I'm going to sound so greedy now.....

florida-again

DIS Cast Member<br><font color=red>According to th
...but I was wondering how to get the most for your money as far as food is concerned. This is a once in a lifetime trip for us so I'd like to...well....stuff myself silly basically!

Can anyone suggest a 'food itinerary' to make sure you get the most from all the food available on the cruise.

i would suggest not wasting too much time on breakfast...enjoy the croissants and rolls along with juice and save room for lunch...i personally was not impressed with regular breakfast...it was about the same as any regular restaurant buffet except for mickey waffles!

Do brunch at Palo though! The food was incredible and well worth it!

I suggest going to the sit down places for breakfast and lunch (at least do it once if you are on the shorter cruise, or three times if you are on the seven night). We found really like going to Triton's on Nassau day on the shorter cruises.

Also, try having everyone with you order a different dessert for dinner and everyone sharing a taste. Or order a couple of desserts each so you can give them a try.

DJ

First, if you don't like something, ask for something else. Every once in a while I will hear someone complain about the food. Tell the server, s/he will be more than happy to accomodate you.

2nd- If you want 2 appetizers or 2 entrees, just order it!!! This is a perfect time to try new things!!!!

I agree, at dinner if you see things you like or may not normally order and pay for to try - get them. I did that on my last cruise. I always wanted to try Mahi Mahi, but wouldn't order it at a restaurant normally. They had it one night so the waiter brought me a plate along with my regularly ordered entree. Lobster tails.... eat them till you are stuffed. Just enjoy. If you see something you want ask for it. If you don't see something you want ask for it, they will more than likely be able to get it for you. Enjoy!!!!

I liked the buffet for breakfast. I like to fix my own fixins for my omelet. That was kewl. I was not impressed with the sit down breakfast at all. I think the selection is very slim. But remember you can do both. Go try the dining room breakfast. If you are not happy go to the buffet. Same with lunch and dinner.

You can also double dip if you go tot Palo's. I think that is not quite what you meant as far as free food but Palo's is a really nice surcharge restaurant. I could not imagine goign on a DCL and not going.

Order from room servcie as often as you like. You can have coffee and juice delivered to your room prior to going to breakfast. You can order snacks at any time of the day or a meal. You do not have to eat all of it. You can order the cheese platter, rice crisipy treats, cookies, cake of the day, etc. Just have some $1 handy.

Oh yeah while I was typing this my door bell rang, My documents are here oh yeah oh yeah!! :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

Go to Scoops and enjoy the fruit. You can take as much as you like with you for later or for excursion. I have never taken any food off the ship but I have heard others do this. The navigator will tell you when the fruit will be available and do not foget to have ice cream there.

Also on certain sea days they have panni sandwiches available. I think the hamburgers and hotdogs are good. I did not like the pizza.

Just espect to gain 10 pounds while you are away! I always do.

Here is my advice to get the most for you money as it relates to food...

1) Take your time when eating.
2) Do not be in a rush at meal time.
3) Do not let the idea of having to finish everything on your plate enter your mind! You do not have to eat everything that is placed in front of you! Taste a bit of everything.
4) Order different things at each meal.
5) Order different things at every meal.
6) Order everything if you want.
7) Order things you would not normally eat.
8) Try things that are different (remember, you do not have to finish it)
9) If your do not have a problem with it, share food with others...ask for a clean plate to share off a common plate if you are so inclined!
10) TAKE YOUR TIME WHEN EATING AND ENJOY THE FOOD, THE COMPANY, AND THE VACATION. DO NOT BE IN A HURRY

I'd aggressively look to have as many dinners (and sea-day brunches) at Palo as possible. The rotational restaurants are only ok (maybe see AP for the color changes - 1st night only on the 7 day) compared to Palo. For the price (upcharge) you just can't beat the Palo experience/food quality. So get your brunch and dinner ressies when you board (or in advance if you have the romance package), and then swing by Palo at your first opportunity (when they open the 1st night) to get on the cancellation list - and be ready to be flexible concerning times.

jhorstma said:
I'd aggressively look to have as many dinners (and sea-day brunches) at Palo as possible. The rotational restaurants are only ok (maybe see AP for the color changes - 1st night only on the 7 day) compared to Palo. For the price (upcharge) you just can't beat the Palo experience/food quality. So get your brunch and dinner ressies when you board (or in advance if you have the romance package), and then swing by Palo at your first opportunity (when they open the 1st night) to get on the cancellation list - and be ready to be flexible concerning times.

And actually, you can reserve Palo ressies online before you go. I think for first time DCL cruisers the mark is either 75 or 60 days out.

You can also order snacks from room service to take with you to the movie theater (not the theater the shows are in). Cheaper than buying snacks at the concession stand outside the theater, and saves you having to pack snacks in your luggage.

I think lobster is on Thursday on the 7-night eastern cruise, which is semi-formal night. They have lobster for the main dining rooms, and a different serving of it in Palo that night.

Mortlives said:
Did someone say lobster? When/where is the lobster?

Semi-Formal night (Thursday on our Eastern), unfortunately just lobster tails, but as many as you wish. Eat up!

TheWog said:
Semi-Formal night (Thursday on our Eastern), unfortunately just lobster tails, but as many as you wish. Eat up!
*drool*

Edited to add: Please pass the melted butter.

Zip lock bags in your pockets, fill 'em, and then leave restaurant with zip locks for munching later....

okay, now about Palo--even though it has a modest $10 fee, you will receive a meal, again with ordering multiple appetizers and even mult. entrees if you like, for a pittance compared to what you would spend for a comparable meal of $100 a head or more in most major U.S. cities. So even though there is a cost (and the $10 does not truly cover your tip--tip more plus the $10 fee), it is a great value and food cooked to order in a style that most dinners in the rotation restaurants cannot offer.

There is a section on the Navigator about dining that includes "other dining options" and will list the easily overlooked snacks by the quiet cove pool, the late night hors d'oerves, etc. And if there is a sporting event that yu dont want to miss and so you venture down to Diversions, there is a nice looking jumbo hot dog bar in there.

And if you go to the Buena Vista Theater to see a movie, since there is no fresh popcorn available, what better substitute than fresh hot chicken fingers and fries from plutos.

And cholesterol and calories do not count if incurred on a ship so no worries about weight gain or artery clogging.... :cool1:

TheWog said:

Heard of someone making it a surf-and-turf night by ordering two entrees on that night.

The ziplock bags post below has me spitting iced tea all over my keyboard! :rotfl2:

We actually LIKED the breakfast buffets. The Mickey waffles are great, and there is also one morning (and one morning ONLY, I think) that 'sticky buns' are available at Topsiders. They're very dense cinnamon rolls (my mouth is watering now just thinking about them.) They're served too, at Palo brunch, but not everyone books the brunch.

Also, we always went back to the Magic for lunch, on port days. (Booked our excursions before or after lunch.)

Order plates of cookies from room service. Also, Mickey Ice cream bars are not on the room service menu, but are available, just ask.

If this is a once-in-a-lifetime cruise, don't be shy about ordering all you want. The food servers have seen people order tremendous amounts, you won't be the first. Most are happy to bring whatever you want.

Book the Palo brunch if possible. It's some of the best food you'll ever have! Book the dinner as well. And go to the midnight buffets.

Some cruisers might be appalled :scared1: at my suggestions and encouragement to indulge, but IMHO, it's probably the best part of cruising. I followed all of these suggestions and more. Each DCL I gained at least 5 lbs. (8 lbs on one!) but lost every ounce I gained, and my cholesterol, blood pressure, weight is still normal.

Enjoy! :earsgirl:

I would skip the sit down breakfast and get stuff from the buffets or room service for breakfast instead. Definately do Palo brunch and High tea if you really want to experience everything. We tried to try everything, but it is so hard because you can only eat so much!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter