I'm flying next week... lots of questions!

VSL

I know it's all corporate/business... but it's sti
So, next Wednesday is going to be the first time my BF and I will be flying without anyone older 'supervising'(!) us.

I have numerous questions!

- We will be taking our advent calenders (yes.. we're both 20yrs old and still have to have an advent calender in December!) and will be carrying them in our hand luggage - will we have to declare them on the customs form and what do we declare them as?

- In relation to the last question, does anyone know of anywhere where I could download a 'copy' of the forms that you have to sign on the airplane (just to get some idea of what to expect!)?

- I wear contact lenses and am staying overnight in the Hilton Gatwick the night before we fly. Same goes for my BF. Now, we both intend to put fresh lenses in the next day, but are we allowed to carry the storage case in our hand luggage with us, and some unpressurized saline? (I'll put the peroxide solution I use for overnight storage in the hold baggage)

- Am I right in thinking that all pressurized containers are to be stored in the hold luggage?

- As we'll be staying overnight I will also have my electric toothbrush with me (Oral B, rechargable). Will it be OK to carry this in my hand luggage?

- What about my BF's electric/rechargable shaver (no open blades)?

- In fact, I'm sure that any electrical items are meant to be carried in hand luggage - is this right? Would it apply to our rechargable stuff (mentioned above)?

- I take a contraceptive pill and will be carrying two packs on me in my hand luggage. Will I need a doctors note for these?

- Also, will my BF and I need notes from our opticians with regard to our contact lens accessories?

- Pens and the like are allowed on the plane, right?

- Some of the stuff I will be carrying in my hold luggage seems kind of strange to the untrained eye! The majority of toiletries I will be taking will be from 'Lush'. The body soap and shampoo stuff won't be a problem, but I will be taking a solid deodorant block and some strange looking facial cleansers - are customs likely to rip these open/apart and destroy them?! Or will they see them, roll their eyes, and think 'girls!'?

- Are you allowed to carry a brush in your hand luggage?

TIA!

I know some of my questions seem a bit stupid ('she doesn't know that?!') and strange, but I will greatly appreciate any answers you can give me!

I'm sure I'll be back with more before the week is up!

VSL said:
So, next Wednesday is going to be the first time my BF and I will be flying without anyone older 'supervising'(!) us.

I have numerous questions!

- We will be taking our advent calenders (yes.. we're both 20yrs old and still have to have an advent calender in December!) and will be carrying them in our hand luggage - will we have to declare them on the customs form and what do we declare them as?

Why would you have to declare advent calendars? They are just cardboard arent they? Unless you have the chocolate ones.. in which case.. I dunno. Personally i would pack these in the case.
- I wear contact lenses and am staying overnight in the Hilton Gatwick the night before we fly. Same goes for my BF. Now, we both intend to put fresh lenses in the next day, but are we allowed to carry the storage case in our hand luggage with us, and some unpressurized saline? (I'll put the peroxide solution I use for overnight storage in the hold baggage)

yes of course!

- As we'll be staying overnight I will also have my electric toothbrush with me (Oral B, rechargable). Will it be OK to carry this in my hand luggage?

I would take a regular toothbrush. You wont be able to use this on holiday anyway unless you get an adapter. A normal toothbrush for two weeks is the way to go!
How are you planning to recharge this? with an adapter?

- In fact, I'm sure that any electrical items are meant to be carried in hand luggage - is this right? Would it apply to our rechargable stuff (mentioned above)?

I always pack my hairdryers etc. Otherwise we would need a handluggage bag the size of a suitcase!

- I take a contraceptive pill and will be carrying two packs on me in my hand luggage. Will I need a doctors note for these?
Not as far as Im aware!
- Also, will my BF and I need notes from our opticians with regard to our contact lens accessories?
No!
um.. yes!!
- Some of the stuff I will be carrying in my hold luggage seems kind of strange to the untrained eye! The majority of toiletries I will be taking will be from 'Lush'. The body soap and shampoo stuff won't be a problem, but I will be taking a solid deodorant block and some strange looking facial cleansers - are customs likely to rip these open/apart and destroy them?! Or will they see them, roll their eyes, and think 'girls!'?

They will be fine. Lush is available in the USA.

yes!

No need to declare them.

- In relation to the last question, does anyone know of anywhere where I could download a 'copy' of the forms that you have to sign on the airplane (just to get some idea of what to expect!)?

The form is called the I-94 (or I-94W); I can not find a copy on the web, but it is a trivial form.

Yes, you can carry your contact cases and supplies with you.

- Am I right in thinking that all pressurized containers are to be stored in the hold luggage?

Like what? Hair spray, shaving cream?

Yes.

Fine to carry on.

Doesn't really matter. I carry on a lot of electrical items (PC, iPod) but the chargers may go into the hold.

Nope.

Nope.

Yes.

They won't care.

Yes.

Relax and enjoy your trip; I know this is the first "unsupervised" trip, but please don't get stressed out about packing! There is not all that much you can not carry on board with you; no scissors, sharp knives, swords, or ginsu cleavers. You can even bring nail clippers on board now!

Have a great trip!

Hi Vicky.
You'll be fine with advent calendars. It's stuff like meat and fruit that they don't allow you to take into the states.It's really weird. we got stopped at the border to california and were asked if we had any fresh fruit in our car!?!
Very odd. :confused3
The forms you have to fill in are really straightforward. It asks for your passeport number, address whilst in the states, any convictions etc. If you have any problems the stewardess will help. We needed another form when i thought las vegas was in arizona. :rotfl: You live and learn.
Your lense solution will be fine in your luggage but i would recommend rewetting drops. The aircon on the plane is a killer on your lenses. :earseek: It really dries them up. The drops were a life saver. Also you won't need a doctors note.
I'm not sure about electrical items. I've mainly packed them in the hold luggage but I have had them in my hand luggage as well. We've never had any problems either way.
Can't help with the pill question. Don't take it but would imagine it's fine without doctors note. Also pens are fine in hand luggage. It's tweezers. scissors, knives and lighters they don't allow.
Hope you have a fantastic time. :Pinkbounc We always do.
Fiona

Thanks for the quick responses!

As usual, I'm getting worked up over nothing(!), but it's good to confirm these things.

To clarify a few things:

- The advent calenders are the chocolate ones (that's my fault for leaving that out!)

- I use an electric toothbrush because I'm a lazy brusher and just never manage to clean as well as the electric brush does (my teeth are almost prone to cavities!)

- BF can't use regular razors as he comes out in a rash (all red and irritated - very sensitive skin!)

- I was wondering about pressurized cans like deodorant

- I am going to get some saline and put my lenses in to soak during the flight I think (besides which, everything I'll be looking at on the flight will be well within my vision field) - I just prefer to have my lenses rather than my glasses are they're so much more convenient (but I will be carrying the glasses with me, just in case!). However, I will also get some drops as Fiona suggested!

Thanks again for the quick replies!

ALL electrical goods are better off in your suitcases, that is what we have always done - no room for them in hand luggage anyway.
Toothbrushes etc included.

Deodorant sprays would have to go in suitcases too - however, they are cheap at the supermarkets out there, for us they are just better bought once we arrive - most of the brands stocked will be familiar, Right Guard etc
Toileteries in general we tend to only take special items we MUST have, just as my nice after shave balm for example - they are just as cheap out there so it's just more stuff to take , best avoided if possible...I have an electrical/rechargable shaver that I always pack in a suitcase, never had any problems.

To be honest anything metallic and especially with sharp edges should never be in your hand luggage.

I am sure the chocolate advent calendars will be ok in your suitcases. You may need to be careful how you pack them though.

We always take our Braun Oral B electric toothbrush, which by the way works just fine on USA voltage, with us. We pack the charging base in the suitcase and pack the toothbrush itself in hand luaggage so it can be used at the hotel, though we have put the whole thing in the hand luggage before. An electric razor is fine in your hand luggage as well.

I think you may need to declare your chocolate advent calendars, which may cause some delay. Can you get some without the chocolate?

I'm sure you'll be fine - have a great trip.

gilld said:
We always take our Braun Oral B electric toothbrush, which by the way works just fine on USA voltage, with us. We pack the charging base in the suitcase and pack the toothbrush itself in hand luaggage so it can be used at the hotel, though we have put the whole thing in the hand luggage before. An electric razor is fine in your hand luggage as well.

I think you may need to declare your chocolate advent calendars, which may cause some delay. Can you get some without the chocolate?

I'm sure you'll be fine - have a great trip.

yes you need to answer "yes" to the question about food on the declaration form.....however it will NOT cause any delay....they'll ask you what kind of food - you'll answer chocolate and that will be the end of it...
no delay whatsoever....

it's simply a question of checking the yes box on the declaration form on the food question (you can even write in next to it chocolate - which is what we do.....then they don't even bother asking)...

but you do have to say yes, as chocolate is a food (not an especially healthy one, but food nevertheless)....and the question is regarding whether you have food or not....but again, answering yes to this question does not cause a delay...they'll just ask you one more question (what kind of food)...

if you don't declare it on the customs form you run the risk of a having to pay a penalty for not declaring it...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter