I'm not enjoying this 7 year old phase

fly girl

DIS Veteran
:headache: :sad: :scared1: I wanna scream!!

In the past month my child has gone from a pretty good kid (sure she has her days, as all of us do) to a dramatic diva.

The last three or four weekends we have had complete meltdowns over not getting her way. The meltdowns always start from wanting to stay outside vs. coming inside. And believe me she had plenty of time outside, over 4 hours today. I love her being outside and playing, but I need to get things accomplished too. I don't give in, I wish to God she would get that. But no, we are doing this phase and it is feeling like an ETERNITY!!

And wish me luck, her behavior tonight just got her grounded from going outside tomorrow. Yeah, this is gonna be fun. :crazy2: OY!!

I need a glass of wine. I'm over this 7 year old testing phase. Over it I tell you!!

...anyone go through this with a 7 year old so I don't feel alone? As my husband is away at work I am singing, "All By Myself."

Hon, all I can really say is that I "wished away" practically every phase of my DS's childhood - I definitely feel you. But now that he is 18, I find that:
a) the kinds of difficulties we have to navigate with him now are SOOOO much harder than anything when he was little and;
b) I am very nostalgic - to the point of weepy sometimes - missing his little boy sweetness, regardless of what a brat he was :p.

:hug: Try to hang on to the knowledge that this stage will be past soon, just like potty-training and first year of school jitters. Time really does fly by so fast...:flower3:

Last edited:
I know it will pass, I just never saw this coming. She only threw 1 tantrum when she was 3 years old (yes, I was really lucky) so I guess I am getting my payback now. My 6 year old sweetie pie did a 180 and is now attempting 7 year old complete freedom. lol.

I should be thankful she is a happy, smart, well adjusted kid ... and I am. But I will be annoyed for a little while longer. ;)

:headache: :sad: :scared1: I wanna scream!!

In the past month my child has gone from a pretty good kid (sure she has her days, as all of us do) to a dramatic diva.

The last three or four weekends we have had complete meltdowns over not getting her way. The meltdowns always start from wanting to stay outside vs. coming inside. And believe me she had plenty of time outside, over 4 hours today. I love her being outside and playing, but I need to get things accomplished too. I don't give in, I wish to God she would get that. But no, we are doing this phase and it is feeling like an ETERNITY!!

And wish me luck, her behavior tonight just got her grounded from going outside tomorrow. Yeah, this is gonna be fun. :crazy2: OY!!

I need a glass of wine. I'm over this 7 year old testing phase. Over it I tell you!!

...anyone go through this with a 7 year old so I don't feel alone? As my husband is away at work I am singing, "All By Myself."

Sorry, but you'd better start enjoying this phase, and get over to her that 'I'm the mommy, that's why'!! Those years were a piece of cake! LOL

The 'teen' years will be your big trial! :eek:

I feel you. my 6 year old son does the same thing. He tells me I am "yelling" at him, and I "hurt" his feelings. I never knew that pulling rank as the parents was such an emotional ordeal. He got angry at the store today and refused to talk or tell me what was wrong. Turns out he was upset I didn't offer to buy him an over priced soda.

YES! I know teen years are going to blow.

But I just needed a quick vent as I am riding solo and needed a shoulder for a second.

I knew as soon as I hit "POST" I set my self up. I just wanted someone to say I feel ya. Been there. Yep, it sucks.

Girl. My son is 7 and constantly does the same thing. Except he started at about 8 months and has never stopped. I don't give in either and he still hasn't figured it out. We were running errands today at the mall...we had one more stop...he said he didn't want to...I HAD to pick up a gift I had ordered for a friends baby shower tomorrow. I already ordered it and paid for it, I just needed to go to the store and pick it up. It was about 5 stores down from the store we were already in. I had already dealt with the mall parking, really not feeling doing it again tomorrow when we are already there. He threw such a fit...on the floor, kicking, yelling, etc. When we came home he lost all his privileges (meaning he can't do anything except read, color, or do puzzles). When it was time to go to bed he threw another fit. Now he has lost tv/video games tomorrow. We will see if he behaves for his sitter tomorrow while I go to this stupid shower haha.

8 months ... :faint:

Have fun at the shower. Escape, get out, enjoy sweet sweet freedom. :goodvibes

I feel you. my 6 year old son does the same thing. He tells me I am "yelling" at him, and I "hurt" his feelings. I never knew that pulling rank as the parents was such an emotional ordeal. He got angry at the store today and refused to talk or tell me what was wrong. Turns out he was upset I didn't offer to buy him an over priced soda.

Oh yes, "you hurt my feelings." That's in dd's arsenal. Sorry, if you defy and disobey you're going to get in trouble. If I hurt your feelings so be it.

YES! I know teen years are going to blow.

But I just needed a quick vent as I am riding solo and needed a shoulder for a second.

I knew as soon as I hit "POST" I set my self up. I just wanted someone to say I feel ya. Been there. Yep, it sucks.

We have been there, and it's hard.

I am riding solo too. I really do feel ya. Its so hard sometimes when you don't have anyone to trade off with, but then again we don't have to share the good times either.

Yes...8 months I kid you not. When he didn't want to be held he'd turn limp while pressing down all his body weight and slide right out of your arms. In the car seat he'd turn into some kind of wild animal with incredible strength fighting the harness. And whenever you took something away from him or said no he would roll around on the floor kicking and screaming.

I don't even try to hold him anymore unless he seeks it out. I have finally, successfully beaten him down on sitting in the booster seat nicely with the shoulder strap forward. But goodness....kicking and screaming on the floor is still his signature move...except he's not nearly as distractible as he was at 8 months!

Oh and I plan to enjoy the shower. I plan to put away all the leftovers and help clean everything before I return home!
wow so sorry you are going through this, it sounds like it's more then an attitude problem with him has he ever been tested for add or autism

I don't even try to hold him anymore unless he seeks it out. I have finally, successfully beaten him down on sitting in the booster seat nicely with the shoulder strap forward. But goodness....kicking and screaming on the floor is still his signature move...except he's not nearly as distractible as he was at 8 months!

Oh and I plan to enjoy the shower. I plan to put away all the leftovers and help clean everything before I return home!

The BOLD statement breaks my heart.

I had a friend that had anger issues with her son that started around our kids age. They tried for quite a while to deal with it on their own (thinking he'd out grow it) but his behavior progressively got worse. He was tested and they discovered ADD. He's on medication now and striving in school and at home. My friends wished they wouldn't have waited so long to seek treatment.

I'm not saying that is anywhere near your scenario, but if it keeps progressing it may be worth being checked out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter