to BWI.
I figure it will all work out in the end. Besides, life is too short to worry about things I cannot control.:D

I wouldn't worry at all. We have tx for Feb (Presidents week) and we are not worried. US AIR will still be around next year and after that. I am sure you will be on those flights in April!!!!;)

Philadelphia is one of USAir's main hubs (the other 2 being Pittsburgh & Charlotte). I would not be worried. I live in Pittsburgh and it is constantly on the news. There has been no talk of them shutting down. The end of the line will probably be another airline taking them over. They have prized gates in the airports in the east. They are starting a fleet of low cost regional jets. Other airlines have flow in bankrupcy for years (most recently TWA before being taken over by American).

They are not in the vicinity of shutting down like that. Many airlines have survived on bankruptcy, in fact a few have done it a few times. If something should happen as long as you paid for it with a credit card you can always go back to the CC company and dispute it with them.

Look at it this way ... what was the last major airline to completely shut down? Probably Eastern, and that was back in 1990 or 1991. I'm not counting TWA (as DebbieB said, American took them over and absorbed them) or Pan Am (I think they're still around in some form, but it's a much smaller form), or smaller airlines like Vanguard.

If anything, US Airways would merge with or be taken over by another airline before they would completely fold.

I will probably be flying out of Philly for our May 2003 cruise, using US Air of course. I was wondering... what is the best ticket price you've received and how early did you book? I've been going crazy trying to figure this one out. Last May we flew US Air out of Philly for $644 (2 adults/2 kids, includes all fees and taxes). If I recall correctly we didn't book until March. I don't think I want to chance it by waiting so late again, but if I do I always have the option of flying out of Harrisburg, Pa or BWI. Any suggestions?

I'd be much more worried about your particular flight being cancelled or rescheduled. And if the flight is sold out or close to it, there's little chance of that.

I suggest checking your flight online at least once a week to make sure it's still there.

Hi all. Thank you so much, I do feel better. I guess, if I could of gotten past my worry, I would have realized these things. They make good sense.

Luckymommy-The most I have ever paid round trip is $269.00 and that is in 4 different trips, and the least was 159.00.

I don't think you'll be able to do better than what you paid. That's pretty good. I always book way ahead of time.

Thanks CRB#33! I will wait until after Labor Day before I even think of booking. The latest I'll wait is probably around Christmas. I'm keeping my eye open for the new schedules out of Harrisburg due to the expansion. I would really like to see a non-stop Orlando flight be added by at least one of the airlines. I haven't flown out of Harrisburg in about 10 years but every time I have in the past it has been great. Thanks again!:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter