I'm really starting to dislike TSA folks....

Just realize that you can still be randomly selected for a more thorough screening.

Since my husband and I have gotten Global Entry (2011), we have each been 100% on getting PreCheck and not having to go through the regular check point - we each fly monthly or more.

Shouldn't it be more concerning when TSA doesn't follow their guidelines like they should? I've gone through the ringer with several TSA agents in multiple airports for having medical equipment and medications. I'd rather go the extra mile and feel safe.
It's a safe bet if you're wearing a lose layer or something with a zipper you'll be asked to remove it, don't wait to remove it. Just take it off when you get in line. If you fly frequently you should know the expectations even if TSA may not make you follow them, just do it and avoid hassling the Agents and the people around you.
TSA Precheck is a blessing especially when you travel out of the country, it makes customs coming back a breeze! And i have yet to get a flight without it! And all my companions also get the TSA when I associate my flight with theirs.

Since my husband and I have gotten Global Entry (2011), we have each been 100% on getting PreCheck and not having to go through the regular check point - we each fly monthly or more.

The point is that you potentially still may not get it. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

Shouldn't it be more concerning when TSA doesn't follow their guidelines like they should? I've gone through the ringer with several TSA agents in multiple airports for having medical equipment and medications. I'd rather go the extra mile and feel safe.

TSA has never stopped a malicious attack. They are just there for the illusion of security.

For your enjoyment at TSA's expense:

TSA Precheck is a blessing especially when you travel out of the country, it makes customs coming back a breeze! And i have yet to get a flight without it! And all my companions also get the TSA when I associate my flight with theirs.

TSA Pre check has nothing to do with going through customs and immigration. You are talking about Global Entry.

Because TSA is so darn inconsistent, I only do things that are specifically communicated at the checkpoint. Well OK, I do divest myself of keys, coins and other metal. ;)

Routinely removing hoodies, heavy sweaters etc. is really unnecessary.

It's a safe bet if you're wearing a lose layer or something with a zipper you'll be asked to remove it, don't wait to remove it. Just take it off when you get in line. If you fly frequently you should know the expectations even if TSA may not make you follow them, just do it and avoid hassling the Agents and the people around you.
Sure, but...you are never, ever going to meet anyone who is more pleasant or understanding when it comes to going through security. But....when you have the same experience 3 times in a row, you tend to believe that is the policy! So, when the time comes that you are told to do something completely different? it's disconcerting. Again, especially when you're basically in your underwear. Many young women wear cami's as their underwear. My dd can't..she has to wear a bra (not going any further with that line of explanation!!!!). It's underwear...plain and simple. Should she have dressed better? Yes, but she dressed based on all her previous experiences. No one hassled anyone else...other than the TSA agent making my dd feel stupid for not having the saline out to begin with. She has been told repeatedly that it just has to be declared, not removed!!!

Does anyone seriously think that someone is going to be bringing something in, under their hoodie, that is going to be dangerous? I mean seriously.....it wouldn't be picked up when it went through the scanner? That's scary. If you can fit something beneath your hoodie, you can fit it under your blouse.

Consistency and attitude.

Sure, but...you are never, ever going to meet anyone who is more pleasant or understanding when it comes to going through security. But....when you have the same experience 3 times in a row, you tend to believe that is the policy! So, when the time comes that you are told to do something completely different? it's disconcerting. Again, especially when you're basically in your underwear. Many young women wear cami's as their underwear. My dd can't..she has to wear a bra (not going any further with that line of explanation!!!!). It's underwear...plain and simple. Should she have dressed better? Yes, but she dressed based on all her previous experiences. No one hassled anyone else...other than the TSA agent making my dd feel stupid for not having the saline out to begin with. She has been told repeatedly that it just has to be declared, not removed!!!

Does anyone seriously think that someone is going to be bringing something in, under their hoodie, that is going to be dangerous? I mean seriously.....it wouldn't be picked up when it went through the scanner? That's scary. If you can fit something beneath your hoodie, you can fit it under your blouse.

Consistency and attitude.
The scanners don't always do well with bunched clothing. I had a blazer on once that they let me keep on but when I went though the scanner the entire small of my back had a box around it and they had to check that I didn't have anything there (and since that actually is a common place to keep a small gun)

The other one that gets flagged often is if my hair is being really frizzy/poofy that day my pony tail is sometimes big enough to flag in the scanner.

Sometimes polite compliance doesn't do the trick. The meek do not always inherit...

Here's my favorite "WTH" experience with TSA. I'm not a squeamish person about being shoeless (outdoor barefooter from way back), so for the sake of expediency, I routinely take off my shoes and put them in my carryon bag before going through security. One day, I experienced the following exchange:

TSO: Where are your shoes?
Me: In my carryon bag.
TSO: That's not acceptable, they need to go through in a bin.
Me: OK, but I have three pairs of shoes in my carryon; can I put them all in one bin, or do I need to use three?
TSO: No, only one pair of shoes in one bin; leave the others in the bag.
Me: Really?
TSO: Ma'am; we only want to have one pair of shoes out of the bag; the ones you wore into the airport.

That was TSA Kabuki theater at it's finest. If it is really necessary to put shoes in a bin in order to see them clearly, then in stands to reason that ALL of the shoes you are carrying need this level of scrutiny. What on earth would stop a shoe-bomber from switching shoes once he or she was airside? Answer: Nothing at all. The whole shoe-scanning thing is a total red herring designed to pacify the gullible.

TSA Precheck is a blessing especially when you travel out of the country, it makes customs coming back a breeze! And i have yet to get a flight without it!

Global Entry. That got you Pre, but it's GE that gets you breezily back into the country.

And all my companions also get the TSA when I associate my flight with theirs.

Lucky! That doesn't tend to happen with us.

TSA has never stopped a malicious attack.

True. And I'm not sure that anything "they" did nearly 14 years ago would have been stopped if they had TSA then. IMO the biggest thing they had was *conviction* that what they were doing should be done, combined with fellow passengers not knowing or expecting something like it.

My brother was ranting that even the whole "you can carry an empty water bottle through and fill it post-security" thing puts a lie to our needing to keep liquids under 100ml. Because the empty bottle gives us a container to mix all those 100ml bottles of liquid. I hadn't thought about it that way.

It's underwear...plain and simple.

Ah, well, I routinely wear Old Navy camisoles to yoga class and to lift weights in. So for me they are clothing.

The other one that gets flagged often is if my hair is being really frizzy/poofy that day my pony tail is sometimes big enough to flag in the scanner.

Wow!

I don't do the nekkid scanner. I'm fine being patted down and always allow myself extra time just in case. At least they don't get confused by hair.

TSO: Ma'am; we only want to have one pair of shoes out of the bag; the ones you wore into the airport.

LOL. I would be that that one is so they can see if the shoes you were wearing have "residue" on them. Of course, you could EASILY switch out those shoes when you step in the building, when you are in your car, etc etc.

My brother and his wife enjoy their time at the shooting range, and because they fly often they now have a uniform they wear for the range. Same shoes, same pants, etc. Those items do not get worn for anything else.

DH once took a walk through a maintained, kept-up, park in Mexico City the day of his flight. He got MEGA checked at security there. They took away his shoes (which tested positive for something), swabbed his hands, which also tested positive...the guard realized why when DH politely mentioned that they had, of course, just had him take off his shoes and hand them to the guard, which of course means he touched his shoes with his hands and therefore his hands would have whatever his shoes had on them. Since DH doesn't shoot, and definitely doesn't do so in Mexico City LOL, he realized that there must have been some chemical in what they were using in the park, that triggered the alarm there.

Here's my favorite "WTH" experience with TSA. I'm not a squeamish person about being shoeless (outdoor barefooter from way back), so for the sake of expediency, I routinely take off my shoes and put them in my carryon bag before going through security. One day, I experienced the following exchange:

TSO: Where are your shoes?
Me: In my carryon bag.
TSO: That's not acceptable, they need to go through in a bin.
Me: OK, but I have three pairs of shoes in my carryon; can I put them all in one bin, or do I need to use three?
TSO: No, only one pair of shoes in one bin; leave the others in the bag.
Me: Really?

That was TSA Kabuki theater at it's finest. If it is really necessary to put shoes in a bin in order to see them clearly, then in stands to reason that ALL of the shoes you are carrying need this level of scrutiny. What on earth would stop a shoe-bomber from switching shoes once he or she was airside? Answer: Nothing at all. The whole shoe-scanning thing is a total red herring designed to pacify the gullible.

That would be the height of ridiculousness!!! I've never thought about it but I've also had addtl shoes in my carry on bag.

As far as my dd's cami being underwear? Sure, she does wear just that around the house. Sometimes even outside, depending on where it is she's going. The issue? She is a pretty well endowed young woman...so even with a bra on underneath the cami, it's still pretty revealing. That was her rational as she dressed. I highly doubt she'll be wearing that outfit when she returns to the country in 3 months!!!! I think she's learned her lesson.

That would be the height of ridiculousness!!! I've never thought about it but I've also had addtl shoes in my carry on bag.

As far as my dd's cami being underwear? Sure, she does wear just that around the house. Sometimes even outside, depending on where it is she's going. The issue? She is a pretty well endowed young woman...so even with a bra on underneath the cami, it's still pretty revealing. That was her rational as she dressed. I highly doubt she'll be wearing that outfit when she returns to the country in 3 months!!!! I think she's learned her lesson.

At least the return security will not be TSA.
Based on the following post, and reports from many others, you might want to suggest she avoid a pleated skirt.

The scanners don't always do well with bunched clothing. I had a blazer on once that they let me keep on but when I went though the scanner the entire small of my back had a box around it and they had to check that I didn't have anything there (and since that actually is a common place to keep a small gun)

Those examples are no surprise. The Germans tested those machines and found the results were 54% false positives. TSA never tested similarly. That's what happens when a government agency buys a product represented by a former honcho of that same agency. There has been that revolving door between the agency and the industry.

At least the return security will not be TSA.
Based on the following post, and reports from many others, you might want to suggest she avoid a pleated skirt.

Those examples are no surprise. The Germans tested those machines and found the results were 54% false positives. TSA never tested similarly. That's what happens when a government agency buys a product represented by a former honcho of that same agency. There has been that revolving door between the agency and the industry.

The only people I have found that like the new scanners are those with metal in their body that used to set off the metal detectors every time. My mom is one of these. Her fake knee would set the metal detectors off... but she can use the scanner, which means even if she gets a false positive or two she still got less of a pat down

The only people I have found that like the new scanners are those with metal in their body that used to set off the metal detectors every time. My mom is one of these. Her fake knee would set the metal detectors off... but she can use the scanner, which means even if she gets a false positive or two she still got less of a pat down

My prosthetic shoulder prevents my from getting into exactly the position. A fair amount of the time the screener has to feel my armpit. :crazy2: (The reason I request a glove change anytime a screener wants to touch my or anything other than the outside of my possessions.) It's interesting that I seldom alarm the WTMD although when I do that involves a full body grope. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter