• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I'm normally a Disney girl, so here are my thoughts after almost a week at Universal (includes motion sickness report)

michellej47

Mouseketeer
I'm not a trip reporter, but I did want to share my thoughts after getting back from our trip. We are usually a Disney family, but with the increase in cost and decrease in services I'm constantly reading about, we decided to try Universal. After experiencing Disney once over Spring Break, I promised myself that I'd never do another Orlando theme park during Spring Break. Then there was a chance that my daughter was going to dance at Universal this week. When that fell through, we decided to still go. I could talk about this trip in grand detail, but here are my top thoughts, experiences, and observations.

I have been to Universal twice before this, but only for a day or two. This was our first full vacation there.

1. We stayed at the Loews Portofino Bay Resort. With it being Spring Break, I wanted to have the Express Passes. The resort is beautiful and the water taxi to the parks was so convenient. I didn't realize that you go through security at the resort before boarding, so that was really convenient. Great place to stay, and the pool area was neat. The early entry to the park was also helpful.

2. I know there is a lot of back and forth on the boards on the usefulness of Express Passes, but on this trip, they paid off. Saturday and Sunday were the least crowded of the days we were there, but still pretty crowded, and we never waited more than 10 minutes for anything but Hagid's Motorbike and Velocicoaster. Monday and Tuesday were packed, but with the Express Pass, our longest wait (again with the earlier exceptions) was 20 minutes. We saw standby wait times of 55 minutes up to 240 minutes, so we'll worth the cost.

3. Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure is my new favorite ride of any park ever. I rode it 3 times, but could have done it 300 times had the wait not been so long.

4. Early entry - I'm an early bird and so is my son. My husband and daughter, not so much. My son and I were in the park and in line for Hagrid's by 7:18 on Sunday and we waited 2 hours. On Monday, were were in line by 7:03 am and waited an hour and a half. We rode it again that evening so that my husband and daughter could ride and again waited 2 hours. We left on Wednesday morning, but had friends who stayed. They were in the park by 6:30 and in line by 6:45. They waited 30 minutes. So definitely get there well before 7am to avoid the wait. But to me, the wait was worth it! My son walked on to Velocicoaster at 6:58am on Sunday. But we never saw that wait over 55 minutes.

5. Crowds....With the exception of both Harry Potter areas, Universal wins here. There are so many ares in Disney where there are just wall to wall people. We didn't experience as much of that at Universal, except in both Harry Potter areas. Those places are a zoo and moving around was a challenge, especially in Hogsmeade.

5. When it comes to food, Disney wins, hands down. We aren't big foodies when it comes to vacation (except for snacks and sweets) but we thought that the quality of food for what you get is far better at Disney. We spent way too much $$ on food that wasn't that great. Plus, Universal needs a lot of help in the allergy department. They sent me a supposed guide to allergens, but in every restaurant we ate, it was wrong. One really helpful cashier told us that they are changing vendors on a lot of products. While I get that, people with allergies rely on the pre-provided info and had we not spoken to a chef at every restaurant, my son would have ended up sick.

6. I swear they must have turned up the water affects on the 3 water rides. I remember getting a bit wet, but never soaked. We got drenched on all 3. My son and I got stuck on the barges and had to be evacuated, so that was fun.

8. I could spend an entire day just in Harry Potter. I went into every store and watched every show. No one else in my family is a fan, so I sent them off to do other things while I just explored.

9. I get mild to moderate motion sickness, so I stay drugged up most of the time with Bonine. I rode everything in Islands fine with no issues except Hulk and Velocicoaster. I did have to close my eyes on a few of the screen parts of Forbidden Journey. Universal was another story. I rode Rip Ride Rockit (made me a tiny bit woozy) but then immediately went to Transformers. That one did me in. I didn't even attempt any of the other screen rides the rest of the day. I read a lot of folks say that Transformers and Spiderman are the same ride....they were not for me. Spiderman didn't bother me at all. Transformers was rough for me. Gringotts didn't bother me at all. I didn't even attempt Hulk (rode it years ago and it made me ill) or Velocicoaster (I really wanted to try, but decided against it).

10. All in all, we had an awesome trip. While there are still some things that I prefer at Disney, my favorite thing about this trip was how relaxed it was. We had 4 days, and we never felt rushed to get it done. We actually never spent a full day in a park and still rode everything multiple times. At Disney, we have to schedule so much of our day and be in the parks from open til close. Express Pass at Universal is far superior to Fast Pass or Genie/Lightening Lane at Disney. Also, with a premier resort, you also get priority seating at restaurants, so we didn't even have to pre-plan our meals. We will definitely be back!

I'm not a trip reporter, but I did want to share my thoughts after getting back from our trip. We are usually a Disney family, but with the increase in cost and decrease in services I'm constantly reading about, we decided to try Universal. After experiencing Disney once over Spring Break, I promised myself that I'd never do another Orlando theme park during Spring Break. Then there was a chance that my daughter was going to dance at Universal this week. When that fell through, we decided to still go. I could talk about this trip in grand detail, but here are my top thoughts, experiences, and observations.

I have been to Universal twice before this, but only for a day or two. This was our first full vacation there.

1. We stayed at the Loews Portofino Bay Resort. With it being Spring Break, I wanted to have the Express Passes. The resort is beautiful and the water taxi to the parks was so convenient. I didn't realize that you go through security at the resort before boarding, so that was really convenient. Great place to stay, and the pool area was neat. The early entry to the park was also helpful.

2. I know there is a lot of back and forth on the boards on the usefulness of Express Passes, but on this trip, they paid off. Saturday and Sunday were the least crowded of the days we were there, but still pretty crowded, and we never waited more than 10 minutes for anything but Hagid's Motorbike and Velocicoaster. Monday and Tuesday were packed, but with the Express Pass, our longest wait (again with the earlier exceptions) was 20 minutes. We saw standby wait times of 55 minutes up to 240 minutes, so we'll worth the cost.

3. Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure is my new favorite ride of any park ever. I rode it 3 times, but could have done it 300 times had the wait not been so long.

4. Early entry - I'm an early bird and so is my son. My husband and daughter, not so much. My son and I were in the park and in line for Hagrid's by 7:18 on Sunday and we waited 2 hours. On Monday, were were in line by 7:03 am and waited an hour and a half. We rode it again that evening so that my husband and daughter could ride and again waited 2 hours. We left on Wednesday morning, but had friends who stayed. They were in the park by 6:30 and in line by 6:45. They waited 30 minutes. So definitely get there well before 7am to avoid the wait. But to me, the wait was worth it! My son walked on to Velocicoaster at 6:58am on Sunday. But we never saw that wait over 55 minutes.

5. Crowds....With the exception of both Harry Potter areas, Universal wins here. There are so many ares in Disney where there are just wall to wall people. We didn't experience as much of that at Universal, except in both Harry Potter areas. Those places are a zoo and moving around was a challenge, especially in Hogsmeade.

5. When it comes to food, Disney wins, hands down. We aren't big foodies when it comes to vacation (except for snacks and sweets) but we thought that the quality of food for what you get is far better at Disney. We spent way too much $$ on food that wasn't that great. Plus, Universal needs a lot of help in the allergy department. They sent me a supposed guide to allergens, but in every restaurant we ate, it was wrong. One really helpful cashier told us that they are changing vendors on a lot of products. While I get that, people with allergies rely on the pre-provided info and had we not spoken to a chef at every restaurant, my son would have ended up sick.

6. I swear they must have turned up the water affects on the 3 water rides. I remember getting a bit wet, but never soaked. We got drenched on all 3. My son and I got stuck on the barges and had to be evacuated, so that was fun.

8. I could spend an entire day just in Harry Potter. I went into every store and watched every show. No one else in my family is a fan, so I sent them off to do other things while I just explored.

9. I get mild to moderate motion sickness, so I stay drugged up most of the time with Bonine. I rode everything in Islands fine with no issues except Hulk and Velocicoaster. I did have to close my eyes on a few of the screen parts of Forbidden Journey. Universal was another story. I rode Rip Ride Rockit (made me a tiny bit woozy) but then immediately went to Transformers. That one did me in. I didn't even attempt any of the other screen rides the rest of the day. I read a lot of folks say that Transformers and Spiderman are the same ride....they were not for me. Spiderman didn't bother me at all. Transformers was rough for me. Gringotts didn't bother me at all. I didn't even attempt Hulk (rode it years ago and it made me ill) or Velocicoaster (I really wanted to try, but decided against it).

10. All in all, we had an awesome trip. While there are still some things that I prefer at Disney, my favorite thing about this trip was how relaxed it was. We had 4 days, and we never felt rushed to get it done. We actually never spent a full day in a park and still rode everything multiple times. At Disney, we have to schedule so much of our day and be in the parks from open til close. Express Pass at Universal is far superior to Fast Pass or Genie/Lightening Lane at Disney. Also, with a premier resort, you also get priority seating at restaurants, so we didn't even have to pre-plan our meals. We will definitely be back!
Bourne Stuntacular?

Awesome info thank you. My daughter (10) and I are doing a daddy daughter trip in October. We’ve never been there for as we too usually do disney but want to try something new

Yep, Disney is the absolute best in the business for allergies. My wife and I often find ourselves saying “that wouldn’t happen at Disney” when somewhere that isn’t Disney misunderstands or mishandles one of our kids’ allergies.

Like you I also tend tend towards motion sickness, and for me the scopalamine patch is an absolute marvel.

Great recap. Thanks for sharing all the fun!!!

ETA we also loved Portofino, first stay in Oct. such a nice resort. And agree with you on Transformers. It is worse than Spiderman, which I love,and can usually ride all the way through w/o closing my eyes much, but last trip, I thought Transformers would never end...could be I rode on empty stomach, but ugh!

Last edited:

We stayed there before....great hotel. Only thing I'd like to contribute is that I doubt Disney would close off the hotel pool at 4pm for an entire evening for a corporate event where they were just standing around little tables. We're pretty much roll with the punches kind of people but that made us upset.

Agree with most of what OP said. We started traveling to Orlando Theme parks in 2018, 1st being at WDW. We then booked USO in 2019.

We been to USO 4 times since 2019 and always a blast. Stayed at Portofino 3 times and Royal Pacific once. Portofino bay is a winner for us.

I agree on the dining front. There is a lot of work to be done here in both areas of Table and quick service. Also CityWalk has a few nice spots but too many chain restaurants. Also Universal should really consider some character meals. I dont' think they have any of these at this time.

Express Pass worth it's weight and gold. I remember our 1st trip to WDW back in 2018 and I remember with Fastness and restaurants rezzies, it was like having a hour-by-hour schedule. The USO trip was effortless in planning. no ride booking. It's almost not comparable to Genie+ I almost wish WDW went this route, while I would assume it would have been $200+ a day it would have really made sense.

Universal is kinda a hidden GEM, but I think the cat is out the bag now and with Epic coming, I think we may soon loose the VALUE we get today. $350 annual pass is amazing. Paid itself on the 1st trip. Not sure how long this will last before pricing creeps up to WDW.

Been frustrated with the early entry, seems like universal has issues with ride delay or going down often. Most of our early admission has been waiting in down or delayed rides. Hagrids delayed start Thursday. Aqua coaster at volcano down 30 min Friday and now stuck in line for hagrids not moving for 60 minutes again while it’s down and Velocicoaster is also delayed. Get here early to still wait in line. Will be sticking to Disney.

Last edited:
6. I swear they must have turned up the water affects on the 3 water rides. I remember getting a bit wet, but never soaked.
When we went in 2017 we were absolutely drenched with exception to River Adventure because we were sat in the back rows and just got little droplets (in comparison I should say) but Dudley and the Barges just soaked. We chose to ride all 3 back to back so that way we just got wet then dried out, which we did that by sitting just behind the splash zone of River Adventure and just people watched there and had lunch.

Yes Universal never really focused on in-park food options. Even the Harry Potter places to eat while nice for Universal aren't the most amazing all things considered (they're totally fine but not super amazing IYKWIM). CityWalk is sorta where they focused their attention on and I think for its location being right there connected to the parks is a plus but when compared Disney with just the sheer amount of options (and the attention towards being allergy friendly destination) they win out there even if for Disney they have to replicate options enough to spread out people.

I agree on the dining front. There is a lot of work to be done here in both areas of Table and quick service. Also CityWalk has a few nice spots but too many chain restaurants. Also Universal should really consider some character meals. I dont' think they have any of these at this time.
While I agree I think for them they don't want to be too much like WDW.

There are character meals but not ones available at the moment (there was a Marvel one at Cafe 4 at IOA for instance) or they are seasonal (HHN, Christmas). They do have Despicable Me breakfast at Royal Pacific that was on Saturdays but I don't know if they are still doing that right now.

TBH I like that they aren't filled with character dining. I feel like that would take away options (and affordability) from those who aren't really into that thing. Keep in mind they are more limited on space. I do wonder what offerings they will have for Epic Universe, if there is to be a Monsters-oriented theme in parts of it that could be a neat experience. But I personally wouldn't want too many Character meals if that means other options are very limited.

That said I've always thought they could amp up what meals they have but I for one appreciate that I don't need to do the rat race feeling like WDW. They just need to improve on the options they do have. In fairness I don't have a harsh opinion for Universal in this because they excel at other things that Disney does not.

We were there this past week too. Agree on Express Pass, Portofino's convenience, and Transformers. When we were on Spiderman the screen part of the ride actually broke (it was like if a DVD suddenly stopped, then skipped ahead) but it kept moving out of sync and I had to close my eyes. Transformers, Minions, and the Simpsons ride are all one and done for me, and I don't really feel a need to do Spiderman again either. I'm sure I'll go on Forbidden Journey again because my son loves it but it definitely made me feel a bit green both times we rode it. I was fine on Gringotts, Velocicoaster, and Hagrid's. I just think if screens aren't perfectly synced with the movement it messes me up. I have never had a problem with Flight of Passage, Soarin, or Smuggler's Run over at Disney. My mom preferred the food at Universal to Disney, but we did table service at Bice, Mythos, Lombards and Toothsome, which were better than the character meal buffets or AYCTE meals we've often done at Disney. The only meh meal for me was at Confiscos. One last thing I'll add is that the play areas are really great and something Disney sorely lacks outside of the Dumbo playground at MK. My kids spent a lot of time in the Camp Jurassic and the Dr Seuss playground areas in IOA.

The problem with transformers is not motion sickness but that the ride is physically hard on the body and not smooth like Spiderman. You get physically beat up on transformers because the restraints don't hold you in and you end up bouncing around and hitting the hard plastic inside the vehicle.

We were there this past week too. Agree on Express Pass, Portofino's convenience, and Transformers. When we were on Spiderman the screen part of the ride actually broke (it was like if a DVD suddenly stopped, then skipped ahead) but it kept moving out of sync and I had to close my eyes. Transformers, Minions, and the Simpsons ride are all one and done for me, and I don't really feel a need to do Spiderman again either. I'm sure I'll go on Forbidden Journey again because my son loves it but it definitely made me feel a bit green both times we rode it. I was fine on Gringotts, Velocicoaster, and Hagrid's. I just think if screens aren't perfectly synced with the movement it messes me up. I have never had a problem with Flight of Passage, Soarin, or Smuggler's Run over at Disney. My mom preferred the food at Universal to Disney, but we did table service at Bice, Mythos, Lombards and Toothsome, which were better than the character meal buffets or AYCTE meals we've often done at Disney. The only meh meal for me was at Confiscos. One last thing I'll add is that the play areas are really great and something Disney sorely lacks outside of the Dumbo playground at MK. My kids spent a lot of time in the Camp Jurassic and the Dr Seuss playground areas in IOA.

Yes, it`s the screens on Simpsons and Transformers that get me every time, nothing to do with being flung around. Screen based rides cause the issue and it`s not fun.

TM`s told me that was why Transformers knocked me, similar to what you described with the screens having higher pixelation and being slightly out of synch at times.

Glad you had such a good trip though after your rough start!!

The problem with transformers is not motion sickness but that the ride is physically hard on the body and not smooth like Spiderman. You get physically beat up on transformers because the restraints don't hold you in and you end up bouncing around and hitting the hard plastic inside the vehicle.

Nope, most folks have issues with the screen, that`s what causes the motion sickness issues in folks who suffer from it.

My daughter was at universal with her band the week before we went to Disney, she is a huge HP fan, so she loved that area. She highly recommends buying the wand that allows you to activate the "magic" around the park, it is very interactive and can be used if you go back at a different time.

Been frustrated with the early entry, seems like universal has issues with ride delay or going down often. Most of our early admission has been waiting in down or delayed rides. Hagrids delayed start Thursday. Aqua coaster at volcano down 30 min Friday and now stuck in line for hagrids not moving for 60 minutes again while it’s down and Velocicoaster is also delayed. Get here early to still wait in line. Will be sticking to Disney.
Same thing happened to me at Epcot on our deluxe hotel bonus hours...so not really a Disney/Universal thing. Rides go down.

I'm happy you had a great time! Universal is pretty much equal to Disney for me now. I love the thrill rides like Hulk and Velocicoaster, plus the premier hotels and express access make it a such a great experience (for less money than what Disney charges for tickets and resorts).

Hagrid's used to be my absolute favorite, but I think after this weekend it's now Velocicoaster. Hagrid's is just a bit too tame, and the huge line doesn't help.

Almost all of my trips are split between Disney and Universal now. 2 or 3 nights in a premier hotel, plus 3 or 4 nights at Disney. And a Universal AP pays for itself in 3 or 4 days, or faster if you get a passholder resort rate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter