I'm new & have lots & lots of question!

Hi all,

I am new to this board & have a lot of questions :confused3 . I am planning my DW trip for January 2006. I plan on staying at the POP or a moderate resort depending on the $$$. It is just
me and my husband going & we do not plan on renting a car. So here are my questions, thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide for me:

1. What is the general consensus about the Extra Hours pass? Is it worth the $$$, do you really get a lot of extra hours?

2. Does POP have buses that run to all the Disney locations or just the 4 major parks? I am looking to go to Downtown Disney & Wide World of Sports. Will buses take us there?

3. Is the dining plan worth getting? It sounds like a good deal but when I was looking at the brochure I noticed that half of the restaurants listed are at other resorts. We are not renting a car so my question is: Is there a way to get to the resorts from POP? I am thinking about not getting the dining plan if I have no way of getting to half the restaurants. I’m pretty sure they are not within walking distance…right?

4. How can I get to Universal & Sea World from POP? I am guessing buses don’t run to those places since they aren’t “Disney”? Can the front desk get me a cab or some other mode of transportation to those places? An idea how much a cab would cost to get to Sea World or Universal?

5. We are going in January & I have read/heard that some of the parks close as early as 5pm. Is this true? Has this caused a problem for anyone?

6. Do the restaurants in the park close when the park closes? I.e.: 5pm?

7. Has anyone had a bad experience with the Magical Express Service? Are they easy to find once you land and get into the airport?

8. What is the weather like in January? Cold? Hot? Do I pack shorts & tank tops or coat & gloves? Or both? Does it rain a lot?

9. I plan on requesting a non-connected, non-smoking, king size bed, top floor of the 50’s or 70’s building? What are the chances I will get what I am asking for?

10. Is there a huge difference between the POP (I seem to think its better the All-Star hotels) & moderate hotels? I do not plan on spending a lot of time in the room, only sleeping, showering, etc. I plan on being gone a large majority of the time. Is POP right for me?

My last question is, there might not be anyone that can help me with this one but:
How are the restaurants at dealing with special dietary need? My husband suffers from Celiac Sprue (he’s allergic to gluten, wheat, oats , barley, rye & a lot more) & I want to know how difficult it will be for him to eat well while we are there.

Thanks so much to all who provide me with any help. I greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
:earsgirl: Kris & Steve :earsboy:

Hi and welcome to the DIS! :wave:

I don't have answers to all your questions, but I'll try a few...

Kris & Steve said:
2. Does POP have buses that run to all the Disney locations or just the 4 major parks? I am looking to go to Downtown Disney & Wide World of Sports. Will buses take us there?

POP has buses that run to all the Disney parks and yes, Downtown Disney. I'm not sure about Wide world of sports. Once you take a bus to DTD, you can take a bus to any other resort from there.

Kris & Steve said:
3. Is the dining plan worth getting? It sounds like a good deal but when I was looking at the brochure I noticed that half of the restaurants listed are at other resorts. We are not renting a car so my question is: Is there a way to get to the resorts from POP? I am thinking about not getting the dining plan if I have no way of getting to half the restaurants. I’m pretty sure they are not within walking distance…right?

As far as the dining plan...there are mixed reviews. I think it depends on your eating styles. Check the Restaurants board, there are lots of people's reviews of their experiences w/the plan there.

Sorry I can't help more, but I'm sure others will have answers to more of your questions!!

Hello and WELCOME!!!!

Kris & Steve said:
Hi all,

I am new to this board & have a lot of questions :confused3 . I am planning my DW trip for January 2006. I plan on staying at the POP or a moderate resort depending on the $$$. It is just
me and my husband going & we do not plan on renting a car. So here are my questions, thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide for me:?

Kris & Steve said:
1. What is the general consensus about the Extra Hours pass? Is it worth the $$$, do you really get a lot of extra hours?

Kris, if you are referring to the extended park hours, there is not an extra cost. This is of no charge to all guests staying on WDW property. I think the evening hours are great, I would totally pass on the morning hours.

Kris & Steve said:

Yes, POP does have busses that will take you to and from each of those locations.

Kris & Steve said:

Kris, I truly feel that with just you and your husband going it can be worth it, but you have to make your dining plans early and compare dinner prices to make it worth it. You can use it at Concourse Steakhouse, for most character dining and some of the dinner shows.

You can use Disney transportation to get to those other locations...we found it to be convenient and a great idea.

Kris & Steve said:
4. How can I get to Universal & Sea World from POP? I am guessing buses don’t run to those places since they aren’t “Disney”? Can the front desk get me a cab or some other mode of transportation to those places? An idea how much a cab would cost to get to Sea World or Universal?

My suggestion is to use Mears to and from. It is much more cost effective than a cab.

Kris & Steve said:
5. We are going in January & I have read/heard that some of the parks close as early as 5pm. Is this true? Has this caused a problem for anyone?

This I cannot answer. Sorry. :guilty:

Kris & Steve said:

Yes, unless it is based on a hard-ticket event. If the park closes early doe to one of those events, you are required to have a ticket to that event.

Kris & Steve said:
7. Has anyone had a bad experience with the Magical Express Service? Are they easy to find once you land and get into the airport?

I presonally love this and will use it each time I visit until it is no longer availale.

Kris & Steve said:
8. What is the weather like in January? Cold? Hot? Do I pack shorts & tank tops or coat & gloves? Or both? Does it rain a lot?

See this...........
http://www.discount-tickets.us/orlando-weather.htm

Kris & Steve said:
9. I plan on requesting a non-connected, non-smoking, king size bed, top floor of the 50’s or 70’s building? What are the chances I will get what I am asking for?

I have always had all of my requests filled. I think your chances are good. You do not have to request non-connecting.

Kris & Steve said:
10. Is there a huge difference between the POP (I seem to think its better the All-Star hotels) & moderate hotels? I do not plan on spending a lot of time in the room, only sleeping, showering, etc. I plan on being gone a large majority of the time. Is POP right for me?

For us, we always pick moderates. The rooms are a bit larger, but also much quieter. I will not stay in a value because of the noise.

Kris & Steve said:
My last question is, there might not be anyone that can help me with this one but:
How are the restaurants at dealing with special dietary need? My husband suffers from Celiac Sprue (he’s allergic to gluten, wheat, oats , barley, rye & a lot more) & I want to know how difficult it will be for him to eat well while we are there.

Let them know when you make your PS or as soon as you arrive and they will always work to accommodate you.

Have a great time on your trip.

In my experience I love going in January as crowds are very light. Its true the parks do usually close earlier then usual, usually around 7PM if I am not mistaken, but I have never had any problems with that, and it gives you planned downtime, believe me you do NOT want to be running around Magic Kingdom from 10AM to 10PM straight, but you can when it closes at 7PM its a lot more manageable, especially as just a couple (like my husband and I)

As far as I am aware yes, expect EPCOT the world showcase and restaurants are open until 9PM for Illuminations. We usually eat a small breakfast, and big lunch, which is a good option during this time period at Disney, as its cheaper too.

Haven't used it yet.

Both, My husband and I have gone in January for the past four years and weather has been everything from 80 degrees and shorts, to 49 degrees and coats, last year was the coldest so I am hoping it will be warmer this year. POP is really good for this as all the buildings are close to the main building and bus stop.

It has rained VERY little in the years we have been to Disney in January.

It will be a connecting room, all King Beds in POP are connecting rooms, but its a door that's locked on both ends, if didn't bother me at all last year when we where there for a week. Last January we requested a KING bed in the 80's building and got it, I think your chances are pretty good, but its never a guarantee. Before you get there consider which is the most important (like King Bed is more important then 70's building etc)and if they say well we can give you this, and its not your top priority they can usually find a different room, they did this for us.

Some people will disagree but I think POP is a lot better then the All Stars, the themeing is more well...enjoyable for adults (as its all based on decades) plus they do give you the Disney soap bar and shampoo bottle instead of the all-in-one liquid soap. Plus the POP buses are only for POP and no other resorts, while the All Stars all share the same buses. POP is the only resort I have actually used the buses for and they have always been very easy and quick to use.

Moderates are not a huge amount different from POP, some are more spread out (Caribbean Beach and Coronado) plus the theming is better, and more sedate, more food options (POP only has a food court, most moderates have a sit down of some sort) plus Moderates have a hot tub, Coronado has the largest. Coronado is my favorite, as while its spread out its BEAUTIFUL to walk through. Have always rented a car at a Moderate so can't speak about transportation.

Can't help you a whole lot here, but Disney is usually very accomodating hopefully someone can answer this question better.

Jennifer

Welcome to the DIS . The DIS comes though again. :banana: :Pinkbounc :banana:

I havent been to Disney World but I would think it would be cold in January. :cold:

Welcome to the Dis :wave2: Make sure you ask your questions on the boards to get your questions answered.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter