I'm never going home

Kath2003

DIS Veteran
...this is really weird.

I've not lived at home since I was 18 and went off to university 5 years ago.

I just got a job in Plymouth, which I moved to 5 months ago to go on teaching practice. I like it here, I don't have many friends here yet but the ones I do are awesome.

I just suddenly realised that this summer I'll be clearing out my room at home, at my parents house where I grew up for 18 years.

It's weird. I've not lived there in so long and there's nothing I REALLY have there, just a spare winter coat or two and some books etc. but it's going to be so weird that my room will once again become the guest room.

I so know what you mean. I graduated from college last year and moved to another state. When I went to visit my parents in January, DH and I had to sleep on an air mattress on the living room floor and "my" room was now my dad's office (he owns his own business). Things will never be the same again.

:hug: When I was in my junior year of college my mom called to announce she'd sold the house and was moving with her new husband to Texas. This wasn't a surprise to me, but then she said "come home and get what you want because I'm not taking any of your things along." It was lots of fun going through my room and trying to figure out what I could cram into my dorm room. My childhood home doesn't even exist anymore. :rotfl:

Congratulations on your job!

Awww ... :hug:

My parents haven't changed our rooms. My uses them for storage for her fabrics but she moves them out when we come to visit. The only thing different in my room is that she added new curtains and pictures. Oh and there is a crib in there now!!

My mom redecorated my bedroom my junior year of college. I hadn't been home for more than a week or two at a time in 2 years. I had summer jobs on campus, so I stayed up here. I was shocked to get home and see my "treasures" boxed up, new curtains, bedspreads, and paint! I still slept there when I went home, but it really wasn't "my" room anymore. It's now a guest bedroom, with twin beds, so when DH and I stay the night, we're across the room from each other!

Its so odd to see this thread today.
Just yesterday I took a drive by my childhood home. It was purchased brand new in 1968 for $17,500. And for many years has belonged to other people. It looks so small to me.

But the home I miss the most is my grandparents. I go back there a lot. I just close my eyes before I go to sleep and I am there. Sometimes I hear my grandparents talk and laugh, other times I hear the water in the kitchen running and dishes clanging. I always smell mothballs and feel safe. :cloud9:

So don't say that you are never going home....you can always go back.

This reminds me of Randy Pausch -- The Last Lecture. In the book he talks about how he painted his room at home when he was younger. He painted what looked like a working elevator. He painted a rocket ship another other things. His parents have never repainted that room.

My parents put a pool table in my room when I moved out, a huge, heavy object that cannot be easily moved. Think they wanted me to come back? I think there was a message there somewhere. :rotfl2:

He was on the Oprah(Randy Pausch) show several weeks ago and they went back to his childhood home and showed his room!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter