I'm scared to pay OOP instead of having the dining plan

honeybunches

That sounds like a cat poster, but it's true
Update 7/15---- We added a day to our stay which wasn't available at CSR. We ended up booking CBR so we wouldn't have to do a split stay, and added the dining plan. Bonus -- it ended up being $1100 less even with the extra day! Thanks for all of the advice. Someday I"ll try OOP but probably when DH isn't traveling with me.

On our first 2 trips, we had the Deluxe plan. It was way too much food for us. We used the DDP for every trip after that, and it is perfect for us. I've always appreciated the DDP for the psychological freedom it gives us, and the fact that everything is paid for before we make the trip. A travel agent offered us a comparable room package (for CSR) that is about $2500 cheaper than the Disney package, but does not include the dining plan. Therefore, we'd have to pay for meals OOP. We do have another option that includes a dining plan, but it is at a different resort (CBR---have never stayed here before). The savings with the first plan would likely pay for our meals, but the truth is -- I'm scared to pay OOP and not rely on the DDP. Here are my main reasons:
  • We like having TS for dinner each evening.
  • We don't bring food with us to the parks or the hotel, so we usually eat QS or CS at the hotel.
  • This year my DD is considered an adult (11 y.o.) and she will likely choose adult meals. With the DDP she gets adult credits.
  • We don't usually share meals. We're all good eaters!
  • The only possible discount we have is the Disney VISA. We're not AP or TIW card holders. Also not FL residents or DVC.
  • My husband relaxes so much when he knows it's all paid in advance. If he knows we're paying OOP, I'm worried that he'll order a cheaper meal than he wants just because that's the way he is.
I used All Ears to figure up an estimate for our likely meal plan, which is rather difficult since some of the prices vary (specifically, buffet meals.) I went with the higher prices just to be safe, and it was about $2100 for our 10 day stay. Maybe I overestimated?

Am I crazy for considering annual passes instead of our 10 day park hoppers? It would be about $1000 more this year, but then tickets would be paid for another trip next year. Also could get TIW. Decisions!!!!

Knowing all of this --- I'd like advice about whether we should give OOP a try, or stick with our comfort zone. I'd also like to know if you have a similar experience and how it turned out for you. Thanks for any help or moral support you can offer!

Last edited:
I am doing OOP for the first time this trip. When I went by the menus to figure pricing, OOP will likely be more expensive for us, but so many always say DDP is a rip off. I am going to see for myself. We have never done deluxe dining, and I am sure I could go OOP cheaper with that plan. For the regular dining plan, I will be surprised if it works out cheaper OOP. I plan to use a credit card that we use on nothing but dining and snacks. That way if I lose a receipt or anything, I will have accurate numbers. I am actually kind of excited to try the experiment. :)

I'm wondering how long your vacation will be because if there's any way you guys can buy the TIW card, depending on the length of your stay, you'll make up the cost of membership with the 20% you save on both food and beverage. It's really the best and we find that it's an even better value than using the DDP. We just bought our new one a few hours ago at Magic Kingdom and they're good for 13 months; so it would be especially fabulous if you could squeeze in a second trip using it!

We paid OOP on our last trip and hated it! We didn't see a significant amount of savings but only did 2 TS the whole week. I felt like I was more stressed paying OOP. With the DDP we don't have to worry about how much it cost we just order! For us the DDP is worth it.

I'm wondering how long your vacation will be because if there's any way you guys can buy the TIW card, depending on the length of your stay, you'll make up the cost of membership with the 20% you save on both food and beverage. It's really the best and we find that it's an even better value than using the DDP. We just bought our new one a few hours ago at Magic Kingdom and they're good for 13 months; so it would be especially fabulous if you could squeeze in a second trip using it!
Is the OP a Florida Resident? Cause she indicated she isn't an AP holder.

Am I remember how TIW works incorrectly? Florida Residents or AP Holders only, right?

That said, if the OP qualifies, I think you hit the sweet spot! Get TIW, and don't sweat going OOP!

It's honestly what you feel comfortable with! One less thing to stress about. We have done both and prefer OOP as I don't like to feel like I need to fit all those table services in and can just go with the flow easier. Still have some ADRs but less then what we need for the DDP. I think trying OOP is a good thing to do once as you may find you like it more. But if it's stressing you out.... And of course it depends on the resort you have now and would have to change to for DDP. If you love where you are and don't want to change this may be the perfect chance to try OOP. Just make sure you take the cheque at the end of dinner before your husband. :p

We have always paid oop. I have never had the dining plan which is why I haven't tried a lot of the restaurants. The first time we went we stayed at the Poly and opted for the room discount. We paid oop for CRT. We ate at mamas too. My daughter was really sick so we did also eat at the qs in the Poly. My older daughter and I had ohana breakfast.

After that when we went back, we went offsite because it was more affordable and more room. It was a disaster dinner wise. We didn't know what we were doing and I wanted to make reservations but it was also a lax tourney for my oldest so we couldn't plan. We ended up going to the chain restaurants and papa johns(blah!). Then we went to Universal and I made dinner plans but it was much cheaper.

I want to go on the dining plan some point so I can experience it. It just is never offered when we go . We have five people so our options for resorts isn't huge. We go in August and saved over $1000 just staying offsite in the same condo we have rented in the past. We like the dining experience. So this time I am planning ahead and adding restaurants. I was in sticker shock! I couldn't believe that Boma was something like $40 pp! For the five of us we are talking $220! Not to mention the $50 lunches! I agree with you that people say it's a rip off...but I don't know!

We eat at Trex and I use the Landry select card so that is an inexpensive meal.(it's a must for my kids). Im in the process of planning now and just scratching my head.

Is the OP a Florida Resident? Cause she indicated she isn't an AP holder.

Am I remember how TIW works incorrectly? Florida Residents or AP Holders only, right?

That said, if the OP qualifies, I think you hit the sweet spot! Get TIW, and don't sweat going OOP!

DVC Members can buy it too! I hope the OP qualifies to purchase it!

You can always add the ddp as long as you are buying at least 2 days of tickets as part of your package. Our first trip we had a 35% room discount, and just added the plan on top of that. No reason to stress... if you really want the ddp, get it :-)

OP is going through a TA and cannot add the DDP through them. If It is the TA that I think it is, they are getting an awesome deal on the room rate.

OP, you will be fine! I think you may find that it isn't so bad paying OOP. A lot of times I don't want a full meal at dinner. Not being on a dining plan lets me sit my butt down in the A/C and order just an appetizer or just a dessert. My DS just turned 12yo yesterday and he still sometimes orders off the kids menu. If you still want the feeling of being prepaid, purchase a bunch of Disney Gift Cards to pay for food.

I agree with Bree! I use Disney Gift cards as my own version of a "dining plan" - I know about what will be ordered at every place I want to dine at Disney, plus snacks for the day. So I have paid in advance which keeps me happy and if I don't spend it all on meals and snacks I get to spend in on ME :)
I have done DDP, DxDP and no DP and I am content to do it the gift card way now.

I stopped doing the dining plan years ago. We used to do it when you got 3 TS (it wasn't deluxe back then) and you got an app instead of dessert and tip was included. When it went to 1 QS and 1TS and snacks we still got it for a couple of years but have found that we actually prefer not to be tied to it. I usually get the room only discount instead. I used to keep track of how much we spent but after a while it just didn't matter, for us the freedom of just snacking around the world if we wanted to or to eat two QS instead of a table service or get an APP but not dessert just made us happier. I always felt like I ate too much while on the plan. I'm not a big eater and more often than not will have a kids meal for breakfast and lunch and if we go to TS get two apps for my meal and maybe a dessert.

Thanks for the replies! Should have clarified --- we are staying 10 days. Not FL residents, and not DVC. I will update the orig post.

I am actually kind of excited to try the experiment. :)
I kind of want to experiment too. I think I will do it on a shorter trip though. Let me know how you do!

You can always add the ddp as long as you are buying at least 2 days of tickets as part of your package. Our first trip we had a 35% room discount, and just added the plan on top of that. No reason to stress... if you really want the ddp, get it :-)
Not with this TA deal though.

OP is going through a TA and cannot add the DDP through them. If It is the TA that I think it is, they are getting an awesome deal on the room rate.

OP, you will be fine! I think you may find that it isn't so bad paying OOP. A lot of times I don't want a full meal at dinner. Not being on a dining plan lets me sit my butt down in the A/C and order just an appetizer or just a dessert. My DS just turned 12yo yesterday and he still sometimes orders off the kids menu. If you still want the feeling of being prepaid, purchase a bunch of Disney Gift Cards to pay for food.

Yes, it is a great rate! I usually don't miss many chances to get a full meal, as my thighs can prove! if we do OOP, I a, definitely planning to get discounted gift cards in advance.

We prefer to pay out of pocket...we spend less, have more table service meals then we would get with the regular DP, we don't worry about wasting credits, we still order what we want and more importantly -- don't get things because they were included.

Since you ran the numbers you know you're likely going to save money. Taking advantage of discounted gift cards will yield even more savings.

I enjoyed the psychological benefit of our food being paid for, but really disliked all the desserts. When I go out to eat, I would much rather share one appetizer, and enjoy a meal. When paying OOP, I can do this without stressing over having to have a dessert because I "paid" for it. I buy discounted gift cards before my trips, and "pay ahead" using these cards. I use my MB and pay it off each night/morning at the front desk!

What's the price difference for getting one person an annual pass? Then you can get a TiW card, and it looks like you'll save $300 with that. And it looks like you're already saving $400 by not purchasing a dining plan. Remember that the 11 year old may be ordering adult meals, but she'd be charged adult prices for the plan, too.

Buy some gift cards up front if you feel better having all paid for. Charge the meals to your room and use the gift cards to pay off the room charges. Tell your husband to order whatever he wants with no restrictions because you have "a" dining plan; your own dining plan. I mean, saving $700 by foregoing the dining plan seems like a no-brainer.

What's the price difference for getting one person an annual pass? Then you can get a TiW card, and it looks like you'll save $300 with that. And it looks like you're already saving $400 by not purchasing a dining plan.

We have a state discount, $424 for 10 day park hopper + water park
Annual pass is $654, so $230 difference per person. We would definitely go back next year if we had annual passes.

Great idea about getting just one AP, thus qualifying for TIW.
I also wonder if tickets can be upgraded to AP's while at the park? We can do that here at Dollywood....

we still order what we want and more importantly -- don't get things because they were included.

I can do this without stressing over having to have a dessert because I "paid" for it.
See I never felt I had to get the dessert just because it was paid for. Occasionally , we passed on the dessert and paid OOP for an appetizer. Other times, we didn't want either an appetizer or a dessert. But pretty sure I read Disney is now allowing substitutes for dessert like soup or salad, so that makes it even better. I know not everyone likes the dining plan, but it always turns out pretty well for us. I keep a general track, but this time I am going to be very careful to keep track while I am OOP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter