• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

I'm scared to go to Disney World...!!

GrampaG you'll be fine and have a great time but it will be hot. We go every year towards the end of summer and it's hot. This year we are going earlier, same time as you.
As mentioned before, the Frogg towel is great. We were there in June in the heat and I had a small portable fan too. It's worn around the neck. There's more walking than you could ever imagine so I would consider a scooter even though you can walk fine.
Hit the parks early, take a mid day break and go back later. Go to extra magic hours if you're staying onsite. It's nice in the parks at night.
Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. I can't say how importent this is. I drink Gatoraide all day, it seems to help me more than just water.
Most importent, Have A Magical Time and let us know how it was.

about going in September is that the crowds are not that bad. We went last year over Labor Day and generally did not have to wait long at all. There are plenty of places to rest and relax throughout each park. Also,don't forget to take a rain poncho. It rains nearly every day during September - usually just a short downpour, but you don't want to walk around in wet or damp clothes.

Please go and enjoy yourself. My mom was in her late 70's and enjoyed every minute at the parks. Just keep well hydrated, wear a hat (she did always), take time to people watch and enjoy the magic. You'll be glad you did.:thumbsup2

Thanks to everyone here on Page 2 for their support.
As I said on Page 1, there are no better people than 'DISNEY' people...!!

My daughter has a 'Wait Times' app on her phone and it looks like the lines are very short at this time of year. It may be hot, but we shouldn't have to wait out in the heat for too long in the queues.
Besides, FastPass is our friend.

We're requesting 'Early Housekeeping' so that we can come back to the room at mid-day for a quick 'cool down' or a dip in the pool if needed.

The only 'Outside' day is Wednesday when we all go to Typhoon Lagoon. We'll be at the front of the line at 'rope drop' to grab a shady spot and I'll be lathering up with SPF 5000 that day...!!
;-)

Our departure is only a few hours away, and the weather for next week looks great.
In case of rain, we've each got our ponchos and zip-loc bags to put them in after the storm.

I'll be checking back in here with a 'Trip Report' in 2 weeks after we return.

Thanks again to all of you wonderful people.
Now, let the Magic begin....!!

:mickeyjum

<G>

So excited for you! Have a great time and enjoy spending time with your family.

If you are staying at a resort, it will be easy for you to take Disney transportation back to the hotel midday if you get too hot and the rest of the family wants to stay at the park. Be sure your family makes it to Rope Drop so that you are there in the mornings. You could schedule your day so you go in the morning, back to the hotel when it is hottest outside, and then back to the park in the evening.

Have fun!

GrampaG - Good for you for trying your best to be prepared! Hopefully this trip will be some of the best memories you all will hold on to dearly. I can't wait to hear how everything went/ is going. :goodvibes

GrampaG, You've received a lot of good advice so I'll just add that I turned 70at Disney this past August and it was hot and humid. I have a number of medical conditions and I worried about the heat. We went to the parks early making rope drop most of the time, lots and lots of water, we use the Brita bottles, lots of stops in shops and shows for the AC. You will have a great time. We did, we even met out first great grandchild on the trip.

I lived in Fl my whole life up until last year. So I think I can speak to your worries.

Yes it's hot and humid, but there are plenty of places to get out of the heat, take time to look at the maps of the parks, and plan your attack. Look for shows that are inside, and alternate with outside standing in line rides, once you get on the ride it will be air conditioned.

Talk to your family about your concerns. I will bet they have a plan in mind, and will be mindful of your health issue's.

Sunscreen is a must, and apply it before you leave the resort, it take about 30 for 45 min's for it to be able to do it's job. Use a sport's type, I suggest coppertone sports, as it does not come off when you sweat, carry a travel size along with you to reapply as needed.

Water is a must, but when you sweat you need to replenish electrolights(sp?)
We use the on the go gatorade packetts, just add to a bottle of water and your good to go. They do have powerade in the parks but just for me anyways is not as good, to help you rehydrate.

Most of all take a break, and know when to say I need a break.

I will taking my mom in Jan for her 70th birthday, and this is a surprise, and will be our first mom and daughter trip. I so look forwarding to reading your trip report.

Have a magically time and enjoy this time with your family. Let the Memories Begin:cloud9:

What a nice guy! I'm anxious to hear how it went. I've never been to WDW with my parents and probably never will unfortunately. I'm glad you're giving it a shot.

GrampaG said:
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to answer my post. I'm amazed at the speed, amount and quality of the replies in less than 3 days. Disney fans are truly what makes WDW 'The Most Magical Place On Earth'.

I've taken each of your tips and have begun putting them into action. For example:

I purchased a white, mesh-top cap along with several light-colored shirts.

I picked up a Frogg Togg towel and cut it into handkerchief-sized pieces: one will go around my neck under my shirt collar, and the other I'll fold and put inside the top of the cap to keep my dome cool.

I bought a Brita water bottle with the charcoal filter. (I've heard that Florida water has a unique 'flavor'). I checked the park maps and know where all the drinking fountains are located so I can keep the bottle full and ready. Although not all of the water fountains provide refrigerated water, the idea of asking for a cup of ice will take care of that. I'm sure none of the vendors will deny this old Grampa some ice in order to "take my medications".

Upon entering each Park, we'll scope out the location of the Medical Units 'just in case'.

Renting an ECV is an interesting idea. Although I'm still able to motivate quite well on my own, the 'scooter' sounds intriguing. But I'm afraid we'll all end up fighting over who's 'turn' it is to ride it...!!
;-)

Taking a mid-day break may end up being a daily rule for me. I could always leave the 'kids' to keep playing while I take the bus back to our Resort (on property) for a dip in the pool and a quick nap.

I've got a full head of hair which is a mixed blessing. I'm glad I still have my silver mane and I'm not complaining, but at times it's like wearing a wool cap..!! So, the week before the trip, I'll be getting it cut very short.

Thank you again for your expertise and I'll be sure to leave a note here when I get back to let you know how I fared. I can honestly say that after reading your posts, I'm anxious to get going, but no longer anxious about being there. (I think you know what I mean).

Thanks...!!!!

GrampaG
<>

I rent an ECV due to back surgery and a damaged sciatic nerve that makes my leg go numb at times. I also have high BP and other issues. The tips that were given area ll great advice. The most important one that I can give is rent the ECV. There are times when I can walk and want to walk, so I let others drive it. When I start to hurt or leg begins to feel funny, I get back on and ride. You will have an enjoyable trip, I am sure.

I'M BACK...!!!

As promised, here's my trip report....

The trip was WONDERFUL.....thanks to a cold front that had moved in on Monday which kept the temps in the 'cool' 80's. The only day that was 'brutal' was Sunday when I just couldn't stop perspiring. But my Brita bottle and the chamois-type towels provided some relief.
Even the Disney 'Cast Members' said that it's usually hotter this time of year. So, it appears that I got lucky.

In addition, I picked up a "Guest Assistance Card" for my bad knees & shortness of breath which allowed me to use the ramps instead of the steps leading to some of the 'Attractions' such as 'Toy Story Mania'.
I also used it for seating at 'Lights, Motors, Action' so that I didn't have to climb the steps to the bleacher-type bench seating. We also asked for (and got) rooms on the first floor at the Caribbean Beach Resort and seating on the first floor for the "Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue".

We really took advantage of the FREE Dining Plan. I got to try many foods from other Countries in the 'World Showcase' that I would normally not get to experience. Delicious...But I think I gained 10 pounds...!!

I got a wonderful surprise the day we all went to "Typhoon Lagoon". Since we were going to be exposed to the hot sun all day, my wonderful daughter had opted for one of the new 'Beachcomber Shacks'. (She's such a good girl..!!). It's a bit pricey, but if you decide it's something you'd like to add for a special treat, be sure to get Shack number 9. It's in the perfect spot next to the giant wave pool with a short walk to Castaway Creek, rest rooms, etc. And, it's private.

Our 'attendant' couldn't do enough for us. He checked back every half hour to see if we needed anything and got us our food, drinks, towels etc. The amazing thing is that they're not allowed to accept tips...!! Something about their chain of command and which branch of Disney that they work for. He certainly deserved a 'tip' since he was with us all day and did a lot more than other service people. So on our way out, we stopped at the ticket building and filled out a 'Guest Comment Card' praising our attendant. Perhaps someone in authority will see it and give our guy some recognition.

So, once again, a great big THANK YOU to all of you for your excellent advice which helped make my visit one to remember.

And as Arnold would say...."I'LL BE BACK...!!"

<G>

So Wonderful you had a great trip! I have been watching for an update from you. Thanks for letting us know!!

Welcome home.

Nice to know about the beach shacks at typhoon lagoon. We are disappointed it will be closed our upcoming trip. Now I can perhaps justify spending the extra to get a shack. ;)

You had a great time. I'm glad that you didn't let your fears keep you from having a good time. Disney is a magical place!

so glad you had a great trip its never too late to become addicted to visiting the parks.

Do you now have a favourite ride/attraction?

So glad that the super people on these message boards had helped to reduce your concerns so that you could enjoy yourself.

Everyone at Disney is great - but sounds like you found some wonderful cast members.

Shezzy

That's great to hear! You deserve it. I'm glad your daughter obviously took your concerns and conditions into consideration.

.....its never too late to become addicted to visiting the parks.

You're right. It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
I may be old, but I refuse to grow up...!! :yay:

Do you now have a favourite ride/attraction?

There are so many to choose from. Selecting just one is quite difficult, as you can imagine.

I was apprehensive about 'Space Mountain' and 'Rock n' Roller Coaster' so I passed on those, but I did have a blast on 'Thunder Mountain'.

And my daughter and I conquered 'Tower of Terror' together. The scars on my arm from where she was grabbing me and screaming are almost healed now. :scared:

My only regret is that 'Test Track' was shut down. But that leaves me a great reason to go back for more...!!

<G>

GrandpaG - I am so happy to read you had a great trip :) Thank you for letting us know it was great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter