I'm really upset

rt2dz

DIS Veteran
I feel so sad, like there is a hole in my heart. Our dog just died. Well, she died in the middle night and we found her this morning around ~6:30 AM.

Our 14yo lab died this past spring and Sutton was pretty depressed for awhile. Before Kenzie died, we had already been considering a puppy; the kids had been begging and it was obvious Kenzie wasn't going to be around that much longer. So we got a puppy at the beginning of summer. Sutton perked up once we got the puppy, but then started suddenly not doing so hot. Not sick, just slowing down (no more 3 mile walks) and going very gray.

Then she suddenly became ill and started losing hair. Of course, we immediately took her to the vet. She had an infection was put on medication. The infection cleared right up. And because of her age, to be on the safe side, they ran every test under the sun. This was just 3 weeks ago.

When we took her to the vet in March, it was a new vet in the office, and he was floored at how old she was (11 years) because she was in such great shape all around. Looked young, acted young, very healthy. He asked me if the age was right. I told him she was a rescue and really could be older. When we got her, they told us she was a year. When I took her to the vet for the first time, he said anywhere between 1 year and 3 years. She just always seemed so young I counted her at one year and upped her age on her adoption date.

Anyhow, last night she got sick. Dogs can get sick and I was going to take her to the vet this morning at 9 when they opened. She was throwing up every so often. She wanted to go outside and stay; she did not want to come in. DH said he came into the house at 1 or 2 AM and said he slept by the door so he would hear her when she wanted in. He woke up this morning and realized she never wanted to come in. He went outside, and in her favorite spot to lay in the yard, she was dead.

I just feel so bad for not taking her to the emergency vet. I just didn't think it was an emergency. This seemed to come out of nowhere. I really thought she'd be around 2-3 more years. And the kids are devastated. They still hadn't gotten over the death of our other lab.

I just had to get this out somewhere.

I am so sorry, please don't beat yourself up over the what ifs. It sounds like she was older and sick, and she got to pass in her favorite spot and not a cold vet office. please remember all the good times with her and that you rescued her and gave her a long happy good life
:hug:

I'm very sorry. I know what it is like to lose a pet. But I don't think you have anything to feel bad about. You read the situation as best you could and made your decision based on that. You didn't do anything wrong. A diffrerent decision may not have yielded a different result. Just know that you gave her the best life she could have had (and a very long one at that) and be happy for that. I don't think you could have given her any better.

Maybe it's now time to get another puppy so the new little one can have a playmate.

In time the sadness will fade for all of you.

:hug:

we're hitting this point right now with one of ours. it's so hard, she's also declined quite quickly in the past 6 months and I know it's a matter of time.

Even with the emergency vet, it may have happened anyway. Sometimes, it's just their time. hugs going out to you and your family

rt2dz said:
She wanted to go outside and stay; she did not want to come in. DH said he came into the house at 1 or 2 AM and said he slept by the door so he would hear her when she wanted in. He woke up this morning and realized she never wanted to come in. He went outside, and in her favorite spot to lay in the yard, she was dead.
This is how every pet owner with an elderly, failing pet wishes they would go.

So hard it was a shock, but going to the vet probably wouldn't have made a difference but more importantly, she would not have then been in her favorite spot at home with people who loved her.

What a lucky dog she was. :goodvibes I'm so sorry for your loss.

I'm so sorry. It is never easy no matter how old they are or what their condition. Just know that you gave her a really good life and she is in a great place now. I have to believe they will both be waiting for you someday. That's how I think about all of my dear pets who have crossed over.

Oh gosh - I'm so sorry -

I know it is easier said than done right at this moment but everyone is right when they stated not to beat yourself up about this - You did what you thought was best at the moment -

Hang in there - :hug:

:hug: We lost our Harry about a year ago now. Wow I can't believe it's been a year. I still cry about him. I miss him terribly. For some reason I took it way harder than the kids. I think it was because we got him right after I had my first child. He was almost 14- a long life for a bulldog. We were blessed to have him.
Oh and we had gotten a puppy too- and then guess what happened. Puppy was lonely and missing harry so we ended up with another dog!:eek:

So we now have a lab and a frenchie.

I am so sorry for your loss. She's waiting for you at the rainbow bridge.

It is so sad to lose a pet. Best wishes and hugs to you, from a fellow pet lover.:grouphug:

:hug: :hug: :hug:

I am so sorry for your loss. The loss of a dear pet is a unique pain all unto itself. Please know that there are many here who know exactly how you feel and will be sending prayers your way for comfort and many happy memories.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter