• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I'm running the WDW Marathon Jan 2012! Who is with me??

Oops - I often write in acronym then convert... this got by - CHO = carbohydrate. Essentially, I would suggest journaling your intake. The goal is to bring carbs down to 50% of your overall intake…. Even then, making sure the carbs on the plate are not processed. I swear that is an easy 10-20 lbs. for most of us.

ah, carbohydrate! got it! i have started journaling my food and am starting a non processed food diet tomorrow (i'm giving up processed foods for lent). i just got back from my endocrinologist (i have insulin resistance) and he really made me feel like a porker. i weighed in today at 140. i am 5'4". my BMI is 24 which puts me in the normal range but he basically said i need to drop 10 lbs to really be a good weight. ugh. nothing like being TOLD to lose weight to make you want to eat a pizza.

I ran the 1/2 about 20 minutes slower than my first 1/2 marathon because of stops for character pictures. I think the waiting in line helped keep me from getting too sore, plus I walked around Epcot and wore compression socks the rest of the day. I was hardly sore on monday morning! My goal is simply to finish both races, so if I have to walk 1/2 the marathon because I'm out of gas, I will!

that's great! i'm going to google compression socks now. you are SO gonna finish both races! i'm so jealous that you weren't sore. i walked around afterwards too but since it was my first race maybe i just wasn't used to that much movement! plus i had the WORST blisters.

that's great! i'm going to google compression socks now. you are SO gonna finish both races! i'm so jealous that you weren't sore. i walked around afterwards too but since it was my first race maybe i just wasn't used to that much movement! plus i had the WORST blisters.
Compression socks are amazing! I wear them on my long runs, then put on a clean pair after I shower.
I'm assuming my pace was the main reason I wasn't sore after this race, and the fact that I didn't stop moving after the race. I was so sore after my first 1/2. I'm running another one in a few weeks, and I'm hoping for a PR. I'll be anxious to see how I feel after that race. I got some blisters too, but I didn't feel them when I was running. I had to wear cozy socks and my crocs last week while my feet were on the mend.

...i trained only up to 10 miles for the half. that seemed ok for me. my goal in this marathon is to finish. time doesn't really matter. with a 2:22 half time, not sure what kind of time i'm looking at for a full? certainly not just twice that amount. more like twice plus..what? half hour? dunno.

You can check out your anticipated pace here: McMillan Pace Calculator. It looks to me like you will be aiming for an under 5 hour full. To me that is awesome! You have plenty of time for photos too!
:) :cheer2: :cheer2:

You can check out your anticipated pace here: McMillan Pace Calculator. It looks to me like you will be aiming for an under 5 hour full. To me that is awesome! You have plenty of time for photos too!

McMillian works well, I would put 4:50 as your goal time and then feel free to move back a corral on race morning if your training does not support the time. Note that before you put too much faith in McM there is an assumption that your mid week runs are more than 'running' That is you are doing speed work and hills. I would think a realistic goal is 5:10

For a first timer I would have three goals.

1. Finish
  2. Finish Upright
  3. Finish with a smile

For Disney I would run the first half at a conservative training pace, miles 13 (Bear Island Road) through 22 at a training pace; or at a pace you can work from on race day... Then go for your time once you come up the hill off of World Drive and turn right onto Buena Vista. From there its Studios, Sidewalk, Boardwalk, Worldwalk and home

WARNING! WARNING! Once you run the full, Goofy is the only logical next step.

My first distance race was the Disney full and once I finished I SWORE I would never run a full again. By Tuesday I was signing up for Goofy.

Don't say I didn't warn you!

Duane

:cool1:I am in for the Full finally, got to make the major jump. Doing the first full in the Marine Corps Marathon this OCTOBER in DC. Then here I come for my first full at DISNEYWORLD. It is going to be awesome running through all 4 parks. pirate:

Race for the Taste 2008
Tower of Terror 2008, 2009
Disney 1/2 Marathon 2009, 2010, 2011
Wine and Dine Half Marathon 2010
Mard Gras 1/2 Marathon 2009, 2010, 2011
Jazz Half Marathon, New Orleans 2010

My first distance race was the Disney full and once I finished I SWORE I would never run a full again. By Tuesday I was signing up for Goofy.

Duane

I already want to run Goofy but I worried about doing it without doing a full first.

I just checked out your blog and I really enjoyed reading your story from the princess! I have a very similar story from the WDW Half (http://www.990square.com/2011/01/walt-disney-world-half-marathon-2011/) It will be fun virtually training together!

as soon as i finish this response i'm headed to your race report! can't wait to virtually train with you!!

Compression socks are amazing! I wear them on my long runs, then put on a clean pair after I shower.
I'm assuming my pace was the main reason I wasn't sore after this race, and the fact that I didn't stop moving after the race. I was so sore after my first 1/2. I'm running another one in a few weeks, and I'm hoping for a PR. I'll be anxious to see how I feel after that race. I got some blisters too, but I didn't feel them when I was running. I had to wear cozy socks and my crocs last week while my feet were on the mend.

i think i need new shoes as well. the blisters were the killers. i have running socks but want compression ones now!!

how cool is this thing!? too bad it doesn't run for you! lol!

McMillian works well, I would put 4:50 as your goal time and then feel free to move back a corral on race morning if your training does not support the time. Note that before you put too much faith in McM there is an assumption that your mid week runs are more than 'running' That is you are doing speed work and hills. I would think a realistic goal is 5:10

For a first timer I would have three goals.

1. Finish
  2. Finish Upright
  3. Finish with a smile

For Disney I would run the first half at a conservative training pace, miles 13 (Bear Island Road) through 22 at a training pace; or at a pace you can work from on race day... Then go for your time once you come up the hill off of World Drive and turn right onto Buena Vista. From there its Studios, Sidewalk, Boardwalk, Worldwalk and home

looks like i need to look at a map of the course. so far with my running i basically go two speeds: stop and go. i don't really have any different speeds other than the slow one i get when i'm tired. i suppose more training is definitely in order for me.

5:10. wow. that sounds...dunno...exhausting!

Duane

omg duane, i don't know about goofy. then again, i thought i'd never want to do a full marathon. and as soon as that princess medal was around my neck i knew i needed the mickey one!

:cool1:I am in for the Full finally, got to make the major jump. Doing the first full in the Marine Corps Marathon this OCTOBER in DC. Then here I come for my first full at DISNEYWORLD. It is going to be awesome running through all 4 parks. pirate:

the thrill of going through MK and Epcot was so awesome! i can't wait to go to the other parks. it *almost* made the boredom of the highways in between the two parks manageable!

I already want to run Goofy but I worried about doing it without doing a full first.

loved your report! and we had the same time! 2:20! so cool.

990sq ft. is it sad that i'm jealous of your big house? my house here in the bronx is only 800 sq. ft! lol!

loved your report! and we had the same time! 2:20! so cool.

990sq ft. is it sad that i'm jealous of your big house? my house here in the bronx is only 800 sq. ft! lol!

I think you're the first person to every be jealous of my "big" house! :rotfl2: Most people normally say "really, you live in this place? It's tiny!

It is very cool that we have the same time!

dumbo buddy ~ Are you doing any upcoming NYRR races?

i'm not signed up for any but i am interested in joining nyrr and running some races. i'd like to do the bronx half. i have to represent the boogie down! :)

I think you're the first person to every be jealous of my "big" house! :rotfl2: Most people normally say "really, you live in this place? It's tiny!

It is very cool that we have the same time!

yeah, i live in the tiniest house ever. but it's mine!

i haven't done much running in the last week or so. i'm feeling like poo with a cold so waiting til i'm feeling better to hit the streets again.

i'm trying to realistically plan my base training until it's time to get into the real training. it's hard to get in the runs with a little guy. once the weather is nice i'll be able to take him out in the jogger. looking forward to it :)

Most likely doing my first full at WDW 2012, after about 18 Halfs and a few more, I think my Full is due. Plus, doing a full is on my bucket list!

In case you didn't see, there was a code for $20 off marathon registration at the bottom of the email Disney sent talking about princess race results!

I hope they send out the codes for folks who ran in January soon! That means it's decision time...marathon or goofy!

Cool! I've been really happy with it so far! :D

that's great to hear. the only drawback for me is that it's not all that easy to get down to central park on the weekends. i could take the express bus i suppose it's just annoying b/c on the weekends it only runs on the hour or half hour. anyway, i think signing up for the races is good motivation to keep going and good practice for the disney ones. i'm sightly "afraid" of other runners though if that makes sense. i'm such a beginner that i get a little intimidated.

Most likely doing my first full at WDW 2012, after about 18 Halfs and a few more, I think my Full is due. Plus, doing a full is on my bucket list!

raceytracy! it would be great to complete a first full marathon with you! a full is on my bucket list too and what better place to do it than disney :)

In case you didn't see, there was a code for $20 off marathon registration at the bottom of the email Disney sent talking about princess race results!

oh, nice! i missed that. i'll need as many coupons and discounts as possible since this race is not exactly cheap!

I hope they send out the codes for folks who ran in January soon! That means it's decision time...marathon or goofy!

i can't imagine going goofy but who knows how i'll feel after finishing the full next year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter