I'm scared!!

it was also the first fairly warm weekend in PA

by august, you will be more used to the heat

eljojo-

Wow, what a coincidence. How old are your kids? I have DS (10 1/2), DD (almost 9) and DS (will be 8 the day before we leave in Sept.). We are staying LVC at the Polynesian and I can't wait. The kids don't know about the trip. They think it will be YEARS before we go back. I can't wait to see the look on their faces when we tell them in August.

I would have never done the hot weather when they were younger. Youngest DS hates the heat. He doesn't want to even do any of the summer camps because it will be "Too Hot".

I know exactly how you feel about taking them out of school. Last year we went in Nov. and they missed 7 days. They were in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grade. I would have to say that at least 30 minutes a day was spent on schoolwork. My kids are all great students so they had no problem catching up but I hated having to drag all that extra stuff with us. This year due to school construction my kids don't go back until Sept. 20th so it is a perfect time.

I have been to WDW 3 times in August before kids and I didn't think it was that bad. I think by then we are used to the summer heat. My oldest DS saw your thread and wants to know how they are coming with the new coaster at Hersheypark? We try to make a trip out there once every summer. He is hoping it will be open this summer. From the pictures I am not sure who he will get to ride this one with him!

I've been to WDW in February (HOT! Crowded), November (kind of least...hot during the day, cold at night....liked that.) and twice in September. The first time was beautiful, amazing, unbelieveable weather....the second (which was the first week of October, I remember as being much hotter). I guess you never can tell.

But my DH (before he was my DH)...his family knew exactly how to NOT plan a WDW vacation. They took eleven kids (they had a surprise party for their daughter and invited all her friends) for 3 or four days during 4th of July weekend. Their party total had over twenty people and they all insisted on sticking together. I'm surprised they even saw one park thoroughly. Tthat would have made me crazy.

Lisa 3 - My daughters are 16, 12 and 12. This will probably be our last Disney trip together (boo hoo) so we really wanted to make it special. We're staying at the BWI from 8/6-8/13 then doing a night at the Hard Rock hotel. I thought my kids would think they're too old for Disney (even though I'm not!) but they're all very excited. We'll get to do some things for older kids that we couldn't do when they were younger (ride the Mouseboats, go to the dance and comedy clubs at Downtown Disney etc). We were debating between the Poly, BWI and Beach Club, but chose the Boardwalk because of all the nightlife that my kids love at the beach. What week are you going?
Tell your son the new coaster will be open in May. They were testing it on Saturday - looks way scary for me, but I'm sure my kids will love it. The Great Bear is about as scary as I get! Someone there said that it looks like the Rock N Roller Coaster only outside, so we'll see. We haven't done that one yet! We were last at Disney in 1999, so we have a lot to catch up on!
Maybe we'll get really lucky in August and have a cold wave in Florida - 80's with low humidity - I know, I'm dreaming!!

I live in South Florida and although it does get very hot in the summer (esspecially july-oct) there are ways to stay cool. For one, most places you go will be AC. All resorts, restaurants, gift shops and other buildings are air conditioned. There are plenty of pools to go into. Also, always carry cold water and don't overexert yourself. Another thing, in the summer you almost always get an afternoon thunderstorm, so maybe for 30-45 minutes in the later afternoon it will cool down.

So although you are going to Florida in the hottest time of the year, you will have great weather and can stay cool. Even just not wearing dark clothes will help out a lot. If you are renting a car, stay away from black (my car is black and I can cook dinner in my car in the summer....even with AC on for a little while!).

Have a great vacation!! :earsboy:

August is an absolutley smoking hot and moist month in florida, I think its the worst month of all. At the same time, Ive been there in November and it was hot and muggy as well, but august is horrible in my opinion, but still, I'd take sweating my tail off at disney over cooling off at work any day!! If you cant handle 85 degrees, then your probably out of luck for much of the spring,summer and fall at Disney. just go and have fun. Youll live, trust me!!

My wife and I were there last summer (August) and are going back in July this year. It is definately hot and muggy but lots of water and a smart pace you're just fine. We love the change to hot coming from Wisconsin where the seasons are Almost winter, Winter, Still Winter, and Construction ! :earsboy:

Originally posted by FranP
It's hot in Pennsylvania and New Jersey over the summer too!!!

It can get pretty darn hot too in Michigan over the summer!

We were in WDW last year in April, June and August. Yes, August seems to be the hottest of the three, but it was bearable, but then again, I can tolerate the heat, I do better with hot weather than with cold.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter