I'm in shape. Round is a shape... isn't it? (Comments welcome...)

caribbeanme

Where the humuhumunukunukuapu'a go swimmin' by..
Hi all-

Starting my way down the dieting path. Frankly, this path is so well taken that I've dug it up, paved it, and put up ornamental plants...this ain't my first dieting rodeo. I have been overweight all my life. Well, all the life I can remember, 'cuz I have seen pictures of me at age 3 where I am sporting the most ridiculous 70s psychedelic bikini. But I'm slim and I have a smile on my face. I can confidently say that that was the last time I was happy to take a picture in a swimsuit.

I think I have about 150 pounds to lose, give or take. Me and the scale are having a Cold War since last year. But my husband (newly minted) has made me promise that I will get on the scale tomorrow. I don't wanna.

I still don't have a plan, per se. I am looking at meal delivery services because my relationship with food is so disfunctional that I wouldn't know a proper portion if my life depended on it.

Which it kind of does. While my blood tests and pressure seem to be ok, I know that it's just a matter of time. If my family is any indication, I am at risk of heart disease, stroke, breast cancer, skin cancer, diabetes, and Alzheimer's. I was fine until my husband saw the new show Ruby (on the Style channel), and started hugging me and was thisclose to crying. My pillar of strength was losing it because he thought I could die. And that did me in. It's easy to ignore my weight and health. Indeed, I'm a pro at ignoring them...I mean, how else did I get to be this fat? But seeing him be afraid for me was more than I could take.

So here I go again. Frankly, I would like to learn how to scuba dive. I would like to wear a seatbelt without struggling with it. I would like to get on an airplane and not whisper to the airline hostess that I need a seatbelt extender, or pray that I don't make the person seated next to me uncomfortable. I would like to walk, to run even, without feeling winded.

I would like to get on Disney rides without feeling like I'll need someone to unwedge me when I get out. I would like to ride Primeval Whirl without feeling like it will actually tip all the way over because of my weight. I'd like to go to Universal Studios Islands of Adventure and not have to try the pudge seats to figure out if I can ride.

I would like to not be embarrassed. Maybe smile in a swimsuit again.

In any case, this is my diary. Feel free to comment, say hi, or demand that I post some ACTUAL dieting stuffage.

I expect that the next few posts will be about me trying to figure out how I'm going to do this. And off we go...

All the news that's fit to print:

November 24, 2008:
Starting weight: 327 (November 16, 2008)
Present Weight: 324 lbs
BMI: Pending
Measurements: Pending
Weight loss this week: 3 pounds
Weight loss to date: 3 pounds

Good morning,

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It sounds like you are ready to go.The main starting point is to have your head in a place that says that I am worth it!!!!!!!!There is no "diet" that will do that for you.

The easiest way to look at food is think about how the cavemen survived.Yeah I know it sounds stupid but believe me it works.Everytime you prepare your food think if it was something the caveman would have had- that means nothing with perservatives.Everything else is OK for us to have and believe me mixed with exercise that weight melts off.I know I did this last fall and lost 25 lbs with not alot of effort.I was exercising I have to say but the food never became an issue because I was satified all the time.

Meat,fruits,veggies,nuts,eggs- no starchs except a potato every now and then.I did mix in yogurt and cottage cheese that cavemen did not have but need that calcium too.

Keep posting here and tell me how it is going!I will be cheering you on! Don't forget the exercise.

Linda

Thank you, Linda!! It's such a mind-shift, from thinking of food as something that's fun and carefree to something that I actually have to think about before I dig in. But I'm determined. :)

Hi there!:banana:
This isn't the first diet rodeo I've been on either. I've been struggling with my weight most of my life..I was actually a little UNDERWEIGHT until about 4th or 5th grade. Then, thanks to puberty, it all started to sort of pile on. :( I've been yo-yoing up and down since. Logically, if you add up all the weight I've lost over the years, I theoretically should be dangling from a charm bracelet.:rotfl:

I decided that THIS is going to be the year I finally get my act together. I turned 30 back in Sept and decided I just don't want to be fat any more. Of course, I do still struggle but I think I'm improving a little bit every day. Thanks to my Wii Fit, I'm exercising more than ever and if I ever get a handle on my binge eating, I might just have it made. :)

. . . Logically, if you add up all the weight I've lost over the years, I theoretically should be dangling from a charm bracelet.:rotfl:

*snort* Right there with you..it's nuts, isn't it?

I decided that THIS is going to be the year I finally get my act together. . . .Thanks to my Wii Fit, I'm exercising more than ever and if I ever get a handle on my binge eating, I might just have it made. :)

Me too..well, I am *mumblemumble* years old, but I think it's about time. I have a Wii Fit but I can't seem to focus on doing it daily. I may add it to my weekly regimen though. It's fun, and it may be exactly the thing to do when I'm resisting exercise. :D

First!

Exercise:

15 minutes on an elliptical in the fat burn mode= 113 calories

Started off peppy with my mp3 player, but around minute 3 I wanted to kill the person who invented the elliptical. Around minute 5 I wanted to kill my husband for standing there on solid ground with a cup of tea watching me suffer (SAVE ME, for pete's sake! :D), and around minute 7 I had an out of body experience where I may, stress "may", have started talking to myself out loud. The last 8 minutes are a blur, but I know I tried meditating (which I don't know how to do, so yeah, not effective) and just closing my eyes and refusing to look at the "countdown to pain", otherwise known as the electronic readout thingie on the elliptical.

Food:
I still don't have my BistroMd meals, but I decided to try to eat more prudently and consciously. Had a bowl of Frosted Flakes, some tea, a PowerBar for lunch, some skim milk, and a plate of chicken and pasta for dinner with a diet coke. Lots of snackies in the house calling to me, but I have a yogurt on hand just in case.

General diet stuffage:
Joined www.traineo.com so that I can have my dieting journey tracked, plotted and pie charted. You can follow me here: http://caribbeanme.traineo.com/

Husband watch:
He just ordered that P90X program they advertise on tv (behold the craziness here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doTvXJ4k390). He is incredibly excited, and I am excited for him. I guess he wants to be on this journey with me in some way, and I appreciate that and love him so much for it. Still, I bet dollars to donuts that more than one one person in this household will be crying because of exercise VERY SOON. :D

Thanks for reading!

Hi Caribbeanme! Congratulations on taking that first, hardest step onto the scale. It sounds like your head is in the right place to make a change for life - starting a journal is actually a big step too. I love your first post - you have a way with words and I look forward to reading more from you as you progress on your journey!

Don't feel bad, I talk to myself all the time.:upsidedow Especially when I'm working out. Like, when I do the Warrior Pose or the lunges on Wii Fit, I push my arms OUT with every exhale and say "Push out the fat!". With every inhale I bring my arms back in and say "Bring in the good!". I don't know if it's working or not, but it makes me feel better.:upsidedow

NEWS FLASH:

3 pounds lost! And it was effortless..who knew? Scroll down for stats. :) I did fifteen minutes of exercise every other day, made a point of drinking water, ate sensibly for breakfast and lunch, and poof the pounds went. I am pleased.

Today I started BistroMD, and am very happy with the food. I could list absolutely everything that I ate, but it would be tedious and probably not helpful to anyone since they're pre-prepared meals. If you're interested, the menus are HERE. I am on the Orange menu this week, which meant some gnummy jambalaya for lunch and some chicken with bleu cheese for dinner. The breakfast wasprettyfoulbutIshallnotfocusonitexcepttosay *breathe* thatitwasavanilladonut IN NAME ONLY *breathe*

I am not on the snacks plan, so I supplemented with an oatmeal Clif bar, which was also gnummers.

I have not done any exercise today, unless pulling out my collection of exercise DVDs I've never opened and splaying them on the floor where they'll probably stay for the next day or so is exercise. I am one of those people who likes to prepare to lose weight by buying stuff, but never gets around to the actual work of it. Typically, I went ahead and purchased two more DVDs on sale this week (Yoga and Pilates), both of which are now staring at me from the bookcase...unopened, naturally. I also have a fresh spanking new Pilates mat. I realize, probably late for today's sake, that I SUCK at working out at night. Horrible. Can't do it. After a long day, I just really want to get some snuggles from my husband and watch brain rotting tv. Ideally, with the words "Housewives" and "Atlanta" somewhere in the title.

Anyway, I hope everyone else has a magnificent wonderful tomorrow.

As promised, stats:
November 24, 2008:
Starting weight: 327 (November 16, 2008)
Present Weight: 324 lbs
BMI: Pending
Measurements: Pending
Weight loss this week: 3 pounds
Weight loss to date: 3 pounds

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter